No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailed up and bayed 4 more since Thanksgiving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	burnet-bay (Copy).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24474001

Name:	eldorado (Copy).jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24474002

Name:	southjunction (Copy).jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	24474003

Name:	lometa (Copy).jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	24474004

Comment

Hillary, is that a lacy?

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        Hillary, is that a lacy?

Yes. She is a great pup so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          Trailed up and bayed 4 more since Thanksgiving.

[ATTACH]828195[/ATTACH]

What the story in Pic #1? That deer looks alive as heck.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            What the story in Pic #1? That deer looks alive as heck.
            That was a 20 - hour track on a leg shot buck. Trailed him 400 yards and ran him another 300 before he bayed up. I snapped that pic with my cell phone right after anchoring him with the .357. I wanted to take video of the bay but the buck already broke away once so I decided it was best not to stall around and I shot him first chance I got.

Buck in Pic #2 was shot with a bow, a little bit back. It was really open country and the buck went a long way before bedding down. Rowdy trailed him about half a mile and bayed him.

Buck in Pic #3 was shot in the back leg with a bow. Trailed him 900 yards and bayed him.

Buck in Pic #4 was shot with a gun. Bullet hit low right in front of the rear ham and exited through the back ham on the other side (no broken bones.) They found a lot of white hair at impact but not a drop of blood. To make matters worse, a heavy rainstorm moved in right after...enough to wash away the buck's wheel marks. It took Rowdy about 20 minutes to line him out but once she picked up his trail, she went 250 yards straight to him and bayed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              That was a 20 - hour track on a leg shot buck. Trailed him 400 yards and ran him another 300 before he bayed up. I snapped that pic with my cell phone right after anchoring him with the .357. I wanted to take video of the bay but the buck already broke away once so I decided it was best not to stall around and I shot him first chance I got.

Buck in Pic #2 was shot with a bow, a little bit back. It was really open country and the buck went a long way before bedding down. Rowdy trailed him about half a mile and bayed him.

Buck in Pic #3 was shot in the back leg with a bow. Trailed him 900 yards and bayed him.

Buck in Pic #4 was shot with a gun. Bullet hit low right in front of the rear ham and exited through the back ham on the other side (no broken bones.) They found a lot of white hair at impact but not a drop of blood. To make matters worse, a heavy rainstorm moved in right after...enough to wash away the buck's wheel marks. It took Rowdy about 20 minutes to line him out but once she picked up his trail, she went 250 yards straight to him and bayed him.

Congrats on all the bay's!

Comment

Congrats on all the tracks guys and gals!! Sounds like some awesome work.

I need to start actually killin a few instead of just watching!

Comment

Could you use any dog as a blood trailing dog? Like say, an Australian cattle dog?

Comment

Ok guys, 2 things ill be getting a pup this year because i finally have time to work with a dog like i should. I would like to know if anybody around offers training for blood tracking, id like to have sombody who knows whats up start the pup.

Also what gear and stuff do yall suggest to get.

I also have been wondering where yall get blood to track with

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I get blood from the local slaughter house and fresh deer hide from my taxidermist. I cut the hide in small pieces and drag it, and leave the hide at the end of the trail for a treat to eat. That's why small pieces so they don't choke on it. Made that mistake the first time. Scared the crap out of me. You should use treats until old enough to eat the hide. As far as equipment goes a GPS collar. Good luck with your pup. I'm getting a bigger kick out of tracking than killing. It's pretty cool to spend all that time training a dog and then see it work. That's why I suggest to train yourself. Very rewarding. My dog is now 11 months old and found two hogs and a deer this week in south Texas extreme brush. I will post pics when I get back home cause I can't get my phone to do so. Have you already got a pup or are you looking for one? The lady I got my dog from is expecting another litter around Christmas if your interested.

Comment

Im waiting on a litter... im looking to get a jagdterrier. So thank you but unless thats what you have then ill pass. I ordered a couple books and been reading a lot online, like i said id still rather have somebody with exsperience start the pup.

On those hides are you freezing them or just let them "dry"

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          Im waiting on a litter... im looking to get a jagdterrier. So thank you but unless thats what you have then ill pass. I ordered a couple books and been reading a lot online, like i said id still rather have somebody with exsperience start the pup.

On those hides are you freezing them or just let them "dry"

I freeze them individually in ziplock freezer bags. The pups that I know of are Lacys.

Comment

Originally posted by Errinallison View Post
                            Could you use any dog as a blood trailing dog? Like say, an Australian cattle dog?

Definitely, with proper training the dog should be able rounder stand he game and be a Tracking asset.

Comment

Taz was 3 for 3 this weekend. All three were tuff tracks to. Two pigs and one deer.
                              The first pig went 100 yrds in really thick nasty south Texas brush. She went straight to it with no problems at all.

The second pig which I didn't get pictures of wasn't quite as good o shot. It went about 300 yrds in the same thick nasty brush. I had to crawl in the last 100 yards. She went in, found the pig then came back to me 3 times, licked me in the face while crawling in as if she was saying come on old man I got it.

I shot the deer around 5:00 pm. Before I could get back to camp to get Taz, the bottom fell out of the clouds. We tried to track this deer in the rain with no luck. The weather did not improve until 6:00 am the next morning. After raining all night I took Taz down wind of where I expected the deer to be. In a short time she stuck her nose up in the air and took off. She winded the deer from about 100 yrds and went straight to it. She did REAL GOOD. I'm extremely proud of her. She is now 11 months old and this is her first season and she is 4 for 5. The deer she couldn't find was a poor shot. Back and low. Hopefully it is still alive. The shot was videoed and I believe it will make it.
                              l

[ATTACH]829226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]829227[/ATTACH]

Comment

Do you need to stay after

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X