No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love it Johnny! I thought i paid a fortune for it. Its seeming like a better deal all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Everybody knows there isn't any deer in East Texas......LoL.
      Have y'all put a tape on that bruiser yet? Miss Jooger had a great season!
      He wont score much. His tine length is short. That g2 is maybe 9 inches but everything else is short. He does have good mass and long beams though. Probably high 30s. He is old. I watched him for a long time and he got around like an old man.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        He wont score much. His tine length is short. That g2 is maybe 9 inches but everything else is short. He does have good mass and long beams though. Probably high 30s. He is old. I watched him for a long time and he got around like an old man.

High 130's low fence deer is a great deer all day in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          High 130's low fence deer is a great deer all day in my books.
          That is certainly true. Thats why I took her over there to shoot that old bruiser. Im really glad she will have some closure on the deal too. It looks like he may not have gone 75yds. Its just nuts where he ended up.

Comment

Awesome story and a excellent gesture by you....welcome back by the way.

Comment

Still love this thread. This is a little off topic but might add to this discussion. Do you think the flooding this year will "relocate" the deer to new areas where they will develop new patterns and call those new places home temporarily or will they likely return to their old stomping grounds when the waters go down?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
                Still love this thread. This is a little off topic but might add to this discussion. Do you think the flooding this year will "relocate" the deer to new areas where they will develop new patterns and call those new places home temporarily or will they likely return to their old stomping grounds when the waters go down?
                Well i certainly have a case study going on that question. Two of my best spots stayed under water for over a month and much of the browse died. Some of my best deer may have even drown. They pushed up onto a long, skinny hump for two weeks. then teh next flood came and it went under also. they had at least 3 miles to swim cross current to reach dry ground.

One was a deer that is four this year. He went from a 115 9pt at 2years old to a 150s ten at three. He was showing signs of being much better this year and was on that little island. i sure hope he made it.

My worry is that many of those mature deer will stay in neighboring property because of the browse issue. I think they will see deeer they didnt know existed this year.

Comment

Well i certainly have a case study going on that question. Two of my best spots stayed under water for over a month and much of the browse died. Some of my best deer may have even drown. They pushed up onto a long, skinny hump for two weeks. then teh next flood came and it went under also. they had at least 3 miles to swim cross current to reach dry ground.

One was a deer that is four this year. He went from a 115 9pt at 2years old to a 150s ten at three. He was showing signs of being much better this year and was on that little island. i sure hope he made it.

My worry is that many of those mature deer will stay in neighboring property because of the browse issue. I think they will see deeer they didnt know existed this year.

Pretty Boy hopefully can be coached back in! I'd hate to see him gone to someone that has zero history with him.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    Pretty Boy hopefully can be coached back in! I'd hate to see him gone to someone that has zero history with him.
                    Agreed. I saw one Im pretty sure was him and he is a lot wider this year, along with a bunch of his buddies. Gonna be hard to remember that h is no more than 4 this year for sure.

Comment

I just came back from a ride thru over a thousand acres that went completely under 6+ feet water for nearly 6 weeks. Some of the areas didn't have dry land for over a mile. Much of the country is still muddy from the flooding and I saw deer tracks everywhere I looked. The water hasn't been off the property for more than a week.

This country has not flooded like this in many years so most of these deer never have dealt with it. I'm willing to wager that we lost no deer except maybe some bad luck fawns and that all the deer will be back in their home shortly.

Another interesting thing is that green growth is popping up everywhere. Green briar, virginia creeper , bahai , and weeds of all sorts, so I think there will be abundant food supply within days. And from what I've seen of the bucks that got pushed up to high ground they are doing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        I just came back from a ride thru over a thousand acres that went completely under 6+ feet water for nearly 6 weeks. Some of the areas didn't have dry land for over a mile. Much of the country is still muddy from the flooding and I saw deer tracks everywhere I looked. The water hasn't been off the property for more than a week.

This country has not flooded like this in many years so most of these deer never have dealt with it. I'm willing to wager that we lost no deer except maybe some bad luck fawns and that all the deer will be back in their home shortly.

Another interesting thing is that green growth is popping up everywhere. Green briar, virginia creeper , bahai , and weeds of all sorts, so I think there will be abundant food supply within days. And from what I've seen of the bucks that got pushed up to high ground they are doing just fine.
                        I followed where you posted that on your thread. Like you, we had a high spot for them to go but it became an island. As the river rose, it got smaller and smaller untill it eventually disappeared. I have a sick feeling about whether those deer made it out. There was only one direction they could have swm that gave them a chance and that would have been at least 3 miles of swift cross current. If they had gone down stream, there would be little hope for them.

Comment

In for later

Comment

I hope the best for you. Let us know what you see when you can get back to the property. If the deer survived there is no doubt in my mind they will return. I've also seen deer swimming the Ms. river in north La. where the river is over a mile wide. Plenty of current. So they are capable but I appreciate your concern.

Keep us posted.

Comment

How do you know what deer were where during the stages of flooding? Current Trail cams or previous years history?

Comment

In my experience there isn't much "new" to old deer. When the water comes up they'll get on ridges and pile up if need be or go to another comfy zone. If old deer move in you can usually go back through pics from years back and find them during their younger years when they covered a lot of ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X