See less

Texas public lands under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to what Dena mentioned above, you can hunt pigs year round with any legal weapon (on most of these units), so technically hunter orange has to be worn year round. The Game Warden uses that on Hunters all the time.

Also, Warren is out of the office until Wednesday. I tried to call him yesterday.
    Last edited by TMiddleton; 04-29-2014, 03:56 AM.

Comment

The rules doesn't only say " designated campsite", it mentions "campsite" as well. Yes, this will have to be cleared up. This is straight out of the book:

• Individuals may not discharge a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows: (1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or (2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or
      damage as a result in such discharge.

Comment

Thank you to Dena for setting up the teleconference.
        Thank you to Froggy, Swamp Rabbit, & AJMag for taking the time to join the call.
        I believe there might have been another one or two, but we didn't make all of the introductions nor did we state who we were before we spoke.

Some good points made and some thoughts going forward.

I'll be writing my letters and waiting to hear from Dena on her phone calls.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          The question is do we want to go quietly into the night or make it so costly for them they'll refuse to tread upon us as hunters.

Threaten a Class Action Lawsuit to repeal and refund all monies generated by the Pittman–Robertson Act. Or at the very least include camping and bike riding gear into its taxable base line. Make the campers, hikers, and bikers pay their 11%. I'd be surprised if the funding to build the bike trails didn't didn't come from our tax dollars.

"The Pittman–Robertson Act took over a pre-existing 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition. Instead of going into the U.S. Treasury as it had done in the past, the money is kept separate and is given to the Secretary of the Interior to distribute to the States. The Secretary determines how much to give to each state based on a formula that takes into account both the area of the state and its number of licensed hunters.

These States must fulfill certain requirements to use the money apportioned to them. None of the money from their hunting license sales may be used by anyone other than the State’s fish and game department. Plans for what to do with the money must be submitted to and approved by the Secretary of the Interior.[6] Acceptable options include research, surveys, management of wildlife and/or habitat and acquisition or lease of land, among other things. Once a plan has been approved, the state must pay the full cost and is later reimbursed for up to 75% of that cost through P–R funds. The 25% of the cost that the State must pay generally comes from its hunting license sales. If, for whatever reason, any of the federal money does not get spent, after two years that money is then reallocated to the Migratory Bird Conservation Act."

Ur missing my point. And I do agree with you. But if hunters are in the minority and you bring up safety and push this they may rule in favor of the majority. I'm only playing devils advocate here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            Ur missing my point. And I do agree with you. But if hunters are in the minority and you bring up safety and push this they may rule in favor of the majority. I'm only playing devils advocate here.
            Hunters aren't the minority. They are the ones that have fallen silent while others have spoken up. Its time to speak up and be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
              Hunters aren't the minority. They are the ones that have fallen silent while others have spoken up. Its time to speak up and be heard.

I agree with you. But have you verified those numbers??? I'm not arguing just want y'all to be well armed.

Comment

LSBA I just joined

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  I agree with you. But have you verified those numbers??? I'm not arguing just want y'all to be well armed.
                  That was brought up during the call last night. There are ways to track this number (APH surveys, Doe permits issued, Doe permit applications, etc.)

And of course, as we all know, numbers aren't always the deciding factor. It is also what each group brings to the table and how the message is perceived. For instance, the bikers have organizations like GHORBA and TMBRA. The hikers have the Lone Star Chapter of the Sierra club and the LSHT club. We are just now really trying to get organized and I thought it was great that LSBA stepped in to offer assistance; doing one of the things they do best - influencing decision makers.

-Scott
                  Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                    LSBA I just joined
                    Good job Buck-Chaser! I just got my wife and myself joined back up!

Comment

I have been scanning this thread, I wonder if we should form a parent umbrella organization in Texas tha pulls ALL of the various hunting groups in the state into a single hunting advocate/ lobbying organization. That way we can have the support of all hunters regardless of discipline. Rifle, pistol, crossbow, bow is irrelevant when we are trying to protect hunting. We could try to work with these other groups to protect our access and theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGun View Post
                        I have been scanning this thread, I wonder if we should form a parent umbrella organization in Texas tha pulls ALL of the various hunting groups in the state into a single hunting advocate/ lobbying organization. That way we can have the support of all hunters regardless of discipline. Rifle, pistol, crossbow, bow is irrelevant when we are trying to protect hunting. We could try to work with these other groups to protect our access and theirs.
                        Smart man! SCI may take an interest as we are "First For Hunters!" Let me know if we can help. I am already a LSBA member and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          I wish the camping and trail-walkers coalitions had the same defeatist attitude.
                          wow.......that aint very helpful as I know that is not what he is saying.
                          Originally posted by Hot4huntin View Post
                          No time like the present. Let me make it easy for you! Join LSBA HERE

There will be a teleconference between the LSBA and bowhunters wishing to discuss this matter tonight at 9:00 P.M. If you are interested in participating, please PM me and I will send you the information to join in as soon as I receive it from our Treasurer.

A Citizen's Guide to the NEPA--Having Your Voice Heard It gives information onthe process and procedures for dealing with federal agencies.
                          Dena, sorry I missed the telecon as I had not be on TBH for a few days. Let me know if you need additional help with this process.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            Smart man! SCI may take an interest as we are "First For Hunters!" Let me know if we can help. I am already a LSBA member and always will be.
                            I'm very happy to have seen you express interest. I was waiting to see what others might say in response to his idea. With all the conservation and hunting organizations out there, there could be the possibility to match or exceed the type of pull the NRA has. What I see that we lack at the moment, is a group or unity in the public land hunters.

