No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like he has got it im gonna learn a lot hopefully from everyone next couple weeks and constitency is a good tool I have found looks like yall are doing good.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
      It may be that my expectations are to high.
      Not sure how many mock tracks he's done so far. Quite a few.
      I have been using about 3-4 oz of blood for a 400+ yrd track. I started using tracking shoes a few months back and use about half as much blood. I use Blood feet and hide from the same deer. When he gets off line he will usually work it out If bring him back to a previous point in the line and tell him to track it.
      For a reward I usually give him a little bit of heart from the deer and let him chase the hide and play a little tug of war. He tracked a deer for me this season. Not a spectacular track, and has tracked 2 hogs as well. He did ok on those.

What are tracking shoes?

Comment

Tracking shoes is an adapter you out on your shoe that holds a deer leg. Each Time you step, the deer leg 'steps'. This allows the hoof and inner gland of the hoof to make ground contact.
        Better scent trail.

Comment

Just starting out a Jagd Terrier and was wondering if anyone had any pieces of a cape, or parts they would be willing to let go of ? I have a few calls into local taxidermist but no luck yet, also any blood would be appreciated as of now all we have is a zip lock full of deer liver that I am starting her off on.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
            Tracking shoes is an adapter you out on your shoe that holds a deer leg. Each Time you step, the deer leg 'steps'. This allows the hoof and inner gland of the hoof to make ground contact.
            Better scent trail.

Where can I find such tracking shoes?

Or have w can. I Make some..

Comment

United blood tracker website. Look in the store

Comment

Anyone have some deer blood around central Texas??

Comment

It's not my intent to knock out anyone's business, but those tracking shoes are not necessary to train a dog. That's a fact. It is also my opinion, given that I've never used them, that they would be ineffective without blood on them. If you have to use blood anyway, why bother. Plus I don't want to lay a trail that leaves blood every 2 yards as that's way too easy.

As for tracking scent from interdigital gland, you have to presume that the interdigital gland continues to produce scent. Since the leg is no longer attached to a live animal, that's a weak presumption. Even if it did, I don't want the dog tracking interdigital glands, I want it to track blood and/or distress scent, as there is an abundance of interdigital gland scent across the country side from other deer.

I do strongly suspect that the dog is capable of tracking a specific deer based on the interdigital gland, as I have seen this in my own dog, but I believe that she associates that with the wounded deer, not solely interdigital gland. How I can't say. But I don't think a severed leg from a different deer that had been in the freezer for a year would replicate that situation.

Comment

I am new to this but here is my observation.
                    Dogs can learn to follow the scent of an individual deer. The blood, feet, and hide I use for each track is from one specific deer for each track. Each one is from a deer that was shot either by friends or family. That way I get the "distress" scent. I'll start out with a very faint blood trail that eventually fades out and the dog has to follow the interdigital scent after that. I know a guy in Georgia that has one of the top dogs in the country that has tracked many many deer with no blood trails using this meathod. After his dogs mature he no longer uses blood at all.
                    Last edited by Randy Madden; 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      It's not my intent to knock out anyone's business, but those tracking shoes are not necessary to train a dog. That's a fact. It is also my opinion, given that I've never used them, that they would be ineffective without blood on them. If you have to use blood anyway, why bother. Plus I don't want to lay a trail that leaves blood every 2 yards as that's way too easy.

As for tracking scent from interdigital gland, you have to presume that the interdigital gland continues to produce scent. Since the leg is no longer attached to a live animal, that's a weak presumption. Even if it did, I don't want the dog tracking interdigital glands, I want it to track blood and/or distress scent, as there is an abundance of interdigital gland scent across the country side from other deer.

I do strongly suspect that the dog is capable of tracking a specific deer based on the interdigital gland, as I have seen this in my own dog, but I believe that she associates that with the wounded deer, not solely interdigital gland. How I can't say. But I don't think a severed leg from a different deer that had been in the freezer for a year would replicate that situation.

You make a good point..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24485942pic of remi and dustins pup bess in the background this weekend in Uvalde just thought I'd share

Comment

Originally posted by Msgreenga View Post
                          [ATTACH]842477[/ATTACH]pic of remi and dustins pup bess in the background this weekend in Uvalde just thought I'd share
                          Cool pic, how did Remi do on the trails?

Comment

The trail on Saturday they laid out she did good they said just where she needs to be at 7 months the test on Sunday not to good but it was on me when she had a stumble at 90 (caught a cactus in her mouth and got slightly distracted) she was there they said I wasn't reading Her and put her back when they called me over and bam finaihed the trail so that won't happen again plus a lot of people watching and i was Allitle nervous especially when you got robbie hurt behind you watching my anxiety was kicked in lol

Comment

The trail on Saturday they laid out she did good they said just where she needs to be at 7 months the test on Sunday not to good but it was on me when she had a stumble at 90 (caught a cactus in her mouth and got slightly distracted) she was there they said I wasn't reading Her and put her back when they called me over and bam finaihed the trail so that won't happen again plus a lot of people watching and i was Allitle nervous especially when you got robbie hurt behind you watching my anxiety was kicked in lol
                              It was really good to meet you & remi. I wish we could have been in the same group. Hope to see you in lampasas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like it was just a little hiccup. Good thing is that your learned from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X