What's with aggie pride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    So, ESPN, etc should close the doors.... It's a waste of their time!

You're one of the biggest talking heads on here when it comes to college football. If you wanna keep it up, be my guest. I was just agreeing with the other fellows statement...which you disagreed with, hence my quoting your comments. But, yes, there is a difference in college sports and professional sports...in my opinion, of course!

Back on topic

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
      The answer to the question had nothing to do with football. We were proud before we were relevant in football.

To think otherwise is just as naive as it looks.
      "For backing up their fighting team
      Whether they won, lost or tied.”

All in All, Aggies have not been a dominant football school throughout History. We've had our years, but on average it hasn't been a big thing. But that doesn't put us down. Sure we relish in having bragging rights against our rivals, but it doesn't define us. Given the Aggie jokes, etc, being a true Aggie usually meant you were the butt of a joke.

I think our recent success in things that don't matter, has made some folks jump on the bandwagon at the dismay of those who's "fans" have jumped off thiers.

Comment

This comes from a class of '79 Aggie that has a little different A&M experience than some of the new Ags. I hate it that you newer guys can't go thru the Bonfire experience that we did. There is nothing like wrestling logs with other Ags at two in the morning to build a bond. I know that they have them now, but my first yell practice in the fall of 1976 the senior yell leader talked about how A&M doesn't need frats or sororities because we are already a member of the largest fraternity in the world- we are all Aggies. My wife is amazed that whenever I meet an Aggie, the first way we introduce ourselves is by class. A more personal experience that just happened recently. I have stayed very close to a group of Ags since I graduated in 1979 and we are scattered across several states. One was moving back to Texas from North Carolina and around Atlanta the axle on his truck broke. He texted on member of our Aggie family that he was having problems and didn't know how he was going to handle the cost of repair and having to stay in a motel for several days while his truck was being fixed. She mobilized the rest of us and we all sent money to help out- and I haven't seen him in several years. My first thought was he is part of our Aggie family and needs help. 'Nuff said. Aggies stick together. Aggies take care of each other. How many on here that went to a different university can still remember the words to their school song? I bet every Aggie on here can still sing "The Spirit of Aggieland". We love our school and everything it stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
          So, ESPN, etc should close the doors.... It's a waste of their time!
          I'll second that, too

Comment

Oh, and here is an Aggie joke....You see a woman wearing an A&M T-shirt and you know she has a child going to A&M. You see a woman wearing a Longhorn T-shirt and you know she has been to WalMart....

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              You're one of the biggest talking heads on here when it comes to college football. If you wanna keep it up, be my guest. I was just agreeing with the other fellows statement...which you disagreed with, hence my quoting your comments. But, yes, there is a difference in college sports and professional sports...in my opinion, of course!

Back on topic
              It was a chance to take a shot at others and off topic to begin with!

Thanks for playing.

"Back on Topic"

Comment

It appears that the original point of this thread was to understand Aggie Pride. It quickly turned to the football team. If you think the Aggie Pride is about football, there is no need in any Aggie trying to explain it! I challenge you to google Aggie Muster, read it, everything about it, let it soak in! If you ever have an opportunity ATTEND! Might give you some insight on Aggie Pride.

Here's a start:

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 1991!

Comment

This might be one of the most comical threads I've read.

I love the aggie faithful, you can always pick em out of a crowd of 10,000 random people.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    Aggie Spirit:
                    From the outside looking in, you can't understand it.
                    From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

Sums it up

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                      Sorry, but I don't agree. At least not 'round here. I know a LOT of folks who wear maroon in order to show their support for their friends and family who attended the school, or for what the school stands for (conservative litmus test for Texans) or just to "fit in", even though they never went there. Most of them never went to college, period.
                      Go to any major city in TX and poll the folks wearing longhorn gear vs. the folks wearing A&M gear. Most especially the ones that were wearing it pre-JFF.

Comment

Actually, around here, most of the folks wearing longhorn gear actually went there, because they are surrounded by Aggie supporters (whether actual students or not) and know they're going to catch flack about it.

Look, I'm just telling you what I see. I went to SFA. We're like Switzerland - we don't CARE about UT vs. A&M. Not in the least.

John

Comment

I haven't seen an A&M grad be any better ready for the workforce than any other top public college grad.

Most jobs now days you just need the piece of paper.

Some people are into the living the college life and that scene the rest of their life and some aren't. Big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JMalin View Post
                            Aggs take it to another level. 12th man, corp of cadets, yell leaders (male cheerleaders lol), the BTHO of whoever their opponent is that week, the whole "whoop" thing, the loathing of "TU", saw'em off bumper stickers, etc.
                            No doubt. They have definitely taken it to "another" level.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0FN3gv_LMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0FN3gv_LMY[/ame]

Comment

For the record, I got my bachelor's from a division two ag school, following in the footsteps of a friend who's family had a lake house on PK. It was even funnier there running into folks that were beaming with school pride. They'd take anyone that could pay tuition/secure a student loan.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                                Aggie Spirit:
                                From the outside looking in, you can't understand it.
                                From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

X2

Comment

Working...
                                X