No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Johnny; 10-31-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Hey Gar Guy, What are your thoughts about using a Thermacell?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxAstrosFan View Post
        Hey Gar Guy, What are your thoughts about using a Thermacell?

For it 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I have a question that I don't think has been talked about or asked. I usually get up to my lease on Friday noon/afternoon. I go out, check all the cameras, check the feeders and throw out hand corn. I've recently decided not to hunt that afternoon when I've done that, so I start hunting Saturday morning. I will typically see deer at all these spots pretty regularly on camera until I go out to hunt.

Do you think I'd be better off going out late on Thursday night (that's when I can get there)? I know going out Friday morning won't be good because that's when the deer are moving. My objective is to try to get out there when I will disturb the deer the least. Not sure if at night is good timing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Garguy What is the mixture/ratio for the vanilla that you spray on the corn. Any particular type of vanilla?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                I have a question that I don't think has been talked about or asked. I usually get up to my lease on Friday noon/afternoon. I go out, check all the cameras, check the feeders and throw out hand corn. I've recently decided not to hunt that afternoon when I've done that, so I start hunting Saturday morning. I will typically see deer at all these spots pretty regularly on camera until I go out to hunt.

Do you think I'd be better off going out late on Thursday night (that's when I can get there)? I know going out Friday morning won't be good because that's when the deer are moving. My objective is to try to get out there when I will disturb the deer the least. Not sure if at night is good timing?

Bump up

Comment

Deer in different areas tolerate disturbance better than others.

One of my places I can go in the afternoon before and do whatever and not change anything that will happen the next morning. Vehicle traffic bothers these deer none.

The other place the deer are ultra sensitive to any intrusion including a vehicle. When we go there we usually arrive around 10pm and I would run around on the Ranger and grab camera cards that night and then we wouldn't see squat all weekend. Now we do not do not drive anywhere near stands at until the last day of the hunt to top off feeders. After the hunt Sat morning we will each slip down and change cards and slip out. This has made a huge difference.

Comment

Crap that's what I thought I had been experiencing. The problem is not really knowing where to choose to hunt until the end of the weekend and then that might not apply to the next week.

Comment

Crap that's what I thought I had been experiencing. The problem is not really knowing where to choose to hunt until the end of the weekend and then that might not apply to the next week.

I do exactly what Brent is talking about. Choosing the stand is easier when you don't review the cards first. You hunt whichever one the wind dictates.

Comment

Yeah but I have it set up so that I have several choices for each wind direction. Some times the deer I'm looking for are hanging out on one side of the property and some times on the other. This is totally shooting in the dark. I guess it's better than running all the deer off though?

Comment

There's way worse things than going in TOTALLY blind. None of these deer were a product of recent trail cam history.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            There's way worse things than going in TOTALLY blind. None of these deer were a product of recent trail cam history.

So I guess these deer are being drawn in to a feeder? I'm assuming you didn't throw out hand corn before hunting either?

Comment

Biggest deer we have taken on our place had never been caught on camera. However, each one was killed where deer and big bucks hang or cross for 30 years. That's the luxury of hunting the same piece of dirt my entire life.

I'll also add the first deer I ever took with a bow was shot in a trail my dad mowed earlier in the day while I built the stand

Comment

So I guess these deer are being drawn in to a feeder? I'm assuming you didn't throw out hand corn before hunting either?

1st one was national forest so no feeder or corn of any kind. 2nd was killed at a feeder. 4th was no corn at all, just hunting trails, the rest were in or around hand corn.

Comment

Working...
                                X