Lonesome Dove: Favorite Line or Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
    WOW! Thanks for sharing, that's a great story. Post up some of the pics.
    Don't have pics in electronic format... I need to dig 'em out and scan 'em in.

Bunch of movies done there. Plus the made for TV movies 13 Days to Glory and Houston, the early days... depicting the times just before the Alamo and just after... All the inside scenes in all these movies (as well as the original Alamo) were shot at the ranch headquarters... Santa Ana's headquarters before he laid siege to the Alamo was actually Mr. Moody's living room at the main ranch house... I've sat on the same couch and at the same tables... They had to do very little to the residence to make it "authentic"... It is already the real deal. I can't believe it's been 29 years since all that happened... time flies...

Comment

its timeless

Comment

"You do more work than you have to, so its my obligation to do less"

"if youre gonna think something, why dont you think that roof back on the barn there"

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yes, it was really built right on the Rio Grande. They just didn't really cross the river to go get the cattle...
          Was the rio grande shallow enough on that site to ride a horse across?? Good stuff amigo.

Comment

Don't have pics in electronic format... I need to dig 'em out and scan 'em in.

Bunch of movies done there. Plus the made for TV movies 13 Days to Glory and Houston, the early days... depicting the times just before the Alamo and just after... All the inside scenes in all these movies (as well as the original Alamo) were shot at the ranch headquarters... Santa Ana's headquarters before he laid siege to the Alamo was actually Mr. Moody's living room at the main ranch house... I've sat on the same couch and at the same tables... They had to do very little to the residence to make it "authentic"... It is already the real deal. I can't believe it's been 29 years since all that happened... time flies...
            Slick not sure where you are located but I'd love to have you come talk to my class about those experiences one day. I tried to contact the owners of the ranch-Kincaids/Moody's I believe-about taking a field trip there but in the process learned that almost all of the set has now fallen down. I do take my students to the exhibit at Tx State every year though.

Comment

“Where’d you get Miss Wood?” she asked.

“She’s been in Lonesome Dove a while,” he said.

“Doing what?”

“Doing what she could, but don’t you hold it against her,” he said.

Comment

Woodrow Call: You ever get tired o' loafin' I reckon you can get a job waitin' on tables.

Gus McCrae: Oh, I had a job waitin' tables once. S' on a riverboat. I wasn't no older than Newt, there, but I hadda give it up.

Newt: How come?

Gus McCrae: Well I was, too young and pretty and the "girls" wouldn't let me alone.

Comment

"Well I know we aint in Galveston"....

"Galveston, boys this heres Mexico, worst yet the land your on belongs to Pedro Flores, he finds ya heal hang ya for sure, you best saddles your horses and come with us".....

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                    "Well I know we aint in Galveston"....

"Galveston, boys this heres Mexico, worst yet the land your on belongs to Pedro Flores, he finds ya heal hang ya for sure, you best saddles your horses and come with us".....
                    Drinks the last of the whiskey, throws the bottle over his shoulder and says "we're packed"!

Comment

When I watch the movie, I get a bit of a different perspective than most... You see, it was made on our deer lease... we had to move some stands, etc. That moccasin scene is in a low water crossing of Sycamore Creek about 200 yards behind where our camp was. When Gus and Lori were in the creek taking a bath and Blue Duck came riding down that split in the rock face, Those white stains on that rock in the creek are from bars of soap we kept there for bathing. During the time they were shooting, our camp got broken into by some "Illegals" and they stole my jeep. Just as they crashed the front gate with it, some of the movie crew was coming back from town and saw 'em. They called the law and I was able to get my jeep back. After they were done, we used to go there for photo ops. I have tons of pics of my kids in the old set of the house and the hotel, etc.

What was most striking is how "REAL" they made the movie look with that set. the Hotel was in reality nothing but a front with a stair case just inside the door that went nowhere. and the upstairs was just wide enough to stand on and look out the window. there was no back on any of it. The hotel burned down, but Mr. Moody made 'em build it back after they were done with the shooting. the old burned up piano was still sitting beside the rebuilt facade. The house was nothing but a facade with a front door and just in side the front room was just wide enough to stand back so you could walk out the door. And that bridge across the creek... In the movie it looked like it took for ever to walk across it... It was maybe 20-25 feet long in reality. It was a real bridge, but it sure wasn't much of a bridge.

And were Call buried Gus under all those big old pecan trees is one of the best turkey roosts in South Texas. I killed my first turkey with a bow within a hunert yards of the grave scene... The year after they finished the movie, we moved our camp up closer toward town so we could have electricity brought in.. sometimes I still miss that creek and that Sycamore Creek bottom...

Not much left of the movie set... the mesicans have stolen anything useful and took it back across the river... Yes, it was really built right on the Rio Grande. They just didn't really cross the river to go get the cattle... If you ever watch the remake of the Gunsmoke movie where Michael Learned played Miss Kitty because Amanda Blake died before they were able to make the movie, look at the movie town and house closely... same place/same set as Lonesome Dove...
                      I concur with others that it is indeed the greatest Western ever made.
                      That is pretty amazing. I loved that movie. I remember watching it on TV when I was just a teenager. I really go into it as well. I need to go back and watch it. I haven't watched it in a very long time!

Comment

If you ride with the outlaws you die with the outlaws.

Probably already been said but my family has said this since it came our on TV.

Great quote to live by and truthful.

Comment

Too many good quotes to list All four books are multi readers/watchers. Two quotes that make me laugh- "On a whiskey boat", and "Roscoe, who's chunkin them rocks"?

Comment

"Whore's got hearts too Woodrow"

"Was he trying to marry ya?"

Great movie! My wife and kids get a kick out of me being able to recite word for word most every old western by John Wayne, Clint, Lonesome Dove, and many more.

Comment

This will only take a minute or two

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                                The last few evenings I've introduced my three kids (12, 10 & 7) to the wonder and excitement that is Lonesome Dove. Man, I love this movie. One of the best IMO.

What's your favorite line or scene?

"A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough" - Capt. Augustus McCrae.
                                ^^^^^hands down

Comment

Working...
                                X