X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good read

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
      its hard to find a neighbor that will pass on ole colt. however, if he is in our truck, we know he wont make it.

its that attitude that keeps your place covered up with big uns, as you know. okay, no more goofin' around! show us fiddy!
      LOL! Fiddy went mia for a few days but showed up at 140 in the aftewrnoon sunday. Maybe he is home. I let a nephew shoot a 7yr old nine. Narrow heavy stud. Kicker3 is still coming regular and dad has had multiple close calls with him, I have another target deer besides Fiddy as Airhead may have been killed. Ill write stories at some point.

The positive out of Colt getting killed is that my neighbor and i have developed a new working relationship that i feel will be productive for both of us in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        LOL! Fiddy went mia for a few days but showed up at 140 in the aftewrnoon sunday. Maybe he is home. I let a nephew shoot a 7yr old nine. Narrow heavy stud. Kicker3 is still coming regular and dad has had multiple close calls with him, I have another target deer besides Fiddy as Airhead may have been killed. Ill write stories at some point.

The positive out of Colt getting killed is that my neighbor and i have developed a new working relationship that i feel will be productive for both of us in the future.
        That is ALWAYS a good thing.

Comment

I just read the whole thing in two days(works been slow). I have a couple spots in mind im gonna try to hand corn.

Thanks GarGuy for taking time to answer my pm's.

Comment

Tell us about this conversation and "agreement or understanding" y'all have. And is he as committed as you to letting deer get old? Will y'all share pics and plans on deer?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              Tell us about this conversation and "agreement or understanding" y'all have. And is he as committed as you to letting deer get old? Will y'all share pics and plans on deer?

Well he heard that i had passed Colt and called me. he hasnt owned the property long and didnt know us as he lives out of town. turns out he figured if he passed a deer we would just shoot it. We share pics now several times a week. He is a nice fellow and very interested in letting deer get mature but didnt know it was possible. He was told Colt was 3.5. i shared every year of colts life with him and i think that was a real positive in him understanding that we could have killed Colt every year.

we will see how things play out but I truely believe he will be an asset to us as we will be to him. Good news even if Colt is dead. there are some super deer on the way up!

Comment

Well he heard that i had passed Colt and called me. he hasnt owned the property long and didnt know us as he lives out of town. turns out he figured if he passed a deer we would just shoot it. We share pics now several times a week. He is a nice fellow and very interested in letting deer get mature but didnt know it was possible. He was told Colt was 3.5. i shared every year of colts life with him and i think that was a real positive in him understanding that we could have killed Colt every year.

we will see how things play out but I truely believe he will be an asset to us as we will be to him. Good news even if Colt is dead. there are some super deer on the way up!
                Wow, that doesn't happen as often as it should. That's good news for you for sure. I wish we had that at our place in Centerville. I can't manage to even get a mature deer on camera there.

Comment

Found a lost soul last week down in the thick stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Found a lost soul last week down in the thick stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That’s a good one. Good luck

Comment

Have you looked at the jaw of any of these old bucks? I'm convinced that the jaw is not a very accurate method of aging especially for east Texas deer. I may be completely wrong though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                        Have you looked at the jaw of any of these old bucks? I'm convinced that the jaw is not a very accurate method of aging especially for east Texas deer. I may be completely wrong though.

I don't know about east TX deer specifically but in general I would concur this statement.

Comment

I agree, also. Jaws of our deer are usually show 1 year less age than they really are after the buck reaches age 4.5 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            I don't know about east TX deer specifically but in general I would concur this statement.
                            My point of east Texas deer is their mainly soft green diet.

Comment

The thing that gives jawbone aging "accuracy" is consistency over time and on each particular piece of property or herd... You can develop a very consistent pattern for the deer on a given property through observation over years of hunting/managing a given herd... Use the jawbones as a reference for specific deer of known age from physical observation to establish your benchmarks and you will be very accurate over time... Comparing a jawbone from deer from all over the state/region... an average is the best you will ever do and you will not be necessarily accurate for a given herd.

Comment

With the season starting to wind down a bit, how about posting up some of those hand corn monsters you have been hunting this season?

Comment

Working...
                                X