No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invited a friend of mine to hunt on my cousins lease. He had hunted with us a few times and we even let him have one of the better stands because he was scared of heights. Close to last shooting light we heard a shot and not long afterwards my cousin picks me up in the buggy and we head back out. My friend is stoked that he just shot a big mature 8 point that had skirted the right side of his blind and then came out in a lane. We got down to the deer and it's a super young 6 point. His explanation was the 6 point must have ran out in front of his bullet because he knows for certain he was lined up on that big 8. We still joke how that must be the fastest deer alive since it wasn't even in the lane before he pulled the trigger.

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

Well this thread basically just whacked my entire day...too much good stuff to stop reading!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got another one from last night.
        Last year my brother in law let a buddy come out to shoot a doe. He shot two nubbins instead. Rule is, your guest your problem so brother in law couldn’t hunt at all anymore last season. Last night was his first hunt this year. Busted a doe and a nubbin. I sure do love that guy. Glad my sister married him he’s the cream of the crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
          I know the owner of the YO, well actually they sold it so I know the old owner. I don't have anything nice to say about him so I'll keep my mouth shut.

I was on a hunt at Camp Cooley Ranch out of Franklin, TX a few years back. There was a man and his son out there hunting the 1000 acre high fence section for Sika. That section was in the middle of the 10,000 acre ranch. We were there for hogs and does on the low fence part.

The guide shows up to pick them up and the kid (around 20yo) said he shot 2 sika. The guide walks out the blood trail to the animal and it is a 6x6 elk bull. He asks the kid "did the other one look like this?" "yeah looked just like it" Sure enough he had shot another 6x6 elk. The price total on those were $15,000. A lot north of the sika prices. The dad signed over the title to his pickup to the ranch right there and called his wife to come pick him and his son up.
          Ouch!

Comment

Ttt for more stories.

Comment

Time to share the stories from this past hunting season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                Time to share the stories from this past hunting season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                Yesssss

Always get excited when I see this thread bumped!

Unfortunately nothing to contribute on my end this season.

Comment

Any stores from this year ready to be shared?

Comment

Well....this was a few years ago...but just found this thread.
                    I began managing a property several years ago for a good friend. When it started I was basically a laborer and was allowed to kill does only on the place. It has grown to me buying part of the ranch and I write the management plan and do quite a bit of habitat management each yet. After several years of killing does, I asked for permission to bring my father along as I was starting to feel a bit of sympathy for the does.

My dad began helping me and we hunted for 5 years with him shooting 5-6 a year. He seemed very careful and passed on "iffy" shots. Everything worked very well. About two or three years ago it all changed...

I had a spike buck on the place that had some sort of issue with his scrotum. The little buck had a sack that looked like it belonged to an 1800 pound bull. I gave him the green light if he saw the buck to shoot him. I showed him a picture of the buck as well as his backside so you could see the problem. I made it very clear that the target buck had testes that looked like potatoes and he had a distinct walk.

Anyway dad comes out and start hunting. I was about three hundred yards away in another stand when I heard him shoot. He texted me and said the buck was down. I get over to him and the deer was just a normal spike. Very obviously not the target deer.

I was upset and made it very clear that this was not the deer and I was pretty sure he knew it. A week later we are out hunting I hear him shoot twice. I get over there and he says he shot a doe. The deer ran off and was down in some tall grass. I locate the deer and it's a nubbin buck. I asked him about the second shot and he denied it. I told him that I heard the second shot and wanted to know what he shot at. He denied it again. I drive the truck down to load the nubbin buck up and when I turned around I saw something white. I got out of the truck and walk down there and there is a dead doe fawn. He proceeds to tell me how the bullet magically deflected and hit two deer one hundred yards apart right behind the shoulder. I was ******* for being lied to but loaded the deer up and helped him clean them. We had a long discussion about expectations and I pointed out the fact that he had never shot a nubbin or a non-target buck in 5 years and asked what changed. No answer. I explained that the next non-target deer would cost him 250.00. Two days later I show up at the skinning rack and he hands me a hundred bucks and walks away. He killed another buck fawn. I told him he was done hunting out there for a while. I spoke to the landowner about this and he was suprisingly undersranding. He left it in my hands to handle. Dad has been allowed to return but it was made very clear that if it happened again he wouldn't be allowed to return. I believe some of this was a mistake and some of it was he just got too comfortable as a guest. I just can't understand how he could shoot 4 non-target deer in one year after going 5 years with no mistakes. He hasn't shot a non-target deer since. I am hoping he continues to do the right thing.

