No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to all the guys and dogs on their first track!! Thats awesome!

Comment

I don't have a local butcher, and I don't feel right spending $19 on dog bone deer blood scent stuff. Is there any way around this? I'd like to have my dog started by deer season. Anything I can buy at the grocery store to mimic the blood?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
        I don't have a local butcher, and I don't feel right spending $19 on dog bone deer blood scent stuff. Is there any way around this? I'd like to have my dog started by deer season. Anything I can buy at the grocery store to mimic the blood?
        Ive been using beef livers that I blend with water. It has worked well so far. I noticed no difference in my dog running a trail on this then on deer blood.

Comment

Ive used the blood off deer meat that was defroosted to cook. Granted it wont be a substantial amount. But will be enough to get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
            Ive been using beef livers that I blend with water. It has worked well so far. I noticed no difference in my dog running a trail on this then on deer blood.
            What's the ratio your mixing it at?

Comment

Originally posted by horseshoo View Post
              Ive used the blood off deer meat that was defroosted to cook. Granted it wont be a substantial amount. But will be enough to get you started.
              Thats exactly where my blood came from. TXtyler had some late season grinding to do. I provided the grinder, her provided blood.

I would/will use beef blood when this is gone.

Comment

i put a whole container of liver in the blender and keep adding water till its nice and then. I then pour this mixture in a bunch of empty water bottles to freeze. As I pull the bottles out to thaw I add a bit more water to it just to then it out more.

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
                  i put a whole container of liver in the blender and keep adding water till its nice and then. I then pour this mixture in a bunch of empty water bottles to freeze. As I pull the bottles out to thaw I add a bit more water to it just to then it out more.
                  Sounds pretty Gnarly.

Comment

makes me gag every time lol. But it is what I have available all the time so I make do.
                    Just realized I kept typing then instead of thin

Comment

The Jack Russells have started out well this year!

Comment

My assistant trainer.

The drag.

Had opposite problem then melting. Pulled direct from deep freeze. The darn thing took for ever to start to leave a trail. Might work well for a long drag with very light scent?

Comment

FAIL!!!!!

Pup was so excited new area, reg dog trail. No clue what I was asking of her. At first the trail was real light but as we got further down it was thicker due to starting to melt. She put 2 n 2 together and took off on the line. How ever I was so excited she finally clued in and telling her how good she was going she got off the line and passed up the reward. had to bring her back to it and at that time some body was coming by with a golden retriever that caught whiff of the prize first.

Lessons learned

1. Thicker trail more more treats and when she gets on it don't get so excited you get her going to fast.

2. Much shorter defined line.

3. Take her for a walk to wear her down a little first. She still pumped everyone was home and she got to go for a ride.

4. Bloodsicles take a while to start melting but once it gets going you don't have too much time.

5. Grass might work better as the sand, dirt, and rocks collected on the sickle. Seems grass might take the blood better then the opposite the sickle taking the sand and dirt with us.

6. My daughter has a great perspective. She said daddy we just have to try it again and again. Jenna will learn how to do it. Just like you taught me how to write.

7. This is an awesome boding adventure withy dog and family. Having a blast failing beats tv any evening.

Comment

I bought a 1 lb bag of calf liver, and blended it when i got home with water. I then placed it in the bottles about 3/4 of the way full, then they went in the freezer without the caps on. I took the last little bi,t and put it in a small bottle. I made a really heavy trail about 35 feet long, and in a straight line. I let it rest for a min then I came inside to get my Lab/Weimaraner. I put her new leash, and choker collar on. We went outside. She was interested in the track, but only interested for a few steps, then she would stop and get distracted with something else. Then i would get her back on it for a few feet, and she was distracted again. When we finally made it to the end where I gave her a small chunk of Liver. Then we came inside because it was getting dark.
                            What I Learned(doing this tomorrow morning) :
                            1. Make trail shorter
                            2. Put small dog food pieces every few feet in trail to hold Addi's attention
                            3. Have a large treat(breakfast/bowl of dog food) at the end of the trail.

Open to other suggestions.

Comment

Here is the blood tracker
                              Attached Files

Comment

How did it go this morning? I think I will follow your lead with treats along the way. Thought I could skip that because she trails my daughter in there never ending game of hide and seek. it's pretty cool. Aubrey will be of hiding some where and I not clued in to the game is about to start and I hear, Jenna find Aubrey. The ears go up , the head cocks to the side and she takes off. I think Jenna really did not know I what I was asking her to do. Trying it again Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X