No announcement yet.

everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit late, but here are a few shots from our annual yak trip. This year we when down the Devils. This was our second time down the Devils. She doesn't disappoint.

This year we put in at Del Norte (River Mi. ~15.5) and spent 3 nights/4 days on the water to get down to Big Satan (River Mi ~30). That's about 15 miles in 4 days. We took it easy this year and it was much more enjoyable. We were able to fish as much as we wanted and still make camp with plenty of daylight.

Group pic at Dolan Falls
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-08 13.40.00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	24387772

Here is a little video from Three Tiers rapid. All but one of us made it down without a problem. But the one that didn't got turtled and almost hit his head on a boulder. Luckily he used his hand to keep from smacking his head. His thumb paid the price as it was split open pretty bad. Took a bit to stop the bleeding but luckily it wasn't bad enough to need stiches. Between YouTube and video from a camera, the quality is not the greatest. Sure it is not the most intense rapid, but it sure feels like it when you are in the moment. Actually if there was more flow it would be much easier. The low flow can cause your stern to get hung up and trying to balance on 1" of plastic is impossible so you can roll quickly if you don't carry enough speed through the drops.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYWHN_ei9sg"]2015-04-08 Three Tier Run - YouTube[/ame]

Camp for night one. We actually utilized the gradient boundary for this one. The other two nights we camped on islands. Got a pretty good shower that night that came out of Mexico. Pretty cool to watch the storm roll in that night over the "Texas mountain". Found out rather quickly that our tent was in a small depression in the rock slab. Didn't bother me that night since I was on my sleeping pad, but took a while to dry things out the next morning.

Name:	2015-04-09 06.29.00.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	24387773

This is a picture of what ended up being big bass for the trip. Registered just over 3 lbs. Not bad for a smallie. We were told before launching by the outfitter that in the previous years they typically will link into a few really big ones but they weren't catching them this year.

Name:	2015-04-09 08.40.01.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24387774

This is a pic of me and one of the numerous 2 lb smallies I caught. She ended up being diner along with a couple others.

Name:	2015-04-09 09.14.00.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24387775

For those that haven't been this is a pic of the water clarity. Exceptional! This water is right around 4 foot deep.

Name:	2015-04-09 14.39.01.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24387776

Another 2 lber...

Name:	2015-04-10 10.36.05.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	24387777

And I took home the trophy for 2015! Each trip we decide on what basis the trophy is handed out. This year is was best stringer of three (any bass). I think my stringer was 7 lb 12 oz or something close to that. There were a few big fish that were lost by all parties, but that is all it took this year.

Name:	2015-04-11 16.21.07.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24387778

Comment

Wow nice trip thanks for sharing

Comment

Thanks for sharing sounds like an awesome trip. Haven't got to take my new to me kayak out fishing yet. Working on rigging it and some house projects. Did get my rack built. Couldn't get past the price tag on specialty racks. Couple boat fenders and a pool noodle and I'm set. Plan to add shelves above.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435232471.892239.jpg
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	24387857

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435232489.658482.jpg
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	24387858

Comment

Here are a few pictures of my Nucanoe, Old Town kayak, and 16 ft Dolphin canoe. On my trailer I built, and on the water. Love em!
          Attached Files

Comment

i bought a kayak last year, enjoyed it but not something for someone with heart problems, i had to sell it and thats when the buyer told me about t.b.h miss fishing but the kayak was just to much for me

Comment

ttt

I am definitely going to get myself a kayak. What is the best/most reasonable place to go in the DFW area? Does anyone know of a used sit on top for sale?

Comment

The wife works tomorrow so I think I'm going to go fishing, any one els heading out? I would like to fish the San Marcus but don't know the ropes Text me if any one wants to hit it up tomorrow or some other cold river 956 245 2300

Comment

Hogboy getting it done today in the tandem.

Name:	26 red Gary tbh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	24388803

Comment

Still working on my rigging waiting to be able to go fish. My anchor line management idea. Piece of a cutting board with 100 foot of para cord. Let out length you need and wrap around the zig zag cleat. Hole in the board lets me clip on a line or yak gear bungee to attach at the boat. Carabiner on the line attaches to anchor chain so I can change anchors as needed. Ball bungee keeps it neat in the crate. Cheap and simple.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436273763.852917.jpg
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	24389207

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436273788.272770.jpg
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	24389208

Comment

From my overnight trip last week.

Comment

Any one else not being able to hit their honey hole due the fact they are letting so much water out of the spillways?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                          Any one else not being able to hit their honey hole due the fact they are letting so much water out of the spillways?
                          Right here brother...in the Brazos

Comment

"Man" where at on the Brazos r u fishing? All the places are muddy as all get out close to temple. What you fish n for??

Comment

Following,

I just got me a Cobra about a month ago and love it! the DIY possibilities are endless!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                                Me too. Can't wait to be able to get back into the Elm Fork.

Comment

Working...
                                X