Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Bayou on blood this week. He seems to have a pretty hot nose.

Comment

Dang Steve that's a great looking pup !!
      What would the outcome be of breeding a silver to a red Leopard ?

Comment

Originally posted by deerslayer64d View Post
        Dang Steve that's a great looking pup !!

What would the outcome be of breeding a silver to a red Leopard ?

It just depends on bloodlines, but with this pup and my red leopard, they would prolly throw some solid red pups with tan trim and possibly some blue colored pups. We will find out come next spring.

Comment

Keep us updated with the progress guys!! Glad to hear he's doing good Steve.

Comment

Getting warmed up to our new tracking dog. He's already got a few tracks under his belt.

Comment

Got a question for everyone since its been bugging me lately. How do I know when my dog is ready for the real thing? Everyone keeps telling me to do the hide drags with some blood, but is that a realistic test of what a blood trail will be like?

Should I do drop blood on the ground, if so how often to give him an accurate test?

He's 100% on mock trails like that so far, but it doesn't seem like dragging a hide is the same kind of trail a deer would leave, just a beginner trying to figure everything out! I want to take him out on a hog soon, just want to make sure I have him prepared enough to succeed

Comment

Kill a hog, locate the hog. Then test the pup. If he starts to get off track start him back on the right track. You already know where the hog is. At least that is what the book says to do

Comment

Daisy just ran two good trails. Especially for it being hot outside. They weren't too long but nite turns and less blood than normsl

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Daisy just ran two good trails. Especially for it being hot outside. They weren't too long but nite turns and less blood than normsl
                    that's awesome man sounds like shes off to a good start!

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
                      Got a question for everyone since its been bugging me lately. How do I know when my dog is ready for the real thing? Everyone keeps telling me to do the hide drags with some blood, but is that a realistic test of what a blood trail will be like?

Should I do drop blood on the ground, if so how often to give him an accurate test?

He's 100% on mock trails like that so far, but it doesn't seem like dragging a hide is the same kind of trail a deer would leave, just a beginner trying to figure everything out! I want to take him out on a hog soon, just want to make sure I have him prepared enough to succeed

If you are doing a solid drag try just touching it to the ground every few yards.

Comment

What is the command you are using for blood tracking and encouragement motivation? My kids and I spend more time in the woods than any where else when not at work. I have Jenna tracking down my kids. The command is " find Aubrey" or" find Brodie " first few times Jenna would look at me because she recognized my tone and knew I was asking her to do something. But was not sure what. I had my daughter hiding under the bed with a treat who also called out " Jenna find Aubrey" she would hear Aubrey and try locate the sound and then we praised her and gave her treats. The next time I asked her find Aubrey, Aubrey only had to also give the command a few times to get Jenna to relate the command. My kids think it is the coolest thing in the world playing hide and seek with Jenna. I think it's the coolest thing in the world that if one of my kids wondered off from camp or got hurt out in the woods and came up missing my dog can find them. Aubrey no longer has to give Jenna hints by calling out to her from her hiding spot. I have not set a mock trail yet because frankly I have never done this before and just getting far enough into the book to be ready to attempt it with out screwing it up. Not sure if I need a totally different command from "find the deer" or will she be able to recognize difference in the command of find the bird ( which is any of her toys) find Aubrey, find Brodie. At this point it appears she reconize each command as a different task. But I have yet to hide her toy, and my kids at the same time and tell her to get one or the other. Still encouraging the find the kids at this point.

Comment

A typical mock trail for Bullet and I goes like this:

Me: "Bullet, wanna go hunt??"

Bullet:"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Pull out his tracking collar

Bullet: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

set him down by the truck and walk in the general direction of where the trail starts and its all over, he gone!

He's 16 weeks right now

Comment

I'm hoping to get a couple of Blue Lacey's soon. I love the look of those dogs. From what I've read they are really good dogs too. Is it better to hunt a dog solo or in a pair?

Comment

I've heard in pairs it really pushes their drive and makes it a sort of competition for them

Comment

Originally posted by FIO17 View Post
                                I'm hoping to get a couple of Blue Lacey's soon. I love the look of those dogs. From what I've read they are really good dogs too. Is it better to hunt a dog solo or in a pair?
                                "Hunt"???

Are you planning to use the dogs for blood tracking or hunting? If working a blood trail I would say one dog. If hunting then please elaborate on what your hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X