How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    Used poling skiffs are usually very well taken care of, so I really don't see a reason to buy new unless you just can't find what you wanted on the used market. What area are you usually fishing where you don't get enough good days? If you don't mind me asking.

I fish Baffin, anything with an east wind completely milks up that bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
      I currently own a Mitzi and it’s not a bad starter skiff for the money. Options are endless just like any other Boat. I bought used since I didn’t know how long I would own this one. My set up is a 17’ tournament with a Yamaha 70 hp 4 stroke. Runs lower mid 30’s max.

Maverick, hells bay, east cape and chittum are all good choices with different models to look at. They get very pricey though never thought I’d see a 17’ skiff that was 70k....they exist. Look at Sabine skiffs as well. Local guys that make aluminum skiffs, pretty sweet.

Current set up...came with a trolling motor when I bought and Ive added a power pole since the pic was taken.

I really really like the look of this. Power pole and off to the races

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
        I really really like the look of this. Power pole and off to the races

This is what I love about these skiffs...

Comment

My bow hunting season is going so terrible... I'm already starting to figure out how to salvage some fun with the fly rod in '18. I need a cheep adventure... my trips to the coast this year to fish the surf were terrible too.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            Well got me a permit. Isn’t the big one I want but after the week full of issues we’ve had, it’s a dang trophy. Caught It on a beach flat we decided to check out on our way out of town. Turned out to be a bunch of happy tailing fish there. Got shots at some big fish, but this one ate. Bottom of the ninth, And a permit is a permit I suppose. I’m stoked.

Sorry for the photo. The camera defaulted to some sort of weird filter that has that reddish tint. The scenery was much more appealing!

BOOM!!!! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              My bow hunting season is going so terrible... I'm already starting to figure out how to salvage some fun with the fly rod in '18. I need a cheep adventure... my trips to the coast this year to fish the surf were terrible too.

My skiff floats two. If I have a spot to the bay I’ll hit you up!

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
                My skiff floats two. If I have a spot to the bay I’ll hit you up!
                Wow! That is an awesome gesture. Thanks.

Comment

jaker_cc

Go check out microskiff.com. If you ignore the drama, there's some pretty good info and reviews on there.

They have a pretty good Classifieds section and some beautiful skiffs go through there.

There's a 2007 Gordon Waterman located in POC listed on there now that's been tempting me.

Comment

New Water Stilt! I've had mine for 3 years.
                    Great boat. Tim Clancy the builder is a genius.
                    He's coming out with a smaller version of the Stilt with a tiller and less storage.
                    Check out Newwater Boatworks
                    Attached Files

Comment

That’s an awesome new water!

Comment

man I'd love to get a skiff but I think a gheenoe will come sooner.

y'all have some nice rides!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          man I'd love to get a skiff but I think a gheenoe will come sooner.

y'all have some nice rides!
                          If you don't mind some elbow grease you can get a skiff as cheap as a gheenoe.

I have a 17.5' aluminum skiff with a 70 that I am just a touch over 1k deep in. Went from bare hull to fishing machine. All DIY and patient shopping.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

That thing is awesome! Did you have to do any aluminum welding? That’s the only thing I’d have to outsource.

Dang, now I’m gonna have to do some shopping

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              That thing is awesome! Did you have to do any aluminum welding? That’s the only thing I’d have to outsource.

Dang, now I’m gonna have to do some shopping
                              Nope. Riveted boat. Mod v up front, takes the chop well, touches 40mph, will float in about 4" of water, run wide open in about 6-10" need about a ft to get on on plane. Have a Jack plate on it. Removed old interior, everything down to bare hull. Built from hull up. Paint, wiring, motor, all of it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X