Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
    one of many reasons why you see the "no guest" rule on leases. I've never understood the whole guest thing..... Seems like the guest needs to pay for a spot.
    *not talking about spouse and children

Comment

Originally posted by JHarrell89 View Post
      Good story! ^

Way to bring in positivity!
      It was really surprising when he told me to take him. Not many people have ever hunted off his place much less for a buck. I have to say, it was a special day in my hunting career.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
        It was really surprising when he told me to take him. Not many people have ever hunted off his place much less for a buck. I have to say, it was a special day in my hunting career.

That's a W for you. I'm definitely a more conscientious hunter because of this site than what I used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
          One of many reasons why you see the "no guest" rule on leases. I've never understood the whole guest thing..... Seems like the guest needs to pay for a spot.
          *not talking about spouse and children
          I wouldn't have a problem with a lease that allowed guests, as long as the guests are shooting off of the paid member's quota.
          But I feel all guests should be accompanied by the paid member, including spouse and children.
          If you're not a paid member, you have no business hunting by yourself on the place.

Comment

Great thread!

This story is more of a "guide" mistake that happened on a hunt my dad got for my grandpa a few years back. A guy had posted on a website classifieds a Management deer hunt on a property in South Texas for a deer up to 140". Evidently the owners had decided to sell some hunts off the place, as they had just got it and wanted to bring in some deer.. Price was very fair, and the ranch was close enough to my dad's deer lease that they could stay there, and drive out each morning/evening. Well, after 3 hunts of not seeing anything, the "guide" finally agreed to let my dad sit in a stand by himself(3 deep isn't that fun), and the guide and my grandpa would sit. Well as the afternoon wore on, and time running thin my dad texted the guide saying to let him shoot a buck if it were even a hair over 140, and he would take care of him. Well not too logn before dark, my dad hears a shot, and immediately gets a call from the guide saying he had shot one, and it looked pretty good. The guide picks my dad up, and takes him over to be apart of the recovery, and moment when my grandpa saw his deer. The "guide" mentioned he might be a little over 140.. Well when they walked up, it was a "oh s%*T" moment for the guide, as there is an absolute giant laying on the ground. The guide freaked out a bit(upset with himself) and told my dad they were going to get the truck and head straigh out of the gate once they loaded it. He had already paid, met the landowners, etc.. Lol. Well my dad gave the guy a nice "tip" and they mosied out the gate, and were asked not to post any pics for a while. Deer scored 185 & some change, and was all my grandpa talked about for the rest of his life until he passed away last year. The deer is in my dads office now, and is one heck of a "management buck"!

Comment

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
              Great thread!

This story is more of a "guide" mistake that happened on a hunt my dad got for my grandpa a few years back. A guy had posted on a website classifieds a Management deer hunt on a property in South Texas for a deer up to 140". Evidently the owners had decided to sell some hunts off the place, as they had just got it and wanted to bring in some deer.. Price was very fair, and the ranch was close enough to my dad's deer lease that they could stay there, and drive out each morning/evening. Well, after 3 hunts of not seeing anything, the "guide" finally agreed to let my dad sit in a stand by himself(3 deep isn't that fun), and the guide and my grandpa would sit. Well as the afternoon wore on, and time running thin my dad texted the guide saying to let him shoot a buck if it were even a hair over 140, and he would take care of him. Well not too logn before dark, my dad hears a shot, and immediately gets a call from the guide saying he had shot one, and it looked pretty good. The guide picks my dad up, and takes him over to be apart of the recovery, and moment when my grandpa saw his deer. The "guide" mentioned he might be a little over 140.. Well when they walked up, it was a "oh s%*T" moment for the guide, as there is an absolute giant laying on the ground. The guide freaked out a bit(upset with himself) and told my dad they were going to get the truck and head straigh out of the gate once they loaded it. He had already paid, met the landowners, etc.. Lol. Well my dad gave the guy a nice "tip" and they mosied out the gate, and were asked not to post any pics for a while. Deer scored 185 & some change, and was all my grandpa talked about for the rest of his life until he passed away last year. The deer is in my dads office now, and is one heck of a "management buck"!
              Wow. That's awesome and horrible at the same time. Glad your gramp's got him a darn good one.

Comment

I took a Physician friend at work that was new to bowhunting, but has been to Africa and all over with a rifle.
                He was on doe patrol because I was only allowed 1 buck on this place in Charlotte.
                We bordered 1000ac where people day leased accross a creek and one of the day leasers reported to his guide that he saw someone on the other side pull a deer in the creek bottom, then take the meat and leave the carcass.
                Well that guide was also our lease master, so he asked who did this on our side, we all denied any dealings with it. They went and looked and found a well cleaned nubbin buck.
                Well my friend said he got called by his wife and had to go home before this all got sorted out. I vouched for him stating I would give my left nuckle that he would not do it, there must have been a poacher.
                Well a week later the guilt got to him and he called about his mistake, that he thought it was a doe and didnt want to waste the meat. So this physician de-boned it right there and packed the meat in his backpak and cleaned up in the creek.
                The thing is, we all make mistakes, and I would have congratulated him on the good shot and his first bow kill and would have chalked that up as my one buck for the year without a second thought.

