• Show
Clear All

SRV
    Hendrix
    Eddie Van Halen
    Joe Satriani
    Zakk Wylde
    Dime Bag

^^Those are my favorites off the top of my head.

Some that havent been mentioned that I think deserve to:

Steve Vai - surprised no one has mentioned him
    Les Claypool (Primus) - Bass guitartist, but there isnt anyone else in the world that can play like him.

And believe it not, even though I dont like the music that's made him popular, John Mayer is a phenomenal blues guitarist.

Comment

Bass guitar is a whole different animal.

A good bass player is not heard, he is felt! All rhythm. Holds the band together along with the drummer.

Les Claypool and Billy Sheehan were guitarists trapped in a bass guitar cabinet!

They had as many or more pedal effects than any guitar players.

Steve Harris of Maiden wrote pretty much all of the guitar parts on bass guitar. That is why all of his bass lines mimic the guitar parts. He was good!

Comment

Flamenco Guitar...the measure of an Acoustic guitarists melodic creativity at speed meet - Oscar Lopez from Chili now transplanted to Canada.

At the end of his song LUCIA - listen to his fingers work the close at SPEED! UNBELIEVABLE MELODIES!

Oscar Lopez playing Lucia - SWEET WORK!

As the song closes...his supporting band start to clap and cheer as he tears the STRINGS UP! AMAZING WORK!

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
          Flamenco Guitar...the measure of an Acoustic guitarists melodic creativity at speed meet - Oscar Lopez from Chili now transplanted to Canada.

At the end of his song LUCIA - listen to his fingers work the close at SPEED! UNBELIEVABLE MELODIES!

Oscar Lopez playing Lucia - SWEET WORK!

As the song closes...his supporting band start to clap and cheer as he tears the STRINGS UP! AMAZING WORK!

Well - I'll be adding this cat to the "new to me" artist list and buying some of his stuff. Greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
            Bass guitar is a whole different animal.

A good bass player is not heard, he is felt! All rhythm. Holds the band together along with the drummer.

Les Claypool and Billy Sheehan were guitarists trapped in a bass guitar cabinet!

They had as many or more pedal effects than any guitar players.

Steve Harris of Maiden wrote pretty much all of the guitar parts on bass guitar. That is why all of his bass lines mimic the guitar parts. He was good!
            Most metal is this way, hence the power.

Comment

Brent Mason
              Brad Paisley
              Vince Gill

Comment

I give you Al di Meola. Go 3 min in and see his talent.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWfDkx4zyY"]Al di Meola - Race with Devil on Spanish Highway - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

You are late Rig. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                    SRV became one with the guitar or vice versa!

The way he played the thing was hard to fathom. How could he make his hands and fingers do that was cool!

To watch him play live was almost a spiritual experience! If it didn't memorize you then you had no soul whether you played an instrument or not.

His style of play was his style of play. I don't think anyone has really come close to copying it.

I saw a video clip of him playing with an old black blues guitarist, may have been BB King or someone like him, and to watch the old legend look on in awe spoke volumes.
                    Never got to watch him live cuz I'm too young but SRV is my favorite guitarist for those very reasons. Dude is amazing! One of my favorite things about Austin is the SRV statue on the river!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      You are late Rig. LOL.
                      I should have known that you had him on the list.

Comment

this is TALENT

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk]Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins - Instrumental Medley[/ame]

Comment

Your avatar cracks me up Sean

Comment

honorable mention

Alex Lifeson (Rush)

Duane Allman

Gary Rossington

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                              I should have known that you had him on the list.
                              Dude blew my mind in the mid 80's at a guitar clinic at the music store at LBJ and Preston.

Comment

Hendrix
                                Eddie Van Halen
                                Eric Clapton
                                Jimmy Paige
                                Toni Iommi
                                Zack Wydle
                                Tom Morello
                                Jerry Cantrell
                                Stevie Ray Vaughn
                                Dimebag Darrell

I do not think these are the greatest just who I like the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X