Comment

^^^^^^That's a tough one. I cant imagine having to discipline the ol man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        Well....this was a few years ago...but just found this thread.
                        I began managing a property several years ago for a good friend. When it started I was basically a laborer and was allowed to kill does only on the place. It has grown to me buying part of the ranch and I write the management plan and do quite a bit of habitat management each yet. After several years of killing does, I asked for permission to bring my father along as I was starting to feel a bit of sympathy for the does.

My dad began helping me and we hunted for 5 years with him shooting 5-6 a year. He seemed very careful and passed on "iffy" shots. Everything worked very well. About two or three years ago it all changed...

I had a spike buck on the place that had some sort of issue with his scrotum. The little buck had a sack that looked like it belonged to an 1800 pound bull. I gave him the green light if he saw the buck to shoot him. I showed him a picture of the buck as well as his backside so you could see the problem. I made it very clear that the target buck had testes that looked like potatoes and he had a distinct walk.

Anyway dad comes out and start hunting. I was about three hundred yards away in another stand when I heard him shoot. He texted me and said the buck was down. I get over to him and the deer was just a normal spike. Very obviously not the target deer.

I was upset and made it very clear that this was not the deer and I was pretty sure he knew it. A week later we are out hunting I hear him shoot twice. I get over there and he says he shot a doe. The deer ran off and was down in some tall grass. I locate the deer and it's a nubbin buck. I asked him about the second shot and he denied it. I told him that I heard the second shot and wanted to know what he shot at. He denied it again. I drive the truck down to load the nubbin buck up and when I turned around I saw something white. I got out of the truck and walk down there and there is a dead doe fawn. He proceeds to tell me how the bullet magically deflected and hit two deer one hundred yards apart right behind the shoulder. I was ******* for being lied to but loaded the deer up and helped him clean them. We had a long discussion about expectations and I pointed out the fact that he had never shot a nubbin or a non-target buck in 5 years and asked what changed. No answer. I explained that the next non-target deer would cost him 250.00. Two days later I show up at the skinning rack and he hands me a hundred bucks and walks away. He killed another buck fawn. I told him he was done hunting out there for a while. I spoke to the landowner about this and he was suprisingly undersranding. He left it in my hands to handle. Dad has been allowed to return but it was made very clear that if it happened again he wouldn't be allowed to return. I believe some of this was a mistake and some of it was he just got too comfortable as a guest. I just can't understand how he could shoot 4 non-target deer in one year after going 5 years with no mistakes. He hasn't shot a non-target deer since. I am hoping he continues to do the right thing.
                        Has the old man been to the eye doctor lately?

Comment

the picture says it all but i cant find it. had a buddy that got invited on one of those hunts were you are looking at 10+ monster bucks with name tags. was allowed to shoot a 150 and had to pay for anything over. ended up shooting a 180 by 'accident' and ended up with a $15,000 bill. Ive never seen someone so unpleased posing with a 180" haus

Comment

I manage our lease we only have four I members but have very liberal guest/family rules. The 4 of us are coworkers and close friends. One of the guys brought an older nephew and the nephew’s young son for his first deer. They arrived in camp to late to make the evening hunt and hung out with us around the campfire. This guy spent the evening trying to impress us all with his knowledge, making backhanded comments and questioning our management plan. The next morning I was going to tell the member he would have to hunt with them as I didn’t trust them he responded there not hunting. I told him he was arrogant and embarrassed me and told him he had to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                              the picture says it all but i cant find it. had a buddy that got invited on one of those hunts were you are looking at 10+ monster bucks with name tags. was allowed to shoot a 150 and had to pay for anything over. ended up shooting a 180 by 'accident' and ended up with a $15,000 bill. Ive never seen someone so unpleased posing with a 180" haus
                              Dang, that is $500 an inch over 150". For that kind of $ you would think they would have someone telling you what you could shoot. I see how that would ruin a guy's day

Comment

Best Rule; Guest must hunt with Member or Owner....

Comment

Working...
                                X