No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back about 20 years ago I went with my future FIL to his property in Leon Co. It was during hunting season and he was leasing it out to some guys from Dallas. Well we were sitting around the fire one night sharing stories and drinking whiskey when all of a sudden we here a shot back behind the hunters cabin. One of the guys was taking a leak when he saw what he thought was a coyote, so he grabbed his rifle shot it. It turned out to be his German Shepard that he thought was sleeping by the fire. He caught so much **** over not knowing the difference between a coyote and his German Shepard that he left the lease for good.

Comment

Another story... About 30 years ago, my dad and I took one of our neighbors out to hunt on our property in Austin Co. We heard our neighbor shoot so we think he must have shot something. When we go to pick him up from his stand he said that he didn't shoot and didn't even hear a shot fired. This was about the time that I noticed a hole in the top corner of the deer stand. He finally fessed up and said he pulled the trigger to check if the gun was loaded. That deer stand is still standing today and the hole is still in the roof. It still makes me shake my head and laugh when ever I look up and see it.

Comment

Originally posted by apolloreed View Post
        Back about 20 years ago I went with my future FIL to his property in Leon Co. It was during hunting season and he was leasing it out to some guys from Dallas. Well we were sitting around the fire one night sharing stories and drinking whiskey when all of a sudden we here a shot back behind the hunters cabin. One of the guys was taking a leak when he saw what he thought was a coyote, so he grabbed his rifle shot it. It turned out to be his German Shepard that he thought was sleeping by the fire. He caught so much **** over not knowing the difference between a coyote and his German Shepard that he left the lease for good.
        That's horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
          I was guiding on a high fence place some years ago, a pretty high end operation with bucks that cost over $20,000 depending on score. Well, we had some guys from Alabama coming to hunt with us, and they told us upon arrival what size deer they were wanting to shoot. Keep in mind that none of these guys had seen a deer in the wild bigger than 130. This particular ranch had a big price increase from 140-150, 150-160, 160-170, and so on. So a 169 inch deer could be quite a bit cheaper than a 170 for example. Well, my guy I was guiding was an older gentleman, and smoked more weed than Willy Nelson. He smoked in the morning, at lunch, on the stand in the evening, he was having a good time.

Well, throughout our conversations and getting to know each other while sitting in the stands together, he told me he really couldn't afford anything over the 150 price bracket. Well just as luck would have it, we never saw a mature shooter in the 150 range, everything was either really close to 160, or well over 160. After about 3-4 hunts, he finally said "you know what, I can't pass another nice buck, and if he is over 159, I'll just have to pay the difference, but it will stretch my budget"

So, fast forward to an evening hunt. I took him to a stand where a known mid to upper 150's was hanging out. But there was also a REALLY nice typical 12pt hanging out at the same stand, and all the guides and the ranch owner all thought he was 168-175 depending on just a few different measurements (a 1/2 inch off on each tine on a typical 12 pt adds up in a hurry). It was big enough we couldn't take a chance on the 12 and bump him into the next highest pay bracket.

So we are sitting there, and wouldn't you know it, but the 12pt comes strolling into the feeder. We watch him for 10-15 minutes eating corn, he's pumped up, biggest deer he has ever seen, man I wish I could afford it, on and on. I told him several times he was probably 168-174 and that would put him in the 170 bracket which he said he couldn't pay.

15 mins or so go by, and here comes the slick 10 with a kicker we were after, the mid 150 deer. He literally walks within 40 yards of the stand, towards the feeder, with both of us looking at him. I tell him "that's your buck" and to get ready. My eyes never leave my binoculars the whole time because I am watching the buck waiting for a shot. And waiting, and waiting.....I have already counted about 6 times I would have shot this buck broadside, but still no shot.

Finally, a shot rings out and the buck just stands there. I say "reboot and shoot him again, you missed!" He said "no I didn't". I say "yes you did, he is still standing, shoot!" That's when he says calmly, "I don't miss, I can see him laying there."

That's when my heart sank as I looked up from the binos, and there is a buck laying underneath the feeder. I said "you shot the 12pt, that's the wrong buck". He said "that's the only one i saw". Lmao!!!

