Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The corn will not get go bad if anything some could possibly start to sprout.. my uncle hunts 2000 acres in Kansas and at the very beginning of the season they buy corn by The Bushel and have a truck come dump thousands of pounds on the ground. They literally hunt that corn pile all year long and never refresh it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
      Well guys this is one thing I have not tried! Maybe this is the answer and I certainly willing to try it.

Jooger you nailed it with the example you just stated! This is exactly what I'm dealing with. On top of this problem we have also been introducing chosen genetics and three 200 point bucks have gone missing (I believe killed by the natives).

So do you think 3 or 400 lbs of corn piled on the ground won't go bad and the deer will still eat it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Big piles are the best way. Especially as dry as it i now.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
        The corn will not get go bad if anything some could possibly start to sprout.. my uncle hunts 2000 acres in Kansas and at the very beginning of the season they buy corn by The Bushel and have a truck come dump thousands of pounds on the ground. They literally hunt that corn pile all year long and never refresh it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow! I never would have imagined that being possible.

Well at least now I have the hopes of a new strategy, now I'm probably not going to sleep tonight for thinking about it.

Comment

Well guys this is one thing I have not tried! Maybe this is the answer and I certainly willing to try it.

Jooger you nailed it with the example you just stated! This is exactly what I'm dealing with. On top of this problem we have also been introducing chosen genetics and three 200 point bucks have gone missing (I believe killed by the natives).

So do you think 3 or 400 lbs of corn piled on the ground won't go bad and the deer will still eat it?

I don't know what your deer density is but I know for sure it won't go bad in a week unless it gets a bunch of rain on it. Even then it most likely won't go bad. As far as the bucks coming up missing... unless you have sign if that I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there just not showing up on camera. When these deer figure out they're being hunted and they're being confined they do some tricky stuff! Sometimes they're hiding in plain sight, sometimes they're almost impossible to kill because of where they are.

Do you have a designated sanctuary on the place? Somewhere that human entry is absolutely off limits? If not, I would establish one immediately. The part about that that sucks? The sanctuary is most likely going to be your best area from history. There's a lot that could be done to the property to make it more hunter friendly. Controlled burns are the first and cheapest to come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post

There's way worse things than going in TOTALLY blind. None of these deer were a product of recent trail cam history.

You know, seeing these and reading what was said, I might just actually consider that this guy knows what he's talking about. Not sure what all the arguing was about.

Comment

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

I don't know what your deer density is but I know for sure it won't go bad in a week unless it gets a bunch of rain on it. Even then it most likely won't go bad. As far as the bucks coming up missing... unless you have sign if that I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there just not showing up on camera. When these deer figure out they're being hunted and they're being confined they do some tricky stuff! Sometimes they're hiding in plain sight, sometimes they're almost impossible to kill because of where they are.

Do you have a designated sanctuary on the place? Somewhere that human entry is absolutely off limits? If not, I would establish one immediately. The part about that that sucks? The sanctuary is most likely going to be your best area from history. There's a lot that could be done to the property to make it more hunter friendly. Controlled burns are the first and cheapest to come to mind.

I've got nearly 30 deer on the property.

Well I've been told by other people that they'd bet the bucks were still there but I actually found one in the lake that looked like it had been punctured in the side and the other two I just haven't seen in two years, not even at the protein feeder (which is what they were raised on).

I have two areas the we just don't touch and I'm pretty sure that's where they are always hiding all the time. They can because it's super dense with lots of vegetation and acorns in the winter.

I did have a bunch of trails cut this summer by an underbrusher and I love the difference it made but you are right. With the exception of the lake and the food plot they can literally be 50 yards away from you and you will have no idea.

I don't know much about the controlled burns but mostly what needs to go is yaupon. There are huge areas you can not walk through because it's so thick. I don't know if a burn would get rid of this or not and where do the deer go during the burn?

Comment

Originally posted by Yarbro55 View Post
                You know, seeing these and reading what was said, I might just actually consider that this guy knows what he's talking about. Not sure what all the arguing was about.

There's not arguing there's discussion. Read some more and you might have a better understanding.