Comment

Sounds like a plan coming together.

Just a suggestion attending meetings as a group, dress business casual with hunter orange vest.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGun View Post
                                There are already some groups out there. In June, 2011, the Lone Star Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Texas and Texas Bowfishing Association formed the Texas Bowhunting and Bowfishing Association. We have worked on mostly bowfishing issues with TPWD.

Also, LSBA is a member of Texas Outdoor Partners. We may need to contact them about this issue.

Initially 30-35 Texas hunting, fishing and conservation organizations met in January and February of 2007, at the beginning of the Texas legislative session, to set up the loose structure and operating procedures for a coalition that was to be called the Texas Outdoor Partners (affectionately known as TOP). The general perception at the time amongst hunters and anglers was that the legislature was not fully appropriating sportsmen’s dollars from licenses, stamps and fees and directing towards conservation work. The groups rallied behind this concern to overcome their traditional separation and independence, and forged a process to work together effectively.

Following the model of the American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP), a national coalition of 40 of the major hunting organizations, TOP member organizations coalesce on overarching issues, working together and sharing information and ideas, but taking positions ONLY in the names of the individual member organizations - not TOP. In fact during meetings you are “fined” if you slip and call it an organization, since it is not. State organizations, state chapters, regional and local groups have joined the new partnership (see list to date). It remains a loose knit coalition that has successfully brought the combined sportsmen’s voice to the issues of funding for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, use of the Sporting Goods Sales Tax, water policy including environmental and instream flows, hunting and angling issues, land conservation and management practices, and animal cruelty legislation, and during this next Texas Legislative session beginning in January 2009 will be rallying around water issues, protection of hunting and angling, funding for expansion or sportsmen’s programs and access, and other critical battles.

After several failures over the last 25 years to pull together Texas groups in some sort of alliance, Kirby Brown of Texas Wildlife Association (TWA), a group that has long had an effective presence at the Texas Capitol, called friends and partners in many of the wildlife, freshwater, saltwater and conservation groups suggesting this new format as a way to share information, help organization and create informed positions, and increase advocacy on behalf of sportsmen and conservationists. Brown was elected as the first chairman, with Tim Cook of Texas BASS Federation Nation as vice-chair, and a steering committee was formed to collectively chart a course and direction.

“We are now up to 75 organizations from all over Texas, and more local and regional Texas sportsmen groups are expressing interest,” Brown said, “as well as local chapters. We are involving all of them, to expand our collective voice and bring attention to the issues from the grassroots level directly to our legislators and leaders. Only when the grassroots is effective with the many groups together and individually providing the cogent and critical information, will sportsmen really have an effective voice.”

The goal was to gather together diverse fish and wildlife organizations with a common interest in conserving and enhancing fish, wildlife and wildlife habitat, and in preserving angling, hunting and trapping, that are committed to identifying specific needs and working together toward fulfilling those needs. The unifying element is a shared commitment to build unity among partner organizations and increase collective effectiveness; develop a vision for fish and wildlife and their management; collectively address key issues; and, develop and pursue implementation of a set of recommendations for state and federal Administrations and the Legislatures.

The basic principles of TOP are to develop, in a loose federation, process/structure with objectives and agenda; build trust and respect among partner organizations; to be a potent force advocating conservation, management, fishing, hunting, trapping, and stewardship, and ensure positions are taken by partner organizations and not in the name of TOP. Member organizations agreed to focus on commonalities and principles, including habitat, fish and wildlife management of populations, fishing, hunting and trapping, scientific management of wildlife and habitat, the North American wildlife model, enhanced outdoor opportunities, and safeguarding the freedoms that enable these pursuits. The organizations will work together where they can agree; agree to disagree and respect differences, extol and recognize accomplishments of sister organizations, and coordinate efforts on specific issues – some groups would develop the issues, while some groups implement the strategy. In setting up the rules of engagement: each partner organization retains its organizational autonomy and does not share member lists or donor lists; common objectives are jointly identified, differences are respected, and no pressure is asserted to conform; and the chairman leads the effort, and holds people to the rules of engagement.

“Those of us who hunt, fish and trap or manage for fish and wildlife need to work together,” Brown noted. “We can only be successful if we spread the word about the incredible legacy of sportsmen as conservationists - who have always stepped up and have paid the way for fish and wildlife conservation and management in Texas. And it has to happen using informed sportsmen, receiving information from the organizations they join, reacting and contacting our state leaders with an effectively developed message on the issues.” Brown encouraged those interested in joining the partnership to go to the website at www.texasoutdoorpartners.org or email him at kbrown@texas-wildlife.org for more information.

wow.......that aint very helpful as I know that is not what he is saying.

Dena, sorry I missed the telecon as I had not be on TBH for a few days. Let me know if you need additional help with this process.
                                No problem. It came up pretty fast since we need to get letters and comments in soon.

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                                I'm very happy to have seen you express interest. I was waiting to see what others might say in response to his idea. With all the conservation and hunting organizations out there, there could be the possibility to match or exceed the type of pull the NRA has. What I see that we lack at the moment, is a group or unity in the public land hunters.
                                Bob Linder with NTWF is the President of TOP this year. I will try and post a list of all the organizations that are members later today. There are about 60-65 conservation/hunting/fishing groups involved.

Apparently, TOP's website is not working at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X