TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
    Just take treat in ziplock bag and give dog the treat right at moment they find prize, no need to lay it on ground
    How does that work for people running their dogs off a lead? Which I would assume most do. Plus I wouldn't want my deer dog associating me with the reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
      They make a bowl with water around it to keep ants out
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'll have to give this a look. I can also try to suspend it as suggested. With this dog I'm scared he would eat the whole **** rope/string. LOL

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
      How does that work for people running their dogs off a lead? Which I would assume most do. Plus I wouldn't want my deer dog associating me with the reward.
      Yep. I try to keep up but I also want to stay back to make sure he is truly following the trail so I'm not right there when he gets to it, ie he is coming to me, etc.. I'm close enough to yell praise but not close enough to give the treat.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
        I'll have to give this a look. I can also try to suspend it as suggested. With this dog I'm scared he would eat the whole **** rope/string. LOL

Yep. I try to keep up but I also want to stay back to make sure he is truly following the trail so I'm not right there when he gets to it, ie he is coming to me, etc.. I'm close enough to yell praise but not close enough to give the treat.
        Exactly. Let him work it out and figure it out on his own. Only time I'm getting involved is if they lose the trail and just can't pick it up again. Then take him to last known blood or if you see a point on his GPS track that he really worked and circled around. Start him over again and let him work it out. Then lots of praise at the end. I started off on a lead with mine and it only took me a few tracks to say screw that! Lol she worked so much better off lead where she could set her own pace do her thing and cover ground. Sure is nice to set back and watch them on GPS vrs getting drug through all that mess.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post

Exactly. Let him work it out and figure it out on his own. Only time I'm getting involved is if they lose the trail and just can't pick it up again. Then take him to last known blood or if you see a point on his GPS track that he really worked and circled around. Start him over again and let him work it out. Then lots of praise at the end. I started off on a lead with mine and it only took me a few tracks to say screw that! Lol she worked so much better off lead where she could set her own pace do her thing and cover ground. Sure is nice to set back and watch them on GPS vrs getting drug through all that mess.

Plus if I had the reward on me my dog would be all over me in about 30 seconds as soon as she got a whiff of it!

Comment

Selling tracking /trailing Garmin Astro 100 .

Comment

Rookie here. Got me a Standard European Daschund from a very good bloodline. Been working with my pup ALOT. At 13 weeks old, he had his first recovery. We have a long ways to go, but super excited about it. Proud of this guy! Name is Beau. Beau Mathews. I need to get the "Tracking Dogs for findind Wounded Deer" by John Jeanneney if any of you have one to sell, please let me know.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mainly wanted to tag in on this thread. I have been working some with my mutt. She has some good natural ability but once thing we’re struggling with is a weak or non existent blood trail.

Early season when the deer are still overly fat they often don’t bleed much if at all. The fat seems to plug the holes up some. Any tips for that?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  Mainly wanted to tag in on this thread. I have been working some with my mutt. She has some good natural ability but once thing we’re struggling with is a weak or non existent blood trail.

Early season when the deer are still overly fat they often don’t bleed much if at all. The fat seems to plug the holes up some. Any tips for that?

I know this is an old thread but I had to bring it back such good knowledge and stories in here.

To answer your question and no I’m not a expert by any means. But from hearing from the guys and gals at the UBT event they said this is when hoove training comes into play.

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Put the Jack on a gut shot the other day. He was doing good until I’m guessing we kept bumping her. I’m thinking he ran outta gas and lost interest. The deer was found dead maybe another 150 yards from where he “lost interest”. Ended up being about 600 yards or more

Last edited by TexasTrophyBowhunter; 04-07-2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

Honestly it shouldn't make a difference tracking wise. It will make for a little less blood but the dog should be able to find it. Can do some mock trails with very little blood to get the dog used to it but there is usually always blood whether we see it or not. Good looking dog!
                      Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 04-07-2023, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Anyone going to any UBT events this year? Had fun at the Oklahoma event this past weekend. Post some pictures of the event here on TBH on a post a made. Had a great time. Decided to go to Missouri the end of this month.

Also going to another event here in Texas the 22nd. It’s not UBT but going to be fun.

Comment

Have been training one of my pups as a back up for my main tracking dog. She was out of my female and doing awesome. Fallow bull got ahold of her and she didn't make it through surgery....first one I've lost like that and it was hard. Specially when my 4 year old was very attached to her and had helped me training her the whole time. RIP Willie Mae.

Comment

Whatever happened to Tuco? He used to be a great contributor to this site. Much better than most that is posed these days.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              Whatever happened to Tuco? He used to be a great contributor to this site. Much better than most that is posed these days.

Last time I talked to him he was still working for Encinal down at the ranch.

Comment

Working...
                              X