TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
    I had a customer drop off this buck for a skull mount yesterday and figured I would introduce my new JRT to him. She loved it, LOL! Got tons of blood and liver saved for Roux!

Hey man where did you get that dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter10 View Post
      I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can help out with. I have a 7 week old catahoula pup that I'm going to use for blood trailing. My question is if 7 weeks is too early? I ran a mock trail today for him and he seemed interested but would stop at every blood spot and lick it until I basically forced him to move on. Is this normal? Any info would be appreciated.
      Not too early. I start mine at 8 weeks. They will tend to want to play more, but that's just the puppy in them. As they get older, they will begin to understand what you want them to do. They will either have it in them to hunt or not.

Comment

Bowhunter10 this was Freckles first mock at 8 weeks old and he licked, scratched at every spot. I just kept saying "hunt it up" over and over and over again, he began going drop to drop till the end. It took him at least 5 minutes of courses felt like forever till he got to the end (20 yards). I was proud of him. I am as novice or rookie as they come. This is my first Catahoula and tracking dog but everyone I have reached out to; said make it extremely easy at first and don't get discouraged. I would bet what you experienced is very normal. I would tell you to reach out to the experienced guys on here. I have and everyone has been very kind, helpful and knowledgeable.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not discouraged at all just trying to see how everyone else's first has gone. My pup is really smart and is already sitting and starting to shake hands after just a couple days. Also was really easy to kennel train him. He has a lot of ball drive and loves to play tug a war. So I think he has the drive but was just curious.

Comment

He sounds great! Freckles has sit but stay is still at work.

Comment

Jax is looking great

Comment

Thanks mean. I Won't lie I have to give a lot of props to my wife. She is home with him all day while I'm at work so she helps with the obedience and kennel training.

Comment

Haha mine also. Thank God for great wives.
                  Last edited by meangene1969; 01-25-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

What did you use to drag for the trail mean?

Comment

To be honest with you I used just drops of blood this time but im picking up beef liver tomorrow from a local slaughter house.

Comment

Ok so you didn't use a hide of anytime?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter10 View Post
                          Thanks for the feedback. I'm not discouraged at all just trying to see how everyone else's first has gone. My pup is really smart and is already sitting and starting to shake hands after just a couple days. Also was really easy to kennel train him. He has a lot of ball drive and loves to play tug a war. So I think he has the drive but was just curious.
                          You gotcha a good one. He will be fine.

Comment

Thanks LML

Comment

Bowhunter10 I did use a 10" by 10" piece of hide.

Comment

Thanks mean

Comment

Working...
                                X