Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will have to take you up on that Aaron . Thanks for the input guys

Comment

Start slow, gradual increases. I couldn't run a mile in January. I did a 10 mile race this morning in 1:20

Comment

Running only encourages cowardice, at least that's what I've been told. Like others have said take it easy at first and then build up the intensity.

Comment

The trick is to start out as fast as possible and stay hydrated with whole milk....if you wear some ill fitting shoes and push yourself as hard as possible the first few days then itll give you motivation to keep going. ......try to at least run 3 miles your first day at a full sprint ......wearing heavy clothing helps you breathe easier.....

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
            The trick is to start out as fast as possible and stay hydrated with whole milk....if you wear some ill fitting shoes and push yourself as hard as possible the first few days then itll give you motivation to keep going. ......try to at least run 3 miles your first day at a full sprint ......wearing heavy clothing helps you breathe easier.....
            I hope this is a joke.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting started myself for a couple of years now, I hope you have better luck starting than I have.

Comment

I did the couch park and it works for me.'

Comment

I'm on week 4 of the couch to 5k program.
                  I got good fitted shoes from Luke's locker and the "get running" app.
                  The App tells you when to walk and run and provides tips and encouragements.
                  The app works with your music and dims the volume when it makes announcements.
                  I like it a lot. I was a true couch potato and was never athletic or in shape and ive already ran better and further han I ever have and I'm only on week 4

Comment

Comment

If you have smart phone there is an app for your couch to 5k. It gives you a workout every day for how far to run and progressively gets harder.

Comment

Back in 2011, I went from being a couch potato to running 10 miles in less than a year. I never made it to a half marathon (13.1 miles) because my knees started giving me problems. But here's how I did.

First, I started just jogging at a regular pace until I couldn't run anymore. I'd do that at least three times a week, but sometimes more often. I didn't see a lot of progress using this method.

Second, I started jogging super slow in hopes of gaining more distance. I definitely saw some progress using this method. But I would stop when couldn't run anymore.

Third, I resolved to travel 5k (i.e. 3.1 miles) regardless of how I did it. So I'd jog until I got too tired, then walk, then jog some more, and repeat this until I made it 3.1 miles. I saw a lot of improvement with this method. My walks became shorter and shorter until I was running the whole 3.1 miles, at which time, I started to increase it.

Fourth, I went back to jogging until I couldn't jog anymore. I went from 3.1 miles to 6 miles using this method. Then I plateaued.

Fifth, I started doing things a lot differently. On Monday, I would do intervals. I'd walk maybe a quarter of a mile. Then I'd run as fast as I could until I got too tired or out of breath. Then I'd walk until I felt rested enough to do it again. Then I'd run as fast as I could. I kept doing these intervals until I reached 3.1 miles. That made me sore, but I think it went a long way in strengthening my muscles.

On Wednesday, I would jog at a regular pace until I got tired, then walk, then jog some more, and keep doing this until I reached whatever distance I happened to be at at the time.

On Saturday, I would do my long run. That's where I ran at a very slow pace as far as I could. Each Saturday, I noticed that my distance had improved. I had to start carrying water on my person. I got one of those belts that holds water bottles.

I think if I were to do it all over again, this is how I'd do it:

First, I'd go for a run walk six days a week. I would run or walk at least two miles every day. Jog a little, walk a little, etc., until you reach 2 miles or so. I'd do that for maybe two weeks.

Second, I'd go to running three times a week. On the off days, I'd do some cross training--either swimming, biking, or doing a 20 minute core work out. Those core work out really help. I'd also do some calisthenics--squats, calf raises, etc. I'd rest at least one day during the week and do no exercise. Whatever day is convenient. When I ran, I would do 3.1 miles, whether I had to walk part of it (or even most of it) or not. I would do that for three weeks.

Third, I would start doing the interval running on Mondays, regular pace on Wednesday, and long run on Saturday, like I explained above, and keep increasing my distance every weekend.

I also changed the way I ate. No more eating three big meals a day. Eat five to six small meals, and make sure you're getting enough carbs and protein. Usually carbs before a work out and protein after. I'd always drink a chocolate milk after my work outs. You'd be amazed at what eating like this does for your digestive system. My usual thing was to eat a small bowl of frozen mixed vegetables microwaved and a boiled egg in the morning. Once a week, I'd eat whatever I felt like eating--pizza, hamburger, ice cream, or whatever. That gave me something to look forward to and made it easier to eat right during the week without giving up.
                        Last edited by SamHarper; 11-03-2013, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laytonconor View Post
                          i hope this is a joke.
                          100%

Comment

i recommend couch to 5k. seen a few people have great success with it and it seems it starts you out slow and works you into it properly

a friends dad started it as a lazy guy that never had anything to do with exercise and he just did a marathon. changed his life

my advice would be to stay at it, even when you dont want to, because youll feel better after exercising whether you think you will or not. also, set small goals (times, distances).

good luck to you!
                            Last edited by TexasAggie'16; 11-04-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
                              Underrated post

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
                                Underrated post

Comment

Working...
                                X