Comment

Lmao... That is awesome. I missed one by 17'' as guide one time too on a ranch that charged 100.00 an inch... Oppsie!! Land owner bought me some Zeiss for Christmas.. LOL

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
                  Great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post
                    My father used to run a property in Falfurrias for his company before he passed. He had two of the largest Steel MFG Sales reps out for a hunt. We had some really nice deer and had really given them the green light on any mature deer they wanted to take. My dad took one of the guys and I took the other. He was from PA and was very adamant on his hunting abilities. Really an *** and very arrogant. So we come to the first gate and he gets out of the truck with gun in hand and I thought he was opening the gate. Next thing I know he is shooting at a 6 point buck standing in the brush line. Buck drops in his tracks and the guy yells out " How's that you **** redneck". Kinda got a little ****** but what he did not know is we had to pass through another persons land to get to our property and the land owner called the game warden and he was sighted for unlawfully taking a deer without permission. Felt bad for about a minute, but I can still remember him yelling after the shot!
                    HOW'S THAT YOU **** REDNECK!
                    WINNER! WINNER! I love it when Karma works.

Comment

Several years ago when the ranch that I work on in the summer was purchased it had tons of super exotics and just about everything under the sun. the owner didn't care too much for all these animals on his land so he darted/trapped and sold them all except the basics: axis, fallow, blackbuck, and a few sika. During all of this, 2 large red stag never managed to get caught so the landowner just decided to leave them and let them live out their lives on the ranch. So after a few years a friend of the owners was coming out to shoot a good fallow buck with another friend of the owners guiding him. Not sure how, but somehow the guide managed to mistake a large red stag for a fallow deer and told the hunter to shoot him. Needless to say, the owner was pleased with neither of them.
                      Just a few years ago on the same ranch, some hunters came out and were instructed to shoot a whitetail cull buck. They had strict instructions to shoot a 3,5, or 7 point. The ranch foreman drops them off and gets a call a few hours later that they shot a good cull buck. When he pulls up he sees a large frame on the ground and begins to get worried. After walking up to the deer he sees it is a good 4 year old 11 point. When he ask why they shot it, they said because it had an odd number of points so therefore it was a cull buck. The deer ended up going in the 140's and they had to break out a checkbook.

Comment

I think we all have a few of these stories!
                        Was hunting with some people a few years ago, one of which was a piece of work. would shoot at a deer and if it did not drop in his tracks he would assume he missed and not even look for it. Found 2 doe in the brush around where he was hunting a week later, this is also the guy who left a ranch gate open and the Landlord's cows got out.
                        My best friends Husband is a supposed hunter. A few years ago he was asleep in a tree stand and woke with a start to see something in the trees ahead of him, it was getting late and he could just barely see the shape, so he shot. Turned out to be a Hereford cow. He also brags about shooting a doe early one morning then doubling up later that hunt, he shot another doe with a second doe directly behind her, got both of them with one shot. Mind you he is in a 2 doe county and knows it. The guy was ****** that the land owner would not put his tag on the third doe.
                        my friend keeps trying to get me to take her husband hunting with me. Not on your life. I don't want to get shot going to pick him up, and the lease we are at now, I don't have the kind of money to pay for an oops...
                        People continue to surprise me on their stupidity and lack of respect. I know it shouldn't but it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
                          I think we all have a few of these stories!
                          Was hunting with some people a few years ago, one of which was a piece of work. would shoot at a deer and if it did not drop in his tracks he would assume he missed and not even look for it. Found 2 doe in the brush around where he was hunting a week later, this is also the guy who left a ranch gate open and the Landlord's cows got out.
                          My best friends Husband is a supposed hunter. A few years ago he was asleep in a tree stand and woke with a start to see something in the trees ahead of him, it was getting late and he could just barely see the shape, so he shot. Turned out to be a Hereford cow. He also brags about shooting a doe early one morning then doubling up later that hunt, he shot another doe with a second doe directly behind her, got both of them with one shot. Mind you he is in a 2 doe county and knows it. The guy was ****** that the land owner would not put his tag on the third doe.
                          my friend keeps trying to get me to take her husband hunting with me. Not on your life. I don't want to get shot going to pick him up, and the lease we are at now, I don't have the kind of money to pay for an oops...
                          People continue to surprise me on their stupidity and lack of respect. I know it shouldn't but it does.
                          The absolute truth

Comment

There's an old story about a city slicker that shot a horse. After arguing with the cowboy over whether is was a deer or not the cowboy finally asked him if he could at least take his saddle off of it.

Comment

Bump for some more guest mistake stories. Love this thread.

Comment

Had to have been some new ones this season

Comment

Working...
                                X