No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished the 2 weight Rainshadow "Revelation" stick. It's 6'6", two piece and made for Uncle Saggy's Ross Colorado ZERO brook\stream reel.

I had the honor of making its first cast. First with the Ross and the other, with my Galvan Brookie. I have no idea what line or weight Saggy has on his Ross reel? With his reel I can average about 55 ft. Using my Brookie, 4 weight line, I can average 60 - 65ft.

The blank is pretty short so I didn't spend much time this evening dialing it in before the sun set.

Overall blank weight is maybe a couple of ounces in finished weight. The Brookie only weighs 3 ounces so it felt super feather light overall. Amazingly light to be honest. I really think Uncle Saggy's going to like this stick.

Comment

My personal Revelation 4 weight blank was delivered today. Starting it's build tonight.

Comment

Finished the 2 weight Rainshadow "Revelation" stick. It's 6'6", two piece and made for Uncle Saggy's Ross Colorado ZERO brook\stream reel.

I had the honor of making its first cast. First with the Ross and the other, with my Galvan Brookie. I have no idea what line or weight Saggy has on his Ross reel? With his reel I can average about 55 ft. Using my Brookie, 4 weight line, I can average 60 - 65ft.

The blank is pretty short so I didn't spend much time this evening dialing it in before the sun set.

Overall blank weight is maybe a couple of ounces in finished weight. The Brookie only weighs 3 ounces so it felt super feather light overall. Amazingly light to be honest. I really think Uncle Saggy's going to like this stick.

That a sweet rod!!!! Kinda neat too as I was listening to bob Marley as I was reading this.

Comment

Froghunter UB FlyFishaMon Bro!!

Thanks!

RastaMon on da Fly! Building number three now. I'll share the build here.

Comment

Good!

Comment

Finished my 2nd fly rod for the week. "RastaMon on the Fly Tres" is done.

Will find a lot of Guadalupe River time with this stick. Upper sections on the forks, convergence areas and down into Canyon Lake and the sections below Canyon Lake in the stocker zone. Some from the bank, wade and kayak.

Built on a Rainshadow "Revelation" 4 weight, 8'6" 4 piece blank, matched with a Galvan Brookie 4 weight 3 ounce reel.

Made my first casts this evening, winds up and crossing......rolls out there sweetly around 65 ft without effort and or double hauling. Didn't push it......just enjoyed the tempo and impressed with it's accuracy and handling. Cross wind had me aiming 3 ft right of my intended target...can't wait till I can put more time in and fish it.

On the wrapper

Top Line grip

Snake SIC stripper. Rasta touch, toward the fly reel. This is my design mark for these Rasta fly sticks. My 3rd build....each, one of a kind with no other build like it anywhere.

Tip to match the strip

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Will be building a Blue Halo or Epic rod next week or so. From what i've read they are two totally different rods, just need to figure out which i want. Both are glass.

Comment

I found this bamboo rod in my dad's stuff. Would anyone be interested in it? I'm not a collector and would rather turn it into something useful.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                      I found this bamboo rod in my dad's stuff. Would anyone be interested in it? I'm not a collector and would rather turn it into something useful.
                      PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                        Will be building a Blue Halo or Epic rod next week or so. From what i've read they are two totally different rods, just need to figure out which i want. Both are glass.

Nice. I'm about to pick up an Epic ready to wrap kit. Just trying to decide which rod I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a 7 wt Blue Halo Gen II blank ordered. Fuji Titanium SIC stripper with REC Recoil running guides and a Recoil fly tip. Shopping a custom fly seat and quality Portuguese cork now.

Miss my old fiberglass fly rods from the 70s and the love of slow casting is missed. Using a modern lightweight fly blank, with lightweight components, will bring back some of the past casting feel with a lot of fun, leaning on weight saving technologies of today, to maximize casting performance.

Leaning on a nice butt balanced glass stick for green trout in the Guadalupe and chicken head specks in the Laguna.

Worthy for days like this....on the Laguna - Yesterday was UNREAL!

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            Have a 7 wt Blue Halo Gen II blank ordered. Fuji Titanium SIC stripper with REC Recoil running guides and a Recoil fly tip. Shopping a custom fly seat and quality Portuguese cork now.

Miss my old fiberglass fly rods from the 70s and the love of slow casting is missed. Using a modern lightweight fly blank, with lightweight components, will bring back some of the past casting feel with a lot of fun, leaning on weight saving technologies of today, to maximize casting performance.

Leaning on a nice butt balanced glass stick for green trout in the Guadalupe and chicken head specks in the Laguna.

Worthy for days like this....on the Laguna - Yesterday was UNREAL!

Agreed about the old relaxed casting style. You don't see it a lot now days and people, even people in the industry, think rod speed translates to line speed which translates to good casting. it just isn't true. People would be surprised what they can do if they just slow down, even with today's rods.

I ordered a little glass treat from South Carolina for myself last night. The builder said I should have it by christmas. I cannot wait to battle some redfish on it!

Comment

Those are some sweet rods ATW. Keep posting up your builds please. I am particularly interested in that 2 weight 6'6" rod. I can only imagine how awesome it would feel on a brushy high mountain stream with some 6" brookies.

Every time I open this thread it makes me want to load up the kayak and toss the fly rod in the back seat and head to the fishing hole.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The new Blue Halo 7wt arrived. Waiting on a REC seat and butt and some Snake Brand guides to start my new build.

Being glass at 7wt, matching a new Galvan Rush Lite 5/6 with 6wt line. The key to fiberglass, you don't want to over power the blank.

Blank feels great with a nice parabolic bend through the middle of the blank, flexing it on it's own weight.

I'll post more as this build goes down. Red, White & Blue will be it's theme.

The Galvan for this particular blank. Should be here Friday.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X