No announcement yet.

Vanilla as an Attractant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got caught up on the thread. I might try it out on a spot. I was thinking about hanging a few wicks soaked in vanilla extract and then using it as a cover scent. Figure if they get used to it maybe I can use it to hide me a lil better.

Comment

Been doing it for 3 years, killed my biggest buck and misses one last year even bigger

Comment

I seen a guy pour it all over his hunting truck, I called it the ice cream truck, he has killed some toads, it sounds kinda Stupid. lol.

Comment

Interesting, I knew it was a good bug repellent...maybe I'll give that a shot!

Comment

So hang some wicks with vanilla on your pop up for a cover scent perhaps?

Comment

I'm thinkin I'm gonna drag a log over in front of my camera next to my feeder and start putting vanilla on it now. Let them get used to it, and then use it as a cover scent on me. The wind is really crazy in the spot I hunt so going scent free is really difficult (since you can't entirely cover up the human scent). I always seem to get winded. This might just be the ticket to that spot.

Comment

What about bees and wasp though??? Won't they be attracted to it if its used as a spray on cover scent?

Comment

works great! less filling!

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                    I seen a guy pour it all over his hunting truck, I called it the ice cream truck, he has killed some toads, it sounds kinda Stupid. lol.
                    It works.I witnessed it last year.Smells good too!Not sure if it attracted them but they weren't afraid of it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe View Post
                      Who all remembers "Cover Up" cover scent? Mudslinger sold tons of that stuff when he ran his shop, smelled just like vanilla but had a "special additive" that made it a cover scent..
                      When I hunted in Llano "cover up" was all I used for cover sent.

Comment

Works great for trapping squirrels. Cotton ball with vanillia.

Comment

I wonder what that special additive was in the "Cover Up" stuff???

Comment

It probably works. Ive used it some here and there, once I bought Comere deer and it smelt just like vanilla. So I just started buying vanilla.

Comment

Vanilla is cool in the beginning, but then it is never enough

Comment

Hello All
                                We used it many-many moons ago.
                                Put it on my galausus that slipped over my work shoes.And headed for my tree stand.

Caution
                                A few years back . Saw a U tube video. This guy put it on his boots just like I did. Went up the tree settled all in.

Then here come this little black bear. The vedio showed the bear smelling the ground trail. The black bear came to the tree. And right up the tree he went. And the hunter was kicking for his dear life. [ Later
                                Last edited by Unk Bond; 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X