Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife wants to go to Hawaii, we've never been...help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a couples trip, Maui is good and not as touristy. You'll need to rent a car to get around though. Oahu is nice and Honolulu is a bit toursity BUT you can mix it up depending on how you like it. You can stay on North Shore and experience what Hawaii is about. Then you can head to Honolulu and walk around or shop.

Helped a friend book a trip to Maui last year for his 25th anniversary and he enjoyed it. One day I'll book a trip to Kuai, that's where I plan to propose to the future Mrs.

Comment

Don't stay on Oahu. Visit but don't stay there. Honolulu is a city. City stuff.
      Stay here http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/

Rent a car at the airport when you land in Hawaii.Stay at the Sheraton in Poupi then Go on an adventure and explore. Hang around where the locals do. Have fun!!!
      GO on these hikes...

Comment

We went to Oahu for my brother's wedding a couple years ago.

We stayed in Waimanalo, a few miles outside of Honolulu. We were just a couple blocks down from the house that was used in Magnum PI.

It was awesome. The locals were great, and it is a nice town. We went in to see Pearl Harbor and to hike Diamond Head.

Honolulu is just another dirty big city. I was not impressed.

Driving across the island was pretty darn cool, roads span valleys and go through mountains. The roads along the shore are slow going, but there is tons to stop and see and do along the way. We loved stopping in the smaller villages, and ate almost exclusively at small mom-n-pop restaurants.

Next time I go, I will stay closer ro the North Shore. I wanna learn to surf, and go watch the amazing riders on the Banzai Pipeline. I also want to get in a couple rounds of golf. Mrs wants to go hike to a waterfall, Twerpy is cool with whatever, as long as she gets to swim.

Comment

Going to look into some of these, thanks

Comment

Take a pocket full of cash, you'll need it.

Comment

If I went back I would go to Maui. Went to Waikiki and it was like houston on a pretty beach. We went for 10 days and we did have a blast doing all the old traditions and stuff but it was way to much city. Waikiki is also very expensive. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                Take a pocket full of cash, you'll need it.
                Yes! Expect at minimum $500 a day budget to enjoy stuff

Comment

If I ever go back I will skip the large resorts and go for a small rental. Just a place to shower and sleep, but close to a beach. There are so many activities that you will rarely be at your resort and the time there will not be worth the big money you spend on it.
                  That's just my opnion, but everyone has their own idea of vacation. Some like to stay at the resort the entire time. I wouldn't travel so far and to this palce for that.

Comment

if you go to oahu and need any ideas where to go and eat, stay, beaches pm me

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                      I would save some money and book and sandals resorts in Antigua, Jamaica, or some of the others. All inclusive packages for much better prices.

This!
                      Enjoyed Maui, but I would choose almost anywhere to spend a week in the Caribbean over Hawaii! Every bit as beautiful and relaxing, less expensive! The plus about Hawaii however, you don't have to put up with the badgering of someone trying to sell you something, staying conscious of the economic differences of the two.
                      You might look at St. Martin, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Aruba, St. Lucia. All beautiful and relaxing and less expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Yardero View Post
                        Ballpark price please
                        Left...arm..
                        It was very expensive. I can't remember the exact price but around $1,800 to $2,000 per person in airline and hotel. Couple hundred bucks a day in food and fun.

Comment

if you are going to Maui the Westin Maui Resort is a really nice place to stay but you need to go & drive the Road To Hana it is really fun to drive & it has some great scenery.The road is like 55 miles long has if I remember right 300& somrthing curves & 60 some odd 1 lane bridges on it takes like 3 hours to drive it one way
                          Last edited by cg1219; 06-10-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Become airsick and have notion sickness while saving for a pool.

Comment

She actually suggested not going on trip and getting a pool. Problem is that I would be the one to have to care for the pool as well as pay for it. Plus it would cost a lot more than a vacation trip.

Comment

IMO, Ohau is the best all around island. Lost of "different stuff" to do. Most of the other islands offer your typical resort to plant your hiney-bo down and that's about it. The North Shore of Ohau is awesome ! Great waves to check-out and an overall fantastic beach that is surrounded by people from all over the globe. I don't seem to get bored as much on Ohau compared to the ohter islands.

Comment

Working...
                                X