Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    Sounds like your dog did great.

A deer that is not lethally hit (will recover) should not be bayed and finished in my opinion.
    Thank you, but Its hard to know that before the track starts. Hunter says good hit and there's good blood, dogs going out. This isn't the first time I've had a buck not bay, and 4 of the 5 have come back somewhere on camera. I think if he is not hurt bad enough to bay he stands a great chance of living. but saying that without trying to get him is tough.
    Last edited by BrokenJ; 11-21-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      Sounds like your dog did great.

A deer that is not lethally hit (will recover) should not be bayed and finished in my opinion.
      I understand this reasoning...but tell that to the poor hunter that's fixing to have to pay full price for a deer he's not going to get. On most ranches, you draw blood, you must pay...so in those situations we make every effort to find the deer...if it can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
        Thank you, but Its hard to know that before the track starts. Hunter says good hit and there's good blood, dogs going out. This isn't the first time I've had a buck not bay, and 4 of the 5 have come back somewhere on camera. I think if he is not hurt bad enough to bay he stands a great chance of living. but saying that without trying to get him is toigh.

I absolutely understand. Over the last 4 years my dog sure isn't 100% on finds but well over 1/2 of what he didn't find has shown back up either in person or on camera. Due to area I run on lead so he couldn't bay if he wanted but to me a dead deer doesn't need to be bay'd

Comment

First unsuccessful track

Well I put Lola on her first questionable hit today and it we came up empty. I learned a lot but not sure I know exactly what to do other than keep training.

1. We have a long way to go and a lot to learn

2. Apparently new territory means new trash to be broken from (the abundance of pack rats and field mice in clay county were more tempting than anticipated)

3 I need to trust her nose she wanted to go one way but the shooter was certain the deer went the other so like a dummy I pulled her off the track. Then found decent blood about 50yds in her original direction 30 minutes later.

4. Definitely need to get a GPS and training e collar and get off leash. I think pulling her off the track initially and then constantly slowing her down on the track with the leash and fighting the pack rat problem was just too much for her. An hour or so in we found a bed with decent blood but she didn't seem interested at all. Maybe she knew he wasn't fatally hit I don't know.

Just hoping this wasn't too much of a set back. All of her other tracks have been slam dunk blood pouring out both sides short tracks.

Comments advice criticisms....Go
          Last edited by sweetinlow660; 11-25-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

https://vimeo.com/193124445https://vimeo.com/193124481

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got my girl on some blood today

Comment

And I got my new tracking system in today

Comment

Love my alpha... and so will you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                    I understand this reasoning...but tell that to the poor hunter that's fixing to have to pay full price for a deer he's not going to get. On most ranches, you draw blood, you must pay...so in those situations we make every effort to find the deer...if it can be found.
                    We call that an incentive to make a good and lethal shot.
                    But yeh, I'm no vet.. if I see blood...going to do everything I can to find and finish that animal...

Comment

I am new to TBH and to tracking wounded animals. I joined to be able to learn what I can about tracking and bow hunting. I hope this thread continues. Is there a place on this forum to find local trackers to help find a deer? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Love my alpha... and so will you.
                        Oh ya. Santa is bringing Taz and I am Alpha 430 T5. Can't wait. Feel like a kid waiting on Christmas!!

Comment

New to the game. Just picked up our new girl "Pam" this Sunday.

Playing catchup on this thread! Trying to learn!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post

Pretty pup!

Comment

Guest I guided this afternoon hot low and foward with a 260. Buck was not even close to where we were looking when the blood ran out. He took a 90 degree turn in the brush and made it a good ways. Bobcat beat us there and took some ham, but dimmit found him. Happy hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post

This tread is a great place to learn. I'm new to the tracking game as well and have learned a lot from this tread. As I'm sure you can see there are several very experienced trackers that follow it. Good looking pup. Confabulation !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X