Strava cycling app for TBH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
    Anyone one know know if a bent rim can be straightened? Its left to right not egg shaped
    I've had two wrecks over the years that left a wheel looking like a potato chip. Had to replace it both times.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
      Rode with the group from Bicycle Inc. in Arlington this afternoon and they really pushed me, ok they kicked my butt !!!! Wouldn't have been so bad but the 73 year old and the 275 lb guy's beat me. LOL
      Don't sweat it Ronnie, I have been getting beat by older and heavier guys every ride it seems like. You get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
        Don't sweat it Ronnie, I have been getting beat by older and heavier guys every ride it seems like. You get used to it.
        Oh I know, the 73 year old said he had been racing for over 40 years and I've been riding for 4 months.

Comment

Anyone one know know if a bent rim can be straightened? Its left to right not egg shaped
          Just replace it, cheaper, better, and you will be more satisfied with the outcome.

I paid $50 bucks to have one tuned up and attempted to straighten, and at the end of the day, still had a wonker wheel that I never ride. Just buy a new one.

A complete Mavic Open Pro Wheel Set is $250 new, so may as well.

Comment

Fronts can usually be straightened to usable.
            Bent rear wheels are trash.
            The spokes on the driveline side are shortened due to making room for the cassette.
            Those over-tightened short spokes will fail every time, not when straightening the rim but when you put a load on it while riding.

You can get a new rim laced to your hub or get a new set of wheels.

One last thing, be very careful buying used wheels on Craigslist, for the reasons stated above.

Comment

There were some miles ridden yesterday. Good job everyone

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of! They are the WTB wheels so maybe I can order just a replacement for it

Comment

Thank you for the help everyone. Also what should I expect price wise for someone to lace that wheel assuming the spokes and hub are still good?

Comment

Thank you for the help everyone. Also what should I expect price wise for someone to lace that wheel assuming the spokes and hub are still good?
                    Are these mountain bike or road wheels, if they are mountain are they 26" or 29" i have some extra rims laying around that are from my racing days that i don't have built up and don't plan to build anytime soon. I'm in Kentucky now but if you pay shipping ill send them to you for free if they work for your application

Typically about 75-100 bucks for labor for a good quality builder. You want to make sure they check the spokes though as if your wheel is bent you most likely stressed the spokes and they should be replaced.

Quality spokes are not terribly expensive about a 1.00 a piece for DT swiss comps.
                    Last edited by centex85; 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Mountain bike. Geez this thing is getting expensive quick! Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by centex85 View Post
                        Are these mountain bike or road wheels, if they are mountain are they 26" or 29" i have some extra rims laying around that are from my racing days that i don't have built up and don't plan to build anytime soon. I'm in Kentucky now but if you pay shipping ill send them to you for free if they work for your application

Typically about 75-100 bucks for labor for a good quality builder. You want to make sure they check the spokes though as if your wheel is bent you most likely stressed the spokes and they should be replaced.

Quality spokes are not terribly expensive about a 1.00 a piece for DT swiss comps.
                        Great gesture...Nice of you to be willing to help him out.

Comment

There's no end to the rabbit hole called "upgrade-itis".

Comment

Ok next set of questions, are they 26" rims or 29" rims, disc brake or V brake and what spoke count.

I know lots of questions but there are tons of different "Standards" out there and want to make sure what i have would work for you. If it doesn't any decent shop should be able to get you a inexpensive rim that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                              There's no end to the rabbit hole called "upgrade-itis".
                              Very true, there is always the next best thing that everyone needs to have. One day i might pick a cheap hobby because bikes, hunting, and cars are not helping the bank account

Comment

29", disc and not a clue on spoke count. Let me see if I have a pic that will let me count

Comment

Working...
                                X