Comment

still one of the best threads on this site

Comment

There's not arguing there's discussion. Read some more and you might have a better understanding.

You're right. I'm new to reading comprehension.

Comment

I've got nearly 30 deer on the property.

Well I've been told by other people that they'd bet the bucks were still there but I actually found one in the lake that looked like it had been punctured in the side and the other two I just haven't seen in two years, not even at the protein feeder (which is what they were raised on).

I have two areas the we just don't touch and I'm pretty sure that's where they are always hiding all the time. They can because it's super dense with lots of vegetation and acorns in the winter.

I did have a bunch of trails cut this summer by an underbrusher and I love the difference it made but you are right. With the exception of the lake and the food plot they can literally be 50 yards away from you and you will have no idea.

I don't know much about the controlled burns but mostly what needs to go is yaupon. There are huge areas you can not walk through because it's so thick. I don't know if a burn would get rid of this or not and where do the deer go during the burn?

The burns will help with the youpons but what I would suggest is a burn and then come in with a mulching machine. I wasn't able to burn this year, but I did mulch it it made a huge difference. As far as where the deer go, you do multiple burns.

Build a break and do small burns one section at a time. Say maybe 10 of them 25ac at a time. Right after season ends is a great time to burn it. A lot of the brush is dead already and it'll burn easily. There's a lot of reputable companies that do controlled burns and we would be glad to do the mulching.

Back to the sanctuaries. Hunting on the edge of them is going to be your guest percentage shot at killing one of them. There will be a spot that makes them vulnerable. Find that travel path during the off season. Set it up early in the summer and then start Corning there with the big piles. People are usually pretty conscious about bedding areas. Sometimes when hunting spots on the edge of it (especially in the morning and mid day), you're hunting a deer that's coming back to the bed rather than leaving the bed for forage. Be sure and keep that in mind when setting your stand up. If you know where he lives and where he feeds naturally it's just a waiting game after that unless you blow him out.

Comment

The burns will help with the youpons but what I would suggest is a burn and then come in with a mulching machine. I wasn't able to burn this year, but I did mulch it it made a huge difference. As far as where the deer go, you do multiple burns.

Build a break and do small burns one section at a time. Say maybe 10 of them 25ac at a time. Right after season ends is a great time to burn it. A lot of the brush is dead already and it'll burn easily. There's a lot of reputable companies that do controlled burns and we would be glad to do the mulching.

Back to the sanctuaries. Hunting on the edge of them is going to be your guest percentage shot at killing one of them. There will be a spot that makes them vulnerable. Find that travel path during the off season. Set it up early in the summer and then start Corning there with the big piles. People are usually pretty conscious about bedding areas. Sometimes when hunting spots on the edge of it (especially in the morning and mid day), you're hunting a deer that's coming back to the bed rather than leaving the bed for forage. Be sure and keep that in mind when setting your stand up. If you know where he lives and where he feeds naturally it's just a waiting game after that unless you blow him out.

I guess this is probably the next thing I'm going to have to consider then. Any idea what the cost is of doing this?

One of the most difficult things I've had to do out here is positively identify all the bedding areas. I think I know some of them and I think the general area of others but I am never certain I know exactly where the live but I have identified general areas they usually come from. I really do need help with this.

Comment

I guess this is probably the next thing I'm going to have to consider then. Any idea what the cost is of doing this?

One of the most difficult things I've had to do out here is positively identify all the bedding areas. I think I know some of them and I think the general area of others but I am never certain I know exactly where the live but I have identified general areas they usually come from. I really do need help with this.

PM inbound

Comment

Like gg pointed out a few posts back too is you can't make the deer go where you want them to be, you have to slip in on the fringe of where they are and finess them into the hand corn piles. Look at Google and bing maps too and see if there are any acorn flats between drains that you can slip into quietly.

Comment

I take corn with me to the stand and sling it out every hunt... usually a big crown royal sack full bc it's quiet.... then Sunday after our last hunt I'll come dump 50 lbs out on ground and spread it thin. They eat it up in a few days but will keep coming back to check if u do it weekly...

Comment

Great stories GarGuy. I just recently got into public hunting and have enjoyed the challenge of it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X