No announcement yet.

Lonesome Dove: Favorite Line or Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've offered this before and will do so again. I developed a unit for my English classes over twenty years ago and have taught it every year. I have tons of info but the thing people enjoy the most is the list of 186 quotes I have assembled from the movie. If you want the list PM me your email and I will forward them to you. It will be Monday before I get back to my school computer so be patient but I will get them to you.

Comment

"Jake is leaky vessel."

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
        I'd like to see the herd you and Jake would bring....herd of horrors maybe (call). You betcha! (Gus)

That's a good one too!

Love it.

Comment

Comment

Some saloon in San Antonio.......Call and McCrae walk up to the bar.

MCCRAE: I'd like a shot of whiskey, and so would my companion. If it ain't too much trouble. The bartender looks at them, annoyed. McCrae turns to a table of men playing cards. Howdy boys, you got a good game going there? Murmurs of "... who the hell is that?" come from the table. Nobody answers McCrae.

MCCRAE (to bartender): You got mud in your ears, or what?

BARTENDER: Rye, or what'll it be, old timer?

MCCRAE: Rye will do, provided it gets here quick.

BARTENDER (visibly irritated): Durn cowboys oughta broom yourselves off before you walk in here. We got all the sand we need without the customers bringing it in. He pours a shot for McCrae. That'll be a dollar.

McCrae lays a silver dollar on the bar. As the bartender reaches for it, McCrae grabs him by the hair and slams his head onto the bar. He then pulls out his pistol and presses it against the man's nose. Call grins and turns away.

MCCRAE: Now, besides the whiskey, I think we'll require a little respect. I'm Captain Augustus McCrae, and this here is Captain Woodrow F. Call. Now, if you care to turn around, you can see how we looked when we was younger. When the people around here wanted to make a settlement.

McCrae puts the gun against the bartender's cheek and turns his head around. He's now facing behind the bar, looking directly at an old framed photograph of McCrae, Call, and Jake Spoon as Texas Rangers years ago.

MCCRAE: Now, the thing we didn't put up with back then, was dawdling service. And as you can see, we still don't put up with it.

McCrae tosses his empty shot glass in the air, and shoots it with his pistol.

MCCRAE: Now then. If I could have a fresh glass, please.

BARTENDER (still holding his profusely bleeding nose): You just broke my nose!! You old son of a....

McCrae clocks him with his gun on the side of the head. He slinks to the floor unconscious. McCrae pours himself and Call a shot from the bottle on the bar. They raise their glasses to toast.

MCCRAE: Well, here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Comment

Whacking a surly bartender aint much of a crime...

Comment

"GRASSHOPPER! My boys don't take to much to eating bugs!"

Comment

bar scene with the bartender was my favorite

First scene I thought of.
                  Listened to the book on "tapes" back before the movie while driving.
                  Robert Duvall is the best cowboy actor ever
                  Last edited by Big pig; 01-03-2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

"You haven opossum for supper are you?" "Yea but you ain't less you go and catch your own!"

Comment

"Put that rag away, hell the people who come in here wouldn't notice a dead skunk on the table much less a few crumbs."

Comment

For me , this is the best movie EVER made ! No one else could have played the parts of Call and McCrae other than Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall . There will never be another as good . EVERY TIME it comes on tv I have to stop what I am doing and watch it . And of coarse there is the DVD for all the other times I have to watch it .It is even marked my favorite on Net Flicks .Too many good lines to pick a favorite .Absolutely the best ! Then comes Quigley!

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
                          Whacking a surly bartender aint much of a crime...

Comment

"Your in over your head Pete"

Comment

" You know Deets, he ain't one to quit on a garment just cause it's got a little age"

Comment

Helluva vision!

Comment

Working...
                                X