No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im passing through so i figured i would drop a story.

Late season, I started corning the santuary where dad killed his monster. Immediately, the camera was full of buck pics. There was a young deer that i think is 3 but man he looks 2. We saw him last year but he has just blown up! hes a 9pt in the 40s for sure! Gonna be the man in a few years! We had several good deer but one is an old 8pt that we passed the same day dad killed the giant. He looked like his horns had gone down hill a little this year but what a stud of a mature deer with 12 inch g2s. I was guessing him high 40s and about 17 inside.
    Well we finally got the wind right and we sneaked in there with no lights about an hour before day break. I freshened the vanilla corn while he got set up 25yds away. Daybreak came and the young buck worked in. He looked South and i saw a deer about 50yds through the brush. With binos, i could make out that he was a monster picking up acorns but dad couldnt lean far enough to see him. The buck eventually fed away without giving us a good look.

The small buck spooked and i saw a mature buck coming. Darn nice 7 year old 9pt walked right in and took over at the corn pile. Now i told dad he might want to shoot that deer but he decided against it. 5 minutes later I looked South and saw another wide 8pt coming. He stopped and thrashed a tree 30yds out while the other deer ate. Suddenly, they both looked back and i saw another deer. It was him! he was bristled up head to toe! The wide 8pt came to the corn while the long G2 deer started thrashing huge trees. I have never seen a deer put as much into hooking and pushing trees in my life! he was just a little too far left for dad to shoot. This went on for 15 minutes.

He started staring at the big 8 in the corn and went into that side to side stiff legged walk that says, " Get out of my way!". I eased the shooting stick up and dad got the gun ready. The 280 boomed and that old hoss rolled up right there. The wide 8pt ran toward us and stopped at 5 yds looking back at the dead deer! He watched for a while and then walked over to him and wanted to fight. Snort wheeze after snort wheeze! He gave up on the fight and started thrashing a big tree for a few minutes when i saw another deer coming. ANOTHER stud of a 8pt. he walked right in and did the same routine of snorting, pawing the ground and hooking trees before finally chasing the wide 8 away.

I told dad we better get out of the stand and get is deer before another stud rolled in. It was a heck of a hunt. We saw 5 different 7 plus year old bucks in a matter of an hour in east tx plus a future all star.

Dads deer didnt score as well as I though due to having 4.5 inch ears! Never seen ears that short on a mature buck. He ended up mid 130s and i couldnt have been more happy. Only the Good Lord knows how many more of these hunts we will have. i cherish every one!

I took Jooger and his sweet wife back that evening and we had one heck of a hunt! We just couldnt quite close the deal. Cant wait for next year.

Later guys, Steve

Comment

I love these stories, Steve. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I've missed these stories. Congrats to your dad.

Comment

Another excellent write up, glad your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
            I love these stories, Steve. Thanks for posting.
            X2!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

Late season, I started corning the santuary where dad killed his monster. Immediately, the camera was full of buck pics. There was a young deer that i think is 3 but man he looks 2. We saw him last year but he has just blown up! hes a 9pt in the 40s for sure! Gonna be the man in a few years! We had several good deer but one is an old 8pt that we passed the same day dad killed the giant. He looked like his horns had gone down hill a little this year but what a stud of a mature deer with 12 inch g2s. I was guessing him high 40s and about 17 inside.
              Well we finally got the wind right and we sneaked in there with no lights about an hour before day break. I freshened the vanilla corn while he got set up 25yds away. Daybreak came and the young buck worked in. He looked South and i saw a deer about 50yds through the brush. With binos, i could make out that he was a monster picking up acorns but dad couldnt lean far enough to see him. The buck eventually fed away without giving us a good look.

The small buck spooked and i saw a mature buck coming. Darn nice 7 year old 9pt walked right in and took over at the corn pile. Now i told dad he might want to shoot that deer but he decided against it. 5 minutes later I looked South and saw another wide 8pt coming. He stopped and thrashed a tree 30yds out while the other deer ate. Suddenly, they both looked back and i saw another deer. It was him! he was bristled up head to toe! The wide 8pt came to the corn while the long G2 deer started thrashing huge trees. I have never seen a deer put as much into hooking and pushing trees in my life! he was just a little too far left for dad to shoot. This went on for 15 minutes.

He started staring at the big 8 in the corn and went into that side to side stiff legged walk that says, " Get out of my way!". I eased the shooting stick up and dad got the gun ready. The 280 boomed and that old hoss rolled up right there. The wide 8pt ran toward us and stopped at 5 yds looking back at the dead deer! He watched for a while and then walked over to him and wanted to fight. Snort wheeze after snort wheeze! He gave up on the fight and started thrashing a big tree for a few minutes when i saw another deer coming. ANOTHER stud of a 8pt. he walked right in and did the same routine of snorting, pawing the ground and hooking trees before finally chasing the wide 8 away.

I told dad we better get out of the stand and get is deer before another stud rolled in. It was a heck of a hunt. We saw 5 different 7 plus year old bucks in a matter of an hour in east tx plus a future all star.

Dads deer didnt score as well as I though due to having 4.5 inch ears! Never seen ears that short on a mature buck. He ended up mid 130s and i couldnt have been more happy. Only the Good Lord knows how many more of these hunts we will have. i cherish every one!

I took Jooger and his sweet wife back that evening and we had one heck of a hunt! We just couldnt quite close the deal. Cant wait for next year.

Later guys, Steve
              Another epic story!

Comment

Later guys, Steve
                I have missed these stories and looked forward to your return. Have any pictures of your dad's deer you'd care to share?

Comment

Thanks for posting!!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    I have missed these stories and looked forward to your return. Have any pictures of your dad's deer you'd care to share?

Here a some Jooger17 posted

Comment

What they said, thanks .

Comment

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting GG

Comment

I remember that one

Comment

I remember this bruiser! Great story to go along with memories that will last a lifetime.

Comment

Great read this kind of stuff gets me fired up for this fall.
                              Last edited by bowhunter01; 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

A picture for the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X