TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
    Abcantra out of louisiana just posted a male Catahoula for sale that is trained in tracking.
    Couldn't find it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the oldest age you can start training a lacy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

I trained my male Lacy from 8 weeks but the wife's female has always been a "pet" I started putting her on blood a couple years back (she was 7 years old) and now I run them together and she doing really well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seay; 03-07-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

My 2 cents it’s never too late to put a dog to use. You are probably better off starting sooner rather than later. My lab was 3 years old when I started training/using her for tracking. She found several for me and always helped. I wouldn’t call her an expert tracker but she did pretty good. My lacy has found quite a few deer. I got her when she was 3. The person that had her before trained her, and I think she was over a year old when he got her. A lot of times she tracks deer that we know are dead or we already found. She is a good tracker. There have been times when she just hasn’t had it. But she did right by me this year!

Comment

my bloodhound just turned 1yo in November and shes an machine. I'm in Bulverde and dont mind helping anyone out. She'll turn up a blood trail 3,4,5 days old so DM me if you need help... it's absolutely amazing to see her work

I'm also looking for a stud to breed her with this coming December and need to start networking big time.

Chase
            Attached Files

Comment

I started working with her the day picked her up (8 weeks) She knows the difference between tracking blood and tracking deer. She wont chase deer

Comment

We have been thinning the numbers a little bit out at the house and the dogs have gotten a little work. Not as much as I want but got the pup on a live one and he did pretty good. Delta got the bb lined out and the pup was hot on her heels. Broke leg with just a few pieces of bone and some blood at the beginning jumper her at about 250 then had her bayed and pulled down after 300 yards or more. Still amazes me how fast these animals are on 3 legs!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_124925_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	24572793

Next one was a gut shot axis doe. Dropped them about 3 hours after the shot and they found her about 200 yards from the shot. She was still alive bedded up by some water but was in pretty bad shape. Didn't put up much of a fight. Sorry it's not the best pic but the pup is getting some much needed workClick image for larger version

Name:	20190124_182810_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	24572794

Comment

Just a few of our recoveries for this season. I did not get pictures of the rest of them
                  Attached Files

Comment

My first tracking dog

Lots of great info and pics on this thread. I’ve gotten through the first 7-8 pages. We just got our first family “big dog” as my wife says. I lost my last Lab in 2004 when moving to Dallas from MS. Been waiting patiently for the right time to get another and it’s finally time with kids at a good age and work not so crazy as it was.

We rescued him a month or so ago from a shelter and he’s been an incredible addition to our family so far. He’s a Labahoula (Lab/Catahoula mix) and has some qualities I really like. He was basically already crate trained and house broken and has such a cool calm demeanor like he thinks before he acts which isn’t normal for most 16-18 week old pups. He’s been very trainable and has an incredible nose like I haven’t seen before. I had and trained many Labs growing up and in college so naturally I wanted him to retrieve birds, but I also thought the Catahoula in him would make an awesome tracking dog. I’ve got a canvas dummy he likes that I put some scent on that came in a cheap Dove starter kit and the trails I’ve given him in the backyard he’s nailed easily. He brings the dummy back to hand as well from our retriever training. I’ve done them all at nite so he uses his nose only. I also just bought him the Dog Bone Game Recovery Kit so he can have a hide and some additional scent. I plan to get some beef blood sometime soon as well or blend up some liver like mentioned on this thread to get him on blood. This lil guy has some serious potential for an outstanding dog for both birds and tracking so I’m gonna keep at it and continue to learn from the experts on the tracking side here.

Look forward to reading more and sharing some videos of my own. Here are pics of “Camo”...our ~4 month old Labahoula.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good looking pup!

Congrats on all the recoveries guys

Comment

Good looking pup

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechshooter View Post
                          Just a few of our recoveries for this season. I did not get pictures of the rest of them

Thanks again Justin!!! Never would have recovered that buck without you and your dogs! First time I ever fished for a 10pt!

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
                            Thanks again Justin!!! Never would have recovered that buck without you and your dogs! First time I ever fished for a 10pt!

I appreciate the call! That hound I was just starting then really made a dog this season. Had one track that was 3.3 miles long, a recovery on a leg shot deer at the 16 hour mark, and a lot of other pretty impressive recoveries. He had one more that made him go swimming but he ended up baying it in a farm field

Comment

They were some team. Y’all were great to watch work.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
                                Does anyone know of a place that sells started/finished blood dogs?
                                I don't see much online like you would for duck dogs or hog dogs. I have trained many duck dogs and just got to watch my first blood dog in action the past week and I'm hooked. I love a good working dog. Thanks!
                                I know where a Finished Teckel/wire haired dachshund is for a great price. He is in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X