Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tattoo etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horitexan: Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!! I definitely plan on poking around in some shops around town to look at portfolios and maybe learn a bit. I won't skimp on price for sure, that's one thing everyone stresses. Thanks for the good info, and I'll post pics when I get it, though it might be awhile!

Comment

This is the first I've ever heard of tipping the tattoo artist but not real suprised because everyone seems to want a tip these days.. Learn something new everyday

Comment

I've tipped tattoo artists since 1995. It's the proper thing to do, don't be cheap

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          This is the first I've ever heard of tipping the tattoo artist but not real suprised because everyone seems to want a tip these days.. Learn something new everyday
          Artists rent their booths the same as barbers and hair stylists. Why would you think tipping for a permanent tattoo is taboo if people typically tip for a weekly haircut?

Comment

Originally posted by ZackM View Post
            Artists rent their booths the same as barbers and hair stylists. Why would you think tipping for a permanent tattoo is taboo if people typically tip for a weekly haircut?
            If you expect a certain amount charge enough to get it.. If you're good no problem right? Servers who make $3/hr I understand but not someone already making over $20/hr and usually much more. Really I just dislike the whole tipping practice but will do it when needed. I really never knew tattoo artists got tips I've never heard of it.

Comment

Where are you located???? Maybe we could recommend some artisits for you to start your search with. I have artists in the family (thank god!!! Or I would have spent a mint on tatoos!!!) that could recommend someone.

Comment

If he does NOT charge you for custom drawing he is probably not worth going too.

Comment

If you expect a certain amount charge enough to get it.. If you're good no problem right? Servers who make $3/hr I understand but not someone already making over $20/hr and usually much more. Really I just dislike the whole tipping practice but will do it when needed. I really never knew tattoo artists got tips I've never heard of it.
                  I don't tip because I think they are starving and hurting for money. I tip because they just laid down a sweet piece of work on my skin that I'll enjoy forever. What's another couple of 20's or 20%?

We could be talking from different perspectives here. If your idea of a tattoo is a tribal selected from flash on the wall then perhaps you'd be less willing to tip. But if your idea of a tattoo requires four sessions totaling 16 hours, then dammit you'd better tip the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    I don't tip because I think they are starving and hurting for money. I tip because they just laid down a sweet piece of work on my skin that I'll enjoy forever. What's another couple of 20's or 20%?

We could be talking from different perspectives here. If your idea of a tattoo is a tribal selected from flash on the wall then perhaps you'd be less willing to tip. But if your idea of a tattoo requires four sessions totaling 16 hours, then dammit you'd better tip the guy.
                    I just don't understand the concept of paying someone extra to do their job... If its worth more charge more its pretty simple and takes out the guesswork.

Comment

does no one consider to keep themselves clean?

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                        Where are you located???? Maybe we could recommend some artisits for you to start your search with. I have artists in the family (thank god!!! Or I would have spent a mint on tatoos!!!) that could recommend someone.
                        Good idea, I'm located up in Allen!

Comment

I just don't understand the concept of paying someone extra to do their job... If its worth more charge more its pretty simple and takes out the guesswork.
                          I tip because it makes Me feel good. It's actually totally selfish on my part.

Comment

don't pay any less then 150 bucks an hour and go to an artist not a friend of a friend. I have a leg piece, arms, and side. All of mine are 4-8 hour tattoos. I have over 15 hours in my leg. SO go to a real shop.. Lee Bullock in Austin did my leg it was a cover up does great work. HE is also on this web site.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                              Good idea, I'm located up in Allen!
                              ACE'S in Denton did some of my work. Best artist's in a shop I've found yet. Don't remember the guys name though.

Comment

I'll check out ACES that's not too far at all. Really getting excited about all this.

Comment

Working...
                                X