X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID? Found in south Texas
    Attached Files

Comment

Let's hear y'all's thoughts again. Cause I think I solved the mystery, maybe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E.TEXAS4LIFE View Post
        Thanks piney.. found this one yesterday. I was howlin in the creek! Shame it has a little damage but still a beauty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That was one fine paleo piece! Shame the base is broken but still a very fine artifact.

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
          ID? Found in south Texas
          Bell with a snapped stem..

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
            Let's hear y'all's thoughts again. Cause I think I solved the mystery, maybe.

I vote modern replica. Not a bad job of knapping, just an odd shape to me. I definitely could be wrong however.

Comment

Ok, here is my opinion for what its worth. remember Im just looking at pics and could be totally wrong.

First, the notches are ground into it instead off being flaked. this was common with novelty points because speed was the factor instead of function. The general shape looks to be from a slab instead of a Knapped stone.

The material certainly isnt native to east tx and looks to be Rhyolite from central Mexico.

Once again, thats just opinion and Ii certainly wouldnt question anyones integrity from a picture. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Bell with a snapped stem..
                Thanks! That's actually what I was thinking just wanted to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  I vote modern replica. Not a bad job of knapping, just an odd shape to me. I definitely could be wrong however.
                  I think you are correct, and here is why. When I took these pics I noticed it had glue in the center on the bottom, as if it had been attached to something. After further discussion with my dad and looking at some pictures we figured out that it fell off of an arrow that we purchased in the smokey mountains, at a gift shop some 15 years ago. Guess it was just pure luck that we stumbled across it when we were building the house pad out in the pasture. On another note I'm headed to the ranch this weekend to try and find some real ones again.

Comment

Best of luck to you in your search. Now the pressure is on to find some good points. Sure makes me want to get out and do some looking too. Post up your finds if you get something.

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                      I think you are correct, and here is why. When I took these pics I noticed it had glue in the center on the bottom, as if it had been attached to something. After further discussion with my dad and looking at some pictures we figured out that it fell off of an arrow that we purchased in the smokey mountains, at a gift shop some 15 years ago. Guess it was just pure luck that we stumbled across it when we were building the house pad out in the pasture. On another note I'm headed to the ranch this weekend to try and find some real ones again.

Im glad yall figured that out. It was pretty clear to me that it was a novelty shop point. I just didnt want to offend anyone.

Comment

Was down this past weekend getting setup for the upcoming season this past weekend and I have made it a mission to start setting apart at least an hour or two to try to locate some areas that might have some artifacts. Well back in quail season I found a broken piece in this cactus flat that's about 200-300 yards south of the main creek on the property. I walked through it Saturday and started finding good broken flint. I was about to turn back and go back to the truck and then decided I'd walk to the next bend. When I found this little point. I know it's nothing compared to some of what y'all find but it's my closest thing to being a full point that I've found since I was a kid and didn't really appreciate it like I do now. What do you guys say it is? Also, the other piece appears to be a broken? It appears worked and pretty evenly flaked on both sides. There is a large ridge on one side of the creek, should I focus on this ridge more? I'm really interested in this stuff. This is located Southwest of Carrizo Springs.

Comment

I was thinking the top point might be a Frio from what I have seen on the internet? No idea on the other piece?

Comment

Idk man but both those pieces are nice. The serrations on that little point are sweet. Bottom one looks like a finished piece to my barely educated eye. Is the flat edge/base sharp or ground down? Doesn't look broken to me except some on the tip. Nice finds

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                              Idk man but both those pieces are nice. The serrations on that little point are sweet. Bottom one looks like a finished piece to my barely educated eye. Is the flat edge/base sharp or ground down? Doesn't look broken to me except some on the tip. Nice finds
                              It's sharp, has flaking on both sides, not like it's broken off. Appreciate it brother, I can see how this would get addicting.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                                It's sharp, has flaking on both sides, not like it's broