How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    Very frustrated today. I’ve had a fly rod for 3 or 4 years, but just hadn’t spent money on a reel and line. Decided to spent some of the extra time on my hands learning to fly fish. So I spent 30-45mins each night this week watching several video series from Mad River Outfitters/Midwest Fly fishing school. Went and picked up a reel at Cabelas and had them tie on backing, fly line and leader. Made it home and realized the guy had put the line on backwards.... so I had the idea unstring it and try to reel it back on the right way....

This is what I ended up with in the backing...

[ATTACH]1000286[/ATTACH]

It never ceases to amaze me how my INTENTIONAL knots like to come untied, but my UNintentional knots, Houdini couldn’t undo!
    I’d be going right back up there asking for new backing and fly line at no charge. That’s ridiculous! Sorry your dealing with that.

Comment

Very frustrated today. I’ve had a fly rod for 3 or 4 years, but just hadn’t spent money on a reel and line. Decided to spent some of the extra time on my hands learning to fly fish. So I spent 30-45mins each night this week watching several video series from Mad River Outfitters/Midwest Fly fishing school. Went and picked up a reel at Cabelas and had them tie on backing, fly line and leader. Made it home and realized the guy had put the line on backwards.... so I had the idea unstring it and try to reel it back on the right way....

This is what I ended up with in the backing...

It never ceases to amaze me how my INTENTIONAL knots like to come untied, but my UNintentional knots, Houdini couldn’t undo!
      DON"T do that! Fly fishing will ruin you. Somebody years ago took something as simple as a pole, a line, a hook, and bobber and made it all complicated and stuff. The expenses never end, and it is frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
        I’d be going right back up there asking for new backing and fly line at no charge. That’s ridiculous! Sorry your dealing with that.
        I originally said screw it, I was just going to go to one of the local fly shops and buy new stuff and get after it. But the more I thought about the more irritated it made me. I am going to back up there and speak with a manager, but not sure when I can get there, it’s a 30 mi one way drive.

Just wish I had taken a pic before I stripped it all off so I had proof, but all they can say is no

Comment

I originally said screw it, I was just going to go to one of the local fly shops and buy new stuff and get after it. But the more I thought about the more irritated it made me. I am going to back up there and speak with a manager, but not sure when I can get there, it’s a 30 mi one way drive.

Just wish I had taken a pic before I stripped it all off so I had proof, but all they can say is no
          I doubt they will give you any trouble. Just show them what their “outfitter” did and it was wrong. That line and backing isn’t cheap and would definitely be worth the trip back.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
            From a ditch in Pearland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Nice!

Comment

A few small ones...I've been "fly fishing" ponds and lakes for 40+ years mostly with mismatched, hand me down gear. I've got some newer equipment but I really like fishing, and catching fish, on the old stuff.

Caught these recently on a popping-bug using a Shakespeare WonderGlass rod and a Pflueger Auto real that belonged to my Grandpa. I started out on this rig in the mid 1970's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	24615928

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	24615929

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	24615930
              Last edited by mikebyrge; 04-19-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                A few small ones...I've been "fly fishing" ponds and lakes for 40+ years mostly with mismatched, hand me down gear. I've got some newer equipment but I really like fishing, and catching fish, on the old stuff.

Caught these recently on a popping-bug using a Shakespeare WonderGlass rod and a Pflueger Auto real that belonged to my Grandpa. I started out on this rig in the mid 1970's.
                Wish I had grandpa gear to use.

Comment

Anyone looking for a 10weight? I have a like new Scott Tidal 9’ 10# That was very lightly used on one trip to Belize that I would part with

Comment

Originally posted by Matador View Post
                    Anyone looking for a 10weight? I have a like new Scott Tidal 9’ 10# That was very lightly used on one trip to Belize that I would part with

How much? Any trades?

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                      How much? Any trades?

Pm sent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I just have recently found an interest in fly fishing. I've spent a ton of time on the water both fresh and salt but never had an interest in fly fishing. If anyone has a good beginner setup for sale let me know. I'll be bass fishing in the pond, and may throw it in the boat for if we get in the specs real good one day. Also any how too pointer type YouTube videos would be appreciated. I am going to have to educate myself about all the backing and knots and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                          I just have recently found an interest in fly fishing. I've spent a ton of time on the water both fresh and salt but never had an interest in fly fishing. If anyone has a good beginner setup for sale let me know. I'll be bass fishing in the pond, and may throw it in the boat for if we get in the specs real good one day. Also any how too pointer type YouTube videos would be appreciated. I am going to have to educate myself about all the backing and knots and all that.

It's loads of fun, I'll say that. The best thing you can do to start is find a casting instructor. One or two hours with a good teacher will have you way ahead of the curve.

Comment

Had a heck of a day in Colorado, I landed a few but I was net man and photographer most of the day. Sure is more fun watching her land fish

Comment

^^^^ Legit!!!! San Juan? Gunnison???

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                                Had a heck of a day in Colorado, I landed a few but I was net man and photographer most of the day. Sure is more fun watching her land fish

Nice!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X