No announcement yet.

Will he make AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, I guess consensus is he legal. Now got to decide to pass him for next year or not . The only problem is it free land that i dont know if a get to hunt from 1 year to the next . Decisions decisions mm

Comment

14.5"

Comment

I remember a picture of the antler restrictions that had vertical dotted lines along the widest points, then a measurement horizontally between those lines. That is how I thought it was measured. The horizontal distance between the two widest points.

But it seems the majority of the forum disagrees with me.

Comment

He is legal, I wouldn't shoot though because that is just an injury to the velvet. He will be nice again next year most likely. If you like him though, shoot away! Very cool buck!

Comment

I don't know. Just doesn't look like the same deer to me.
            If it is, and you won't know if you can hunt this place next year, and you get him in daylite hours while you are in the stand, you will know then whether you take him out or not!!

Comment

If the widest point between the main beams is greater than 13" he's legal. It does not matter how you measure them. If he's wider than 13" between the mains at any point you can't get a ticket...period.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                the measurement is from the widest inside point of the main beams (doesn't matter what angle the beams are coming off of the deers head).

Not only do I think he will make it, but I think he will be at LEAST 2"-3" over the legal 13" limit
                agreed.

Comment

You are not supposed to measure the inside spread at an angle like some have recommended. Measure the inside spread of the main antler beams at the widest place. This measurement should be at a right angle to the longitudinal axis of the skull, and parallel to its horizontal axis.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                    You are not supposed to measure the inside spread at an angle like some have recommended. Measure the inside spread of the main antler beams at the widest place. This measurement should be at a right angle to the longitudinal axis of the skull, and parallel to its horizontal axis.
                    Not in the buck pictured it's not. You're correct in that you measure at it's widest spread but that's not always at a right angle to the longitudinal axis of the skull, and parallel to it's horizontal axis. If I measure at a right angle and horizontal and it's 10" but I tilt my tape and find a place that's 14" between the mains which measurement would be used for legal purposes? The Widest would.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      Not in the buck pictured it's not. You're correct in that you measure at it's widest spread but that's not always at a right angle to the longitudinal axis of the skull, and parallel to it's horizontal axis. If I measure at a right angle and horizontal and it's 10" but I tilt my tape and find a place that's 14" between the mains which measurement would be used for legal purposes? The Widest would.
                      Maybe so, but I didn't think there were any exceptions to what I posted. I believe the method I posted is the official way to measure for P&Y and B&C, which I would assume to be a guideline to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                        Maybe so, but I didn't think there were any exceptions to what I posted. I believe the method I posted is the official way to measure for P&Y and B&C, which I would assume to be a guideline to go by.
                        The law says widest point.

Comment

Working...
                        X