Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Should they pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post

Dumb question, but why can't the normal patrols enforcing traffic laws also enforce bicyle laws? If you are working an area and see a group of cyclist break a law, just pull them over and issue a citation. Couldn't this just be like speeding tickets or something. Obviously, you can't write a ticket for everyone that is speeding down a roadway, however, you can issue a citation here and there, which typically keeps the population somewhat in check. Same could be for bicyles. If word got out that a few citations have been issued to cyclist for breaking traffic laws, then perhaps more of them would be inclined to simply follow the laws.
    Not a dumb question.

Officers can and do enforce bicycle and pedestrian laws. Should pedestrians be taxed?

I said that I have seen auto theft task forces, traffic units, game wardens that deal directly with vehicle, boat, fishing and hunting licenses. In other words a lot of money is spent enforcing those issues. I have seen no bicycle task forces or units.

In my city officers cite bicycles and pedestrians and on occasions arrest them but doing so consumes about 0.00001% of our time.

Comment

I agree that something has to be done to reduce traffic congestion and accidents related to bicycles, but I don't think taxing cyclists is the answer. I doubt that it would reduce the number of bikes on the road. I'm sorry for what your family has gone through, op. Bikes can be nearly invisible in the setting sun. Prayers for you all.

Comment

It would cost tax dollars, but perhaps a push could be made for more bike trails on public lands. City parks, state lands, around lakes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
          I think her other vehicle is a white jeep.

HAHA!!! Good one!

Ike

Comment

I missed the "white jeep" thread, it must have been a good one..... Guessing it is long since deleted?

Comment

I dont believe they should pay, but i do believe they should only be allowed on certain streets. Something along the lines of a speed limit less than 35. But what really makes me mad is the crackheads on the weasel carts going down the street now,i guess since they dont work and are on welfare the government buys them handicap carts now.

Comment

So... My 10 year old starts paying taxes? After all... he rides his bike in the road through our neighborhood to go to his friends house.

How about those people who have to walk a foot or two down the road from their driveway to go to their mailbox because there is no sidewalk? Is there a length limit, lets say, "No more than 10 feet" that we have to impose for walking on the road before they are taxed?

And if we are going to start taxing those vehicles or modes of transportation (biking / walking), then we have to tax other things on the road that are currently exempt from the road tax when buying gasoline (although you have to get it in a refund) - Boats, Tractors, Mowers! Not many people know it, but you can get a tax refund on the gas / diesel used in those items because they aren't operated on the road. But what if I cross the road on my tractor to get from field to field? What about the fact that my boat TRAILER uses the road? What if I have to go into the road with my mower when turning around at the end of the row?

(for those that want that link for the gas tax refund... http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...rms/06-106.pdf )

See how ridiculous we can get... really quickly? I say let it go. We have enough taxes to worry about without adding them onto ourselves. If you vote for a road tax for bikes... others will follow. I can promise you that. Politicians don't need your help digging into our pockets. Please don't give them ideas!

All the best,
                Glenn
                Last edited by cajuntec; 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                  I dont believe they should pay, but i do believe they should only be allowed on certain streets. Something along the lines of a speed limit less than 35.
                  Or 25...

Comment

They already pay for their vehicles so I don't think they should have to pay for their bikes.

Not only are they putting their lives in danger they are putting drivers in danger. I see it all the time where a driver has to pass them quickly and then almost get in a head on collision. Not sure what the answer would be to make it safer for everybody. Maybe having flashing lights on all bicycles when they are the public roadway.

Comment

I can see where a lot of you are coming from. This was at the time a 55 MPH service road which is now a 60 MPH service road. If they can ride at 60 MPH then more power to them. I do not believe they belong on roads with these speed limits, especially with no shoulders. If they want to ride then find trail that allows them the freedom to ride the speeds they are able to without interference from traffic.

What damage do I cause to the roadway? Where is the reasoning for me to pay for licensing and registration? Yes its Government interference but whats the difference in someone riding a bike to work or driving a F150? They use the government funded road, they pay the registration to use it. Easy to understand right?

Comment

Originally posted by c14smalls View Post
                        I can see where a lot of you are coming from. This was at the time a 55 MPH service road which is now a 60 MPH service road. If they can ride at 60 MPH then more power to them. I do not believe they belong on roads with these speed limits, especially with no shoulders. If they want to ride then find trail that allows them the freedom to ride the speeds they are able to without interference from traffic.

What damage do I cause to the roadway? Where is the reasoning for me to pay for licensing and registration? Yes its Government interference but whats the difference in someone riding a bike to work or driving a F150? They use the government funded road, they pay the registration to use it. Easy to understand right?
                        I think the theory is that vehicles produce harmful emissions while bikes don't. Cars and trucks are also much heavier than bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                          So should I be taxed twice for having multiple vehicles or for my motorcycle? Flawed thinking on your part. Sorry.

Isn't that what sidewalks are for, running, not running on the road?
                          I walk for exercise and there are no sidewalks on our street, sure wish there was, but when a vehicle is coming I step up on the curb and walk. If I was like the bike riders that come through our neighborhood I would walk right down the center of the road and not move so cars have to stack up behind me.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY YES.

I'm not for more taxes...but this is not a taxation issue, this is a fairness issue.

I grew up in Oregon, where bicycling is much more popular than in Texas. There are bike lanes everywhere, in order to keep people off of the roadway. Why should only those who operate "vehicles" pay to construct and maintain bike lanes? Further, in many states, the gas tax is used to fund road improvements...another tax that bicyclists conveniently avoid.

Bike lanes will become more prevalent in Texas. It's time to make the taxation equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                              They already pay for their vehicles so I don't think they should have to pay for their bikes.

Not only are they putting their lives in danger they are putting drivers in danger. I see it all the time where a driver has to pass them quickly and then almost get in a head on collision. Not sure what the answer would be to make it safer for everybody. Maybe having flashing lights on all bicycles when they are the public roadway.
                              I think that might be a sensible law and especially if on roadways that are faster than neighborhoods and the typical 30mph speed limit. Bicycles are already required to have headlights if on public roadways after dark.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                                I walk for exercise and there are no sidewalks on our street, sure wish there was, but when a vehicle is coming I step up on the curb and walk. If I was like the bike riders that come through our neighborhood I would walk right down the center of the road and not move so cars have to stack up behind me.
                                Exactly... Most seem to think they own the road, or have the rights to them. That's what bugs me and has since the accident. I don't have a problem with bikers but most seem to think they have a right to the roadways as much as the registration/inspection paying person behind them. Not the case, in my opinion.

Edit... Also, I see this a lot on the city I live in now.

Comment

Working...
                                X