• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked in

Comment

Good stuff in this thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Another stud bit the dust in the vanilla corn. Ill post a story later.

Can't.... take it........much....longer......

Comment

We are waiting patiently Steve! NOW come on with the pictures and quit wasting time Lol

Comment

See the link that Cisco Jack posted in post 677

Comment

Ok here goes. This deer showed up on camera in one of my thickets in Oct. There was a much larger buck coming as well. that ended up busted and then killed by a well deserving neighbor. I agreed to let my friend Mark bowhunt the monster and advised him to shoot this deer if he came first. Shortly there after, the 11pt broke both of his big bladed brows. I really think he passed this deer once before waiting on the other deer though because i had pics of this 11pt right under him while he was in the stand. Granted it was late but legal shooting hours.

Anyway, after the other deer was dead a giant 8pt moved in as well so once again, this deer was not his first choice. He kept saying he might wait if this deer came in and i told him he was nuts to do so. We have hunted him hard several times and he got unpredictable during the rut. Just like always though, when the rut was over and the pressure took its toll, my santuary just plain filled up with shooters. Im talking 6 hosses using the same corn pile last week along with several other nice deer. Its my favorite time of year! Remember the monsters we killed the past three years from Dec 8th through Christmas!

I called him and told him what was up. We resituated a loc on stand not far from the tent blind so we could hunt on opposing winds. It worked! Mark got in Thursday evening and was just plain covered with deer. Buck after buck! He passed a 21 inch 8pt with super heavy bases that came in with another 8pt and then the eleven came in. He said he didnt have a good shot and he fed a while and left. I suspicion he was waiting on that monster 8pt again... Soon the 11 came back and he sot him slightly quartering from 25ft up at 18yds. He didnt see the arrow hit and the deer dashed away.

After texting me we checked the arrow. Paunch contents! We pulled out immediately and i called Brent Boswell. They met us there at dawn Friday morning with their fantastic trail dog. Text book! we walked in, I pointed at the corn pile, the dog took off and went straight to a very dead, double lunged deer. The shot was perfect. Weird it even touched paunch. saddly, the coyotes had really demolished the deer before we got there. I checked the card and saw a dozen different deer in the corn after the shot including the monster 8pt! Amazing that dog worked it out so smooth.

The buck scored 138 without any brow measurements. His brows were a solid 6 inches long and the taxi will make them look just like he grew them. With thm intact, he will be just over 150. Congrats mark and special thanks to Bboswell and Kathy!

Pressured, late season , mature bucks...Gotta love em.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GarGuy; 12-12-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Great write up Steve. Your recaps always involve considerable patience and persistence to get it done.

Now, should we expect your upcoming hunt recap for the monster 8 to be in the 1st or 3rd person? I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

Comment

before and after
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                    Great write up Steve. Your recaps always involve considerable patience and persistence to get it done.

Now, should we expect your upcoming hunt recap for the monster 8 to be in the 1st or 3rd person? I'm sure it is just a matter of time.
                    I will probably put another friend on him. I have guided 13 dead deer so far this year.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Super buck and great write up

Comment

What a beautiful buck! Great story an congrats to Mark

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            I will probably put another friend on him. I have guided 13 dead deer so far this year.
                            Hey buddy ,I'm free!
                            Has the river flooded you out yet? gonna be a wicked rise after this rain!

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                              Hey buddy ,I'm free!

Has the river flooded you out yet? gonna be a wicked rise after this rain!

River was already out before this rain

Comment

Working...
                              X