I called the ranch manager and told him we had a situation haha, we might have shot the wrong one. The ranch manager was cool about it, and since the old man was funny as heck and a super nice guy, the buck magically taped out at 169 5/8 hahaha. I learned my lesson that day though, make sure you know where you hunter is looking.
          I ALMOST had a situation like that happen to me on a guided trip on the Briscoe Ranch a few years ago. At first the guide never even saw the buck I was about to shoot but fortunately he realized my gun barrel was not pointed in the direction of the deer he wanted me to shoot and was able to get me on the correct buck. That turned out well because the I ended up killing the right buck and he was considerably older and had a much larger rack than the one I thought he was initially pointing to.

I've killed a lot of deer I probably shouldn't have, but when you're a young kid hunting in a target rich environment like Real County it's easy to get caught up killing everything with horns.

Comment

I was guiding on a high fence place some years ago, a pretty high end operation with bucks that cost over $20,000 depending on score. Well, we had some guys from Alabama coming to hunt with us, and they told us upon arrival what size deer they were wanting to shoot. Keep in mind that none of these guys had seen a deer in the wild bigger than 130. This particular ranch had a big price increase from 140-150, 150-160, 160-170, and so on. So a 169 inch deer could be quite a bit cheaper than a 170 for example. Well, my guy I was guiding was an older gentleman, and smoked more weed than Willy Nelson. He smoked in the morning, at lunch, on the stand in the evening, he was having a good time.

Well, throughout our conversations and getting to know each other while sitting in the stands together, he told me he really couldn't afford anything over the 150 price bracket. Well just as luck would have it, we never saw a mature shooter in the 150 range, everything was either really close to 160, or well over 160. After about 3-4 hunts, he finally said "you know what, I can't pass another nice buck, and if he is over 159, I'll just have to pay the difference, but it will stretch my budget"

So, fast forward to an evening hunt. I took him to a stand where a known mid to upper 150's was hanging out. But there was also a REALLY nice typical 12pt hanging out at the same stand, and all the guides and the ranch owner all thought he was 168-175 depending on just a few different measurements (a 1/2 inch off on each tine on a typical 12 pt adds up in a hurry). It was big enough we couldn't take a chance on the 12 and bump him into the next highest pay bracket.

So we are sitting there, and wouldn't you know it, but the 12pt comes strolling into the feeder. We watch him for 10-15 minutes eating corn, he's pumped up, biggest deer he has ever seen, man I wish I could afford it, on and on. I told him several times he was probably 168-174 and that would put him in the 170 bracket which he said he couldn't pay.

15 mins or so go by, and here comes the slick 10 with a kicker we were after, the mid 150 deer. He literally walks within 40 yards of the stand, towards the feeder, with both of us looking at him. I tell him "that's your buck" and to get ready. My eyes never leave my binoculars the whole time because I am watching the buck waiting for a shot. And waiting, and waiting.....I have already counted about 6 times I would have shot this buck broadside, but still no shot.

Finally, a shot rings out and the buck just stands there. I say "reboot and shoot him again, you missed!" He said "no I didn't". I say "yes you did, he is still standing, shoot!" That's when he says calmly, "I don't miss, I can see him laying there."

That's when my heart sank as I looked up from the binos, and there is a buck laying underneath the feeder. I said "you shot the 12pt, that's the wrong buck". He said "that's the only one i saw". Lmao!!!

I called the ranch manager and told him we had a situation haha, we might have shot the wrong one. The ranch manager was cool about it, and since the old man was funny as heck and a super nice guy, the buck magically taped out at 169 5/8 hahaha. I learned my lesson that day though, make sure you know where you hunter is looking.
            What a story!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
              What a story!!!!
              I was really worried for a while that we were going to have to confiscate this guy's truck as payment lol.

Comment

I guided for 7 years on a 2500 acre HF ranch and can't list all the stupid things people ( PRIMARILY male hunters! ) did when a big buck walked into view. I physically had to cover the objective scope lens to prevent one customer from shooting at a young buck. With me telling him "No, no, no you can't shoot him" and him saying "I will apologize to the owner later"!!!

