Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
    It is my understanding that the tar sands oil is extremely heavy and is basically bitumen suitable for asphalt, etc. It is so thick it can only be transported by pipeline after being diluted with lighter hydrocarbons which are processed back out at the refinery.
    That's my understanding as well that the sands have to be "thinned out" quite a bit to get them to go downstream. I would imagine pigging that line could get real interesting after being in service a while. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read where that pipeline is going to need to be heat traced the entire length to keep the product from "setting up"?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Yes it is a heavy, and many of our refineries are set up for medium or heavy crude. I don't know why though.
      i think we have heavy crude refineries on the gulf coast (despite oil production in Texas and Louisiana being light crude) because the crude from Venezuela is heavy crude and a lot has historically been sent here for processing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
        That's my understanding as well that the sands have to be "thinned out" quite a bit to get them to go downstream. I would imagine pigging that line could get real interesting after being in service a while. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read where that pipeline is going to need to be heat traced the entire length to keep the product from "setting up"?
        The whole tar sand process is a terribly ugly environmental issue. That is why I always felt like making the Keystone Pipeline such a political hot button was a problem...it is just a bad poster child for conservatives to support. The process rapes the landscape, uses huge amounts of water, and basically turns virgin forests into the pits of Mordor.

Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

The problem with the environmental argument is that the pipeline itself is not the problem. Ask yourself what are they doing with the oil today? It is being shipped by rail. Who stands the most to lose if the pipeline is completed? If you said "the railroad", go to the head of the class. And who owns those railroads you may ask? If you said Warren Buffet, you would be right. And who does he "donate" his money to? If you said "Democrats and President Obama", then you win a cupie doll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
            The problem with the environmental argument is that the pipeline itself is not the problem. Ask yourself what are they doing with the oil today? It is being shipped by rail. Who stands the most to lose if the pipeline is completed? If you said "the railroad", go to the head of the class. And who owns those railroads you may ask? If you said Warren Buffet, you would be right. And who does he "donate" his money to? If you said "Democrats and President Obama", then you win a cupie doll.
            Warren Buffet owns Canadian National railways?

Comment

i think we have heavy crude refineries on the gulf coast (despite oil production in Texas and Louisiana being light crude) because the crude from Venezuela is heavy crude and a lot has historically been sent here for processing.
              pretty much nailed it.

Im on the engineering side of revamping existing refineries to be able to refine this stuff.

weve been very busy for several years now.

flint hills in CC is doing a major revamp right now to refine this mess...

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Lol.. They think a 60-65k truck, debt out the WAZOO, and no savings/retirement is the only way to live!

Just living the dream....until they find a woman at 35 and they have no retirement or money to speak of
                Who exactly is "they"? Young guys? Guys with little education? All oilfield hands?

You have contributed absolutely nothing here so I don't understand why you're even posting. I've got news for you, just from knowing what a couple of the guys do and make that you argue with and knowing they're smart guys your lumping way to many guys together. Do people waste and get up to their neck in debt? You bet in every occupation soquite acting like us oil guys are the only ones out there. Im happy your life is so great and you don't have any worries with money but that doesn't give you any right to talk down to someone in a bad situation.

By the way sometimes that 65-70k truck is paid in less than a year

None of the 300-400k/yr guys with all their affais in order are here trashing you for not being in their position. Even though several have commented on this thread.
                Last edited by bphillips; 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                  Warren Buffet owns Canadian National railways?
                  Burlington Northern Santa Fe

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Wow, I sure hope you're joking but I know you're not. You want me to find an article that states it will have a big impact on Texas?

And besides, for the 10 millionth time, most oil guys here say oil's tank will not cause a Texas depression but it will be felt MORE than people think.
                    Nope I aint joking! Plenty have said it....including yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      Down right amazing isnt it?! just like some of us have been saying the whole time only to be told we were idiots and wrong
                      Some of you may be right if this is short term but if this is more of an 80s bust it will affect a whole lot more than you think. If it's a couple years housing and banks could be hurting bad in lots of areas not to mention retirement accounts.

Comment

How much is it currently costing per barrel out of the Bakken shale via train?

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                          Probably all a moot point at $50 oil as the oil sands aren't feasible at that point. We just might end up with an empty pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Yes it is a heavy, and many of our refineries are set up for medium or heavy crude. I don't know why though.
                            When most of them were built heavy crude was dirt cheap. They could buy it at a lower rate and the refine it into sweet crude. Some of these units can make back a 60 day turnaround (unit overhaul) in just 2-3 days operating.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              Some of you may be right if this is short term but if this is more of an 80s bust it will affect a whole lot more than you think. If it's a couple years housing and banks could be hurting bad in lots of areas not to mention retirement accounts.
                              We will see I guess....like I have said before its not worth the debate. Its been beat to death time and time again. Im not going to change your mind and your not going to change mine. our economy is alot more diversified than it was in the 80s. As much as some hate to admit it oil isnt the only thing that brings money and stability to the Texas economy.

Comment

Probably all a moot point at $50 oil as the oil sands aren't feasible at that point. We just might end up with an empty pipeline.
                                Agreed. And that is the whole point of what OPEC is up to.

Someone who knows for certain could jump in here but, I think the pipeline is also intended to move the oil from North Dakota.

And for the record. I am certainly not "for" the shale mining going on in Canada but, that is not really up to us to decide. The citizens of Canada will have to make that call.

Comment

Working...
                                X