No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuco how was Gumbos season? Get him of alot of tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Tuco how was Gumbos season?

Get him of alot of tracks?
      We have been very busy throughout the entire season, and I put him on as many tracks as I was able to; but not as many as I would have liked.

A majority of the shots made by clients during the season either anchored the deer in its tracks, or they only made it a short distance. And in many cases I would be in the blind with another hunter when a kill was made therefore I was unable to put Gumbo on the track.

He found every buck we put him on except 2 and it was evident that both of those bucks were still going strong at the time they were being tracked. The two deer in question were bow shot bucks.

Being just a puppy, I was not about to turn Gumbo loose at ten months old on a 250# buck that I thought was still alive. He weighs in at 60 pounds and is lightning fast; but he is still just a pup.

It has been a good first year for Gumbo and he is around deer both dead and alive on a daily basis. I believe he has learned a lot this year; and I have as well.

We will be taking a lot of does in the following weeks and I hope to cut him loose on as many of them as I can if the situation permits.

Comment

Gead deal Tuco and thanks for the updates. Love hearing how these pups are doing. Sounds like he is off to a great start.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Good deal Tuco and thanks for the updates.

Love hearing how these pups are doing.

Sounds like he is off to a great start.
          I am really enjoying watching all of these pups grow up.

It will be cool to look back at the beginning of this thread a few years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
            I am really enjoying watching all of these pups grow up.

It will be cool to look back at the beginning of this thread a few years from now.

Yes sir. It will be awesome to see their progress after a few seasons under their belts. Hopefully I will be able to add to the thread next season. Still plan on getting a pup from Steve in the spring. Been saving blood, liver, and hides all season. probably got about 20 bottles of blood saved up so far. Hoping to add some this weekend as we still have a few does to knock down.

Comment

Started my 7 week old Lacy "Sako" today on a 20 yard blended liver trail. He found the end but it took him about 10 minutes. He stopped and licked every splash of blood and chewed in the dirt. I used about 10 oz of the mix just so there was a lot for him to find on his first track.

Did I use to much? I layed it and maybe 5 minutes went by before I put him on it. Maybe wait a little longer for it to soak into the dirt a little?

Comment

Good weekend tracking. Gotta call from a buddy saying his daughter had shot a big 8 pt Saturday morning but they had lost all blood after about 200 yds. I loaded up "Camo" and headed to the ranch. Put him down in the track which was now 12 hours old. We visually followed blood for about 200 yds like he said then it just stopped. He said that shot was quartering away and a little low. They kept looking for blood in the same direction and I kept eye on my Garmin. About 10 minutes later I see that he has stopped. I sent my oldest son up ahead and walked with my buddies daughter so she has light. We walk a little bit and I hear my son saying something but I can't make it out. My buddies daughter said I think I heard him say good boy Camo. I smiled and said that means he found your deer !! She broke into a run and needless to say when she got there she was one happy young lady. 740 yards out and last visual we could see blood at 200 yds.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421700574.280864.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	24359157

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421700597.071728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24359158

So we are dragging her deer back and my son gets another text from another buddy on the ranch saying don't leave. I need the dog. We head to the other side of the ranch and drop Camo again. He said the shot was good just a steep angle and didn't exit. We find a few drops of blood but nothing else. We start to head that direction he saw the deer run and I look and see Camo is already stopped about 175 yards out so I know he is on the deer. Head that way and find 2nd deer of the night. We probably would have found this deer eventually with some sweeping of the area but it sure is nice with the dog.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421701022.238439.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24359160
                Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Thats awesome congrats on some geat dog work! Some good looking bucks as well.

Comment

I had a customer drop off this buck for a skull mount yesterday and figured I would introduce my new JRT to him. She loved it, LOL! Got tons of blood and liver saved for Roux!

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                        Started my 7 week old Lacy "Sako" today on a 20 yard blended liver trail. He found the end but it took him about 10 minutes. He stopped and licked every splash of blood and chewed in the dirt. I used about 10 oz of the mix just so there was a lot for him to find on his first track.

Did I use to much? I layed it and maybe 5 minutes went by before I put him on it. Maybe wait a little longer for it to soak into the dirt a little?
                        LOL. That sounds about like how it's gone for me so far.

Comment

Our first blood trail at 6 weeks was a successful one today!

Comment

I started Freckles today at 8 weeks old on his first ever mock trail. I set a pretty straight 20 yard trail and I believe he did great. He started nose down and smelled every drop. It took about 5 minutes but he found the prize. I am having a blast working with him.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can help out with. I have a 7 week old catahoula pup that I'm going to use for blood trailing. My question is if 7 weeks is too early? I ran a mock trail today for him and he seemed interested but would stop at every blood spot and lick it until I basically forced him to move on. Is this normal? Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter10 View Post
                                I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can help out with. I have a 7 week old catahoula pup that I'm going to use for blood trailing. My question is if 7 weeks is too early? I ran a mock trail today for him and he seemed interested but would stop at every blood spot and lick it until I basically forced him to move on. Is this normal? Any info would be appreciated.
                                Let him lick every drop of blood. 7weeks is not to old. Just keep doing what youre doing, if its in him, he will track.

Comment

Working...
                                X