Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point in Late Antlerless and Spike season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas has the largest deer herd in the nation. The state's white-tailed deer population is estimated to be near 4 million. No other state has a deer population estimated at more than 2 million. Nationwide, the population is estimated to be 30-35 million.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by bowtech72 View Post
      we don't hunt it because the does are already breed so if you shoot a doe, you just killed 2-3 deer in one shot that comes out of your next seasons population. there is enough time in the regular season to shoot them. just my two cents.
      You have a point but the way I look at it, if you shoot a doe that isn't pregnant in early season is the same thing as killing 2 deer also because if she lived she would more than likely got pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
        I don't think lack of logic is better in one forum than another.
        I can't make people read the second line in my OP.
        Last edited by adam_p; 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
          For sure. But I find it hard to believe that there are more areas in Cooke County that need the extra does shot than there are areas that don't.
          Not sure what part of Cooke County you hunt but I know for a fact there are areas in Cooke County that have way to many doe because we own land there that is overrun with doe.

Comment

I can't make people the second line in my OP.
            You're not making people the first or third lines either ....

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
              X2 ....and during deer season.
              X3

Comment

I can't make people the second line in my OP.
                this post should be a big indicator as to why....

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  State gives some counties only 3 days to harvest does if you aren't on a MLD program...:thumbup:
                  Modern gun season that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Its implemented by counties. Low pops on one ranch doesn't mean low pops in the whole county.
                    If you are unhappy, contact your local TPW biologist. They are the ones who set up everything in each county.
                    It is also a good time to balance the herd on your property. By the end of the season, you should have a good count on the population and can thin as neccessary.

Comment

I think The state is trying to have it as a management too to some extent. I also think they are trying to appease some of the pro-muzzle loader folks who have lobbied for recognition with some sort of season. This also goes for the youth hunting advocates who have tried to extend the youth season in October.
                      I like it for this reason. It allows me 2 weeks in the field with my kids and they can shoot any legal buck or does. Not just spikes and does.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        You have a point but the way I look at it, if you shoot a doe that isn't pregnant in early season is the same thing as killing 2 deer also because if she lived she would more than likely got pregnant.
                        Yep, what's to say that the doe you shot in October wasn't the one who was going to carry your next monster? The odds of you killing the "golden goose doe" so to speak, are the same in October or January. Similarly, what's to say that the pregnant doe you shot in January wasn't carrying an inferior buck

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                          If you are unhappy, contact your local TPW biologist. They are the ones who set up everything in each county.
                          It is also a good time to balance the herd on your property. By the end of the season, you should have a good count on the population and can thin as neccessary.
                          Best I can tell we have 8 does, 9 bucks, 1 doe fawn and 1 buck fawn in about a 500 acre block. Im sure there are a few more that move in and around my area but these are the ones I know about from cameras and a ton of time in the stand.

Comment

Best I can tell we have 8 does, 9 bucks, 1 doe fawn and 1 buck fawn in about a 500 acre block. Im sure there are a few more that move in and around my area but these are the ones I know about from cameras and a ton of time in the stand.
                            So, your 500 acres should determine the management plan for a county that contains some 560,000 acres ?!?!

Comment

If these numbers are try then your goal should be to grow your heard, so you should not shoot does.

As you said there are probably more deer than that. I have game cams all over our 100 acres and three bucks that were killed this year never showed up on the cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
                                So, your 500 acres should determine the management plan for a county that contains some 560,000 acres ?!?!
                                Not only that but individual heard management on a piece of property that small is impossible.

Comment

Working...
                                X