No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just put it at the end of the track with treats.
    Last edited by meangene1969; 01-25-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Well Ryder got on his first live track yesterday, he went about 65 yards and recovered a doe.
      Attached Files

Comment

Keep at it boys with young pups they will get it. Darn dogs are SUPER smart once they've grasped their JOB. It'll be all natural for them. By no means am I a professional or nearly on the level as some of the others in this thread. I'm just speaking of the experience I've gotten with my dog and this season. I am very pleased with how our season turned out and ended. Just hate that it's the end. Luckily my bow pro runs a exotic op. So hoping to get some tracks every month or so.

Comment

It sure is good to see even more folks taking an interest in working their dogs.

Best of luck fellas.

Comment

Can't wait to get my JRT and start him, gonna be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter10 View Post
              I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can help out with. I have a 7 week old catahoula pup that I'm going to use for blood trailing. My question is if 7 weeks is too early? I ran a mock trail today for him and he seemed interested but would stop at every blood spot and lick it until I basically forced him to move on. Is this normal? Any info would be appreciated.

Remember that when a pup is just starting every drop of blood is "the prize" to them. They don't realize there is something better waiting at the end so it isn't uncommon for them to work over each drop.

I like for my dogs to stop and mark the drops. One of these days you will be deep in the woods in the middle of the night looking for a deer that hasn't left a drop of blood in a long time. It's nice when the dog stops and marks the blood. Let's you know that they are still on the track.

Comment

Thanks Tex. Good info I hadn't thought of it that way.

Comment

Tuco, 4 oz of water to 16 oz of blood or 4 oz of water to 12 oz of blood? Going to slaughter house tomorrow, already called, they said show up with a letter for what im using it for and my buckets.. Can't wait to get it all n pick up my JRT in feb.

Comment

My pup Duke that I'm training this year was also slow and steady on his first tracks. And unsure what to do when he found the deer. But with a little encouragement , he was all over the deer ! It's fun to see their progress !

Comment

This was my dog's track today. I'm pretty pleased, took him a while but he sorted it out. I think he's coming along!

Comment

Originally posted by The "Juan" 12 View Post

Tuco, 4 oz of water to 16 oz of blood or 4 oz of water to 12 oz of blood? Going to slaughter house tomorrow, already called, they said show up with a letter for what im using it for and my buckets.. Can't wait to get it all n pick up my JRT in feb.
                        I don't water ithe blood down Juan.

Two oz. of blood goes a long way.

Comment

Hey Leo, I will give you a shout today.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                            Hey Leo, I will give you a shout today.
                            Okie doke James, sounds good buddy

Comment

Originally posted by The "Juan" 12 View Post
                              Can't wait to get my JRT and start him, gonna be fun
                              A few more weeks Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                A few more weeks Leo.
                                Im so excited! Cant wait to get that lil bundle of joy!

Comment

Working...
                                X