Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
    1st one was national forest so no feeder or corn of any kind. 2nd was killed at a feeder. 4th was no corn at all, just hunting trails, the rest were in or around hand corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're comparing apples and oranges then. I'm hunting the same property year after year, mostly the same deer that just keep maturing. You're talking different locations, different terrain, over I don't know what period of time, in some cases randomly coming across a deer on a trail that you haven't been surveying by camera or feeding corn or protein.

That's a completely different scenario from what I'm trying to figure out. It would be nice and convenient if we could all apply the exact same tactics at any location with all deer but that's not the way it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
      We're comparing apples and oranges then. I'm hunting the same property year after year, mostly the same deer that just keep maturing. You're talking different locations, different terrain, over I don't know what period of time, in some cases randomly coming across a deer on a trail that you haven't been surveying by camera or feeding corn or protein.

That's a completely different scenario from what I'm trying to figure out. It would be nice and convenient if we could all apply the exact same tactics at any location with all deer but that's not the way it is.

I don't understand how we're not comparing the same things. Just because I'm going to a different place to do it doesn't mean the formula changes.

I'm just trying to throw you a bone brother.

Comment

I appreciate you throwing me a bone but the scenarios are different and I just explained a little lit of why it's different. I don't want to make a thesis out of this I just want to know if going out at night to check cameras and put out hand corn would be better than doing it the day before. You didn't answer that and I can assure you if I try to hunt this property and these deer the way you're suggesting the deer will be deep in the woods eating acorns all night long and I'll never see them.

Comment

I appreciate you throwing me a bone but the scenarios are different and I just explained a little lit of why it's different. I don't want to make a thesis out of this I just want to know if going out at night to check cameras and put out hand corn would be better than doing it the day before. You didn't answer that and I can assure you if I try to hunt this property and these deer the way you're suggesting the deer will be deep in the woods eating acorns all night long and I'll never see them.

I did answer exactly the same as BBosswell. I can guarantee you when GG turns the computer on he's going to answer you very similar to the way I have. We hunt almost exactly the same way, in some of the same places, and at times the same deer.

The time of day that you put your corn out means absolutely nothing. Carry a bag in when you hunt it in the morning. Pour it out then or set it at the base of the tree until after the hunt. Means zero. Driving around the entire property checking your cameras alerts every deer on the place of your presence. You already know this or you wouldn't be asking about it. Not hunting on Friday does nothing except cost you a hunt. I assure you that you didn't trick them into thinking you left.

Pressured deer on pressured properties is my MO. I've been doing it for a long time same as GG, that's why he and I are good friends. We think a lot alike.

Comment

How big is this property you hunt and how many feeders do you have set up on it? If you have too many locations set up and you are trying to chase them around you will not have much success. I have a feeling you are hunting the wind in some areas but blowing everything else out on the property when you hunt it. The deer have you patterned because you been hunting the same areas for too long. Shut off all but one feeder near the primary bedding area and dump 50 pounds of hand corn on the ground 100 yards from that feeder and only hunt when the wind is right.

I have a feeder on my place only for when I can't put hand corn out. When I put hand corn out the deer will walk around the feeder to go to the hand corn 100% of the time and they will always check the hand corn location to see if there is any before they revert to eating at a feeder.

Comment

Okay now you've hit the sweat spot. It's 250 acres, high fence east tx. It's got at about 6 fairly high hills surrounded by extremely thick brush. Mostly hardwoods and mostly oaks. There a up to 20 foot deep creeks running all over it and a 4 acre lake. These deer can literally hide unseen 50 yrds from you almost anywhere you go on the property with the exception of a 10 acre food plot (which the mature deer never come into).

I have one protein feeder set up in the middle of the property (which the mature deer never come into), One corn feeder on the south side and two corn feeders on the north side (approx NE and NW), one corn feeder on the west side of the lake where the lake will block them from coming from behind me in a north wind.

We almost never hunt the feeders but rather throw out corn a fair distance away and hunt that. I do put people in the tower blind in the food plot who can't climb tree's ect.

My problem is when to throw out the hand corn. If I throw it out the day of a hunt the deer won't find it for a couple days and then we are gone. So I need to figure this out. I know GG has said that he usually goes out 3 or 4 days ahead of hunting but I don't have that luxury. So I've been trying to put it out as far ahead as I can but that's usually only a day ahead. The reason I'm asking the question is because I also believe I'm alerting the deer to me being there and they stop moving out of their bedding areas for two of three days. That's why I was hoping it might be less noticeable if I went out at night.

What do you think?

Last edited by Cajun shooter; 11-10-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry i got behind on this thread. Brent Jooger and Cpt doing a good job though. There is no clear answer to the question. I have spots where deer are really adjusted to traffic. I can corn those spots anytime with little effect. other spots its totally critical.

One thing though is if you put out a big pile and they get used to checking there, they will keep checking it even if there hasnt been corn in a week.

Good discussion.

Comment

Cajun Shooter, I know this is not exactly in line with your question but have you tried still hunting the place? I know you said it has thick brush but still hunting can be accomplished if it is giving you 30-50 yards of sight. Having 250 acres that are high fenced means you dont have to worry about blowing the deer out of your place and onto your neighbors. I like to set up on a good lane prior to dawn and just sit and watch the first 30 minutes of daylight. If nothing is happening, I point my nose into the wind and start moving very slow and deliberately through the woods. I have caught up to quite a few mature bucks away from feeders this way. Trying to figure the critters out is the biggest part of the fun to me and doing that away from corn makes it even more so.