After the first mornings hunt most of them would relax because seeing 20+ bucks each time was normal. Getting them thru the first morning was always a hassle though. I always preferred guiding female hunters. They enjoyed the experience and the animal. All to often the men would like their buck until Jim Bob came in with a larger one. I prefer guiding kids or women when possible.

Comment

I was really worried for a while that we were going to have to confiscate this guy's truck as payment lol.
                  Lol. Any idea what the buck ACTUALLY taped out at?

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    Lol. Any idea what the buck ACTUALLY taped out at?
                    Haha, no, I never scored him myself, but that was one of the biggest bucks I have ever held. I never asked the owner if he scored him for real, I thought it best not to pry too much because all of the experienced guides standing there looking at the buck knew it was 170+

Comment

Bump

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

There have to be new ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by JHarrell89; 05-24-2016, 09:24 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I just got off of night shift and read this whole thread over the course of my 12 hours shift haha man there are some real doozys! It's hard to believe some people can be so dang straight up disrespectful especially when they are being allowed to hunt as a guest. I could never bring my self to do something like that. But they do make for some good reading material haha

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

The worst that I've seen was on a vender hunt a few years ago in October. I was dove hunting, but one guy had come in from Wyoming to kill a "management" buck with a bow. This was on one of the Tecomate ranches. The guy was hunting with a guide and was supposed to take a mature 8 point or less that scored 130 or less. On the third morning, they come rolling in with antlers sticking out of the UTV and big smiles all around. I took one look at the deer, which had a 23+ inch spread and asked the guide what he thought the deer would score. He said about 127. I told him that he needed to go get some glasses, because that deer will score well above 145. He just scoffed at me. Well, Gary Schwartz put the tape to it, and it went above 150. All smiles had vanished, and the hunter was looking kind of pale, as he had paid $3500, but Schwartz put the value at $7500. My understanding is that they split the difference, and that kid (guide) was persona non grata thereafter.

Comment

Not a critial mistake but..
                              Last weekend of deer season i take my grandpa and a friend (25 yrs old) with me up to our place. Me and grandpa were hunting for our trophy bucks and the friend sat on his stand hunting for meat (does, Spikes, 3s). the last morning (Sunday) i hunted our tall stand and put my friend on my grandpas stand because deer come out more often there and my grandpa doesnt hunt morning because of age now. Well about 930 am i had a few bucks out and i hear a shot from the direction of grandpas stand. My friend had said he shot a spike but clearly missed. about 30 min later im about finished with the hunt and i hear another shot. Called my friend and he said he has a doe down and was great so i pulled the truck around to his side where he shot at.
                              I walk to the rightofway and i see he has a deer tagged and i congratulated him on his doe. He laughed and said this is the spike, i still have to go get the doe.
                              he was allowed the deer so we werent mad.
                              So ended up being 2 deer down on a SUNDAY mornign when were usually ready to go. Camp rules are, if you shoot on sunday, you buy food on the way home on sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
                                Bump
                                Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post
                                Not a critial mistake but..
                                Last weekend of deer season i take my grandpa and a friend (25 yrs old) with me up to our place. Me and grandpa were hunting for our trophy bucks and the friend sat on his stand hunting for meat (does, Spikes, 3s). the last morning (Sunday) i hunted our tall stand and put my friend on my grandpas stand because deer come out more often there and my grandpa doesnt hunt morning because of age now. Well about 930 am i had a few bucks out and i hear a shot from the direction of grandpas stand. My friend had said he shot a spike but clearly missed. about 30 min later im about finished with the hunt and i hear another shot. Called my friend and he said he has a doe down and was great so i pulled the truck around to his side where he shot at.
                                I walk to the rightofway and i see he has a deer tagged and i congratulated him on his doe. He laughed and said this is the spike, i still have to go get the doe.
                                he was allowed the deer so we werent mad.
                                So ended up being 2 deer down on a SUNDAY mornign when were usually ready to go. Camp rules are, if you shoot on sunday, you buy food on the way home on sunday.
                                Hell I would be in trouble with you! Seems I always end up killing the deer I want on a Sunday when it's most inconvenient.

Not sure why or how I quoted the "bump" post?

Comment

Working...
                                X