No announcement yet.

2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My place is currently under a flood watch until tomorrow evening. Hoping this gets the water table and all the lakes, ponds, and tanks filled.

Comment

Still pretty dry at McLean. Our pond is just about gone. It's greened up in the last two weeks some. I did have some pics of a couple of shooters and a finally some fawns.

Comment

Our ranch has been under a flash flood watch for the past few days! Only bad thing is the farmer said the tank **** now has a pretty big hole through it and lost most of the water. Must have been a good storm! Tons of young bucks and the best fawn crop I have seen in a few years up there both mulies and wt.

Comment

Saw a video of the dry creek that occasionally holds water that is behind my feeder today. It's running Fast. probably 7 foot wide.

Like I said it holds water 1-2 months out of the year but usually is dry. Right now you could ride a canoe down it.

Crazy amounts of rain. I'm loving it. Can't hunt now anyways it might as well pour!

Comment

I hunted a place in Childress a few years ago and it was dry, extremely dry. Wheat fields didn't take and what did got eaten so fast by the cattle that it was pretty much non-existent for the deer. The following year those guys took 5 deer over 150" all in the wheat or on the edges. It made me sick. Lots of rainfall the past few years and gonna be some real studs killed this winter no doubt. Wish I would have staked my claim and sat on it for a while.

HG

Comment

Anyone going to hint this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
                Anyone going to hint this weekend?
                Not making the drive up this weekend but will be heading north next week! Tons of young bucks on cam but only a few mature deer.

Comment

I'm in! Probably too early and the place looks like a jungle compared to prior years, but the opportunity is there and patience has never been one of my strengths. Not to mention that a muley buck made a lasting impression last year a weekend after the season closed. Hoping he's still in the neighborhood.

Comment

I'll miss Saturday. Going to watch my daughter play volleyball. I'll be out hunting Sunday for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
                      I hunted a place in Childress a few years ago and it was dry, extremely dry. Wheat fields didn't take and what did got eaten so fast by the cattle that it was pretty much non-existent for the deer. The following year those guys took 5 deer over 150" all in the wheat or on the edges. It made me sick. Lots of rainfall the past few years and gonna be some real studs killed this winter no doubt. Wish I would have staked my claim and sat on it for a while.

HG
                      That's about the time of the bad drought we were in. In Cottle Co I'd say we lost at least half of our herd. The numbers are way up now, but not what they were, but close. I've seen it happen before, and they always make a comeback. I was going to hunt there this weekend, but have things I have to do Saturday and can't make it. I will be at my Grayson Co lease Sunday though. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Comment

Somebody get bloody today!

Comment

Nothing but dove blood spilled from this hunter. Saw 3 WT does, 4 muley does and 1 small muley buck. Nice weekend but if you hunt for horns, you didn't miss much. I'm thinking I'll wait 4 weeks and for a frost before I head back up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
                            Somebody get bloody today!
                            Duzy I saw you up early yesterday morning. Did you go out?

Comment

Nothing seen at our place except for a few turkeys and nothing but 2 muley does seen at a friends poace between Turkey and Matador. To green, to much food for them and too much water everywhere. no need for them to come to the feeders. Our pics are showing a few does, small bucks and a ton of hogs!

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
                                Duzy I saw you up early yesterday morning. Did you go out?
                                No I was in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                                X