Comment

Dangit guys don't you realize you're not giving me the quick easy solution! Seriously though I've got a lot of deer out here and some really nice ones and we are just not killing them. In three years we've killing 4 deer, two small bucks and two old does. We are being fairly selective but there's plenty to choose from.

I even set up "ghost feeder" hanging 20ft up trees deep in the woods and still no mature deer showing up there. They will show up on camera where I've dumped hand corn a way from feeders but not when I've been out there recently and not if I dump it out the day of a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Cajun Shooter, I know this is not exactly in line with your question but have you tried still hunting the place? I know you said it has thick brush but still hunting can be accomplished if it is giving you 30-50 yards of sight. Having 250 acres that are high fenced means you dont have to worry about blowing the deer out of your place and onto your neighbors. I like to set up on a good lane prior to dawn and just sit and watch the first 30 minutes of daylight. If nothing is happening, I point my nose into the wind and start moving very slow and deliberately through the woods. I have caught up to quite a few mature bucks away from feeders this way. Trying to figure the critters out is the biggest part of the fun to me and doing that away from corn makes it even more so.

Yeah we have tried this RTP. When we've tried this the deer totally quit showing up on cameras for days. I've got ten cameras set up on this properly and they go into hiding. First trying to move through this property quietly....... well I just don't see how it can be done. It's mostly oaks and the ground is covered with leaves and one step sounds like you just crushed a whole bag of chips. The other thing that seems to be a problem to me is, it seems like you have to go past bedding areas no matter where you go on the property. I swear I feel like I'm almost always moving right past them no matter where I go.

Comment

Seems to me the mature bucks are coming to the hand corn, but the problem is you cannot put it out in time for a hunt correct? If I were you id take 4 or 5 bags (200lbs +)and pour out a huge pile of corn, no way can they clean that up before you get back to hunt the following week.. problem solved. Thr Deer will know where that hand corn is and all you have to do is show up and hunt with corn already on the ground-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

The HF part does change the game. I hunted a place in Trinity Co a few years back to help a buddy with their quota. They'd high fenced around 2,000ac and we're going to introduce genetics the following year. The biologist had them killing 24 bucks and 27 does that year in order to allow the number of registered buck's and does they'd planned on putting on the property.

This was the first year the native deer had been fenced. The first month it was essentially hunting as usual. After that seeing a deer at all was super challenging. When you put a native deer in a position where they can't run away the only things they can get really really good at is detecting danger and hiding. The bulk of your deer will be exactly like GG has described in most of the NF stories on this thread. Outside of the rut they'll be extremely challenging to hunt. The thickest nastiest stuff on the property is where most of your deer will spend most of their time.

Little lanes in this stuff will be your best bet. Getting to them undetected will be the trickiest part.

GG is absolutely right about getting them conditioned to a pile. They'll continue to check it even when the corn is gone. Sunday night after your last hunt, I'd go out and make mega piles, 300-400lbs in each spot. There will still be corn there when you return on Friday evening to hunt. Check the wind and go get them. Another option might be the Covert cams that text pics to your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                            Seems to me the mature bucks are coming to the hand corn, but the problem is you cannot put it out in time for a hunt correct? If I were you id take 4 or 5 bags (200lbs +)and pour out a huge pile of corn, no way can they clean that up before you get back to hunt the following week.. problem solved. Thr Deer will know where that hand corn is and all you have to do is show up and hunt with corn already on the ground-

This right here. Before you leave on Sunday Corn Heavy and then when you come back on Friday to hunt just walk to the stands. 250 acres isn't that big and no reason to drive a truck or ATV all over unless you kill something.

Comment

Dang east tx deer are fickle. I have a spot right now where i have been corning 30ft into one of my sanctuaries under a big oak that is dropping acorns inside and out in the open. Its in sight of a feeder where corn is piling up. I was getting 300-500 pics per day of bucks in the pile. I moved the corn out to the edge and literally left the camera on the same tree last week by just pointing it out instead of in. Three buck pics in three days. One deer walked out there and looked. Just inside the thicket though is totally comfortable to them and get pics any hour of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                                The HF part does change the game. I hunted a place in Trinity Co a few years back to help a buddy with their quota. They'd high fenced around 2,000ac and we're going to introduce genetics the following year. The biologist had them killing 24 bucks and 27 does that year in order to allow the number of registered buck's and does they'd planned on putting on the property.

This was the first year the native deer had been fenced. The first month it was essentially hunting as usual. After that seeing a deer at all was super challenging. When you put a native deer in a position where they can't run away the only things they can get really really good at is detecting danger and hiding. The bulk of your deer will be exactly like GG has described in most of the NF stories on this thread. Outside of the rut they'll be extremely challenging to hunt. The thickest nastiest stuff on the property is where most of your deer will spend most of their time.

Little lanes in this stuff will be your best bet. Getting to them undetected will be the trickiest part.

GG is absolutely right about getting them conditioned to a pile. They'll continue to check it even when the corn is gone. Sunday night after your last hunt, I'd go out and make mega piles, 300-400lbs in each spot. There will still be corn there when you return on Friday evening to hunt. Check the wind and go get them. Another option might be the Covert cams that text pics to your phone.

Well guys this is one thing I have not tried! Maybe this is the answer and I certainly willing to try it.

Jooger you nailed it with the example you just stated! This is exactly what I'm dealing with. On top of this problem we have also been introducing chosen genetics and three 200 point bucks have gone missing (I believe killed by the natives).

So do you think 3 or 400 lbs of corn piled on the ground won't go bad and the deer will still eat it?

Last edited by Cajun shooter; 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X