Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught one for a fellow TBHer tonight.

Comment

Working late!!!! Great job to all of you folks with dogs.

Comment

Looking good Sika!

Comment

Put Jesse on my daughters deer just for more practice. She covered the 100 yards in about 10 seconds.

Id never wish for a gut shot but she needs a more challenging track.

Comment

ShockValue, I've been thinking a lot about tracking and what I want a dog to do. The easy tracks are pretty much a must for any young dog, but when it comes to more experienced dogs you'd like to know there are hard tracks under their belt. Perhaps you could do some really difficult mock trails. Or, go find that easy track deer before getting the dog and get you a leg off of it, tie a rope to it, go back to where you shot, and make another trail in the opposite direction. Then take your dog and put them on the "fake" trail head and see how they do tracking a longer and more difficult scent trail. Then finding the initial impact spot will initiate an easier track. Basically they will go from having to really work to having an easy trail, which will be a semi-reward. Then the deer laying at the end of an easy trail further reinforces the reward

Comment

Guiding a young guest this morning. He Missed this buck at 100, and gut shot him at 130 yards with a 25-06 on the next one. Buck was hit at 6:55am after the hunt I found a small amount of gut where he was standing, so we backed out. Havin jumped a few gut shot deer over the past couple seasons and didn't want to chance it. I put dimmit out after eatting lunch around 12:45pm and he took a 150 yard loop to a dead deer, buck had bedded up in some nasty white brush and time did the rest. He went 143 5/8

Comment

I put cinch on one of my own today. I was sitting all day in the rain and this buck came out at 1:45. There was no visible blood so I elected to go get him. He got right on it and found him 70 yds away in the thicket.

Comment

^ good looking dog! and congrats on the buck and track.

Tracked a shoulder shot doe hit with a bow this morning, I couldn't believe she made it as far as she did leaving a good blood trail. Me an dimmit went .86 miles on the GPS be for we hit the neighbors fence and I had to call him off. Nice spot of blood where she slid under 5 strand. Stinks we couldn't keep going but I know the neighbor and he wouldn't have it. Super proud if him and his tracking this year, he was prolly wondering why he got praised and petted without find the deer haha

Comment

Finally got my pup on another track and she did great. Once again a short trail where the dog really wasnt needed but its been nice getting here on alot of easy trails with a deer at the end. Shot a nice 10 up in Lampasas and dropped her and off she went. He ran 75 yards and zig zagged through some thick stuff... she went straight to him and was dragging him around by the time I got there. She is getting strong! Hope to get her on some harder tracks towards the end of the season. Shes 7-8 or 8-9 for the season and the only one she hasnt found was a pig that we jumped and was still alive.

Comment

I Pulled the shot as she stepped at 200yards. she was on the edge of a big sunflower patch. Lost sight after shot, so I put dimmit on her. She made it 175 yards he took a straight line to a dead deer. Bow hunters in this weekend dimmits ready.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post

I Pulled the shot as she stepped at 200yards. she was on the edge of a big sunflower patch. Lost sight after shot, so I put dimmit on her. She made it 175 yards he took a straight line to a dead deer. Bow hunters in this weekend dimmits ready.

Congrats, dimmit is doing pretty good this season..

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

December has been slow. Finally got a chance to track one this afternoon. Total track was over 700 yards. Dog found him alive, ran him about 500 yards before he died.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxTracking View Post
                            Got a call this morning from a lease member saying he shot 2 deer and couldn't find them. Put the dog on the ground and found the first one within 75yds. Then put her on the buck trail and she followed it for 650yds through some thick stickers and found the deer! Glad we could help him out and double up on recovery

Pretty impressive man.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
                              Pretty impressive man.

Thank you sir.

Comment

Sounds like some good tracks guys and gals congrats! Is it bad to almost want a bad shot?! I need to get the pup on a harder trail and see how she does....almost every track has been under 100 yards or so this year. She did track a pig close to 300 but we jumped it alive so I pulled her off. Got some doe tags to burn the next few weeks so we will get her some more practice before the season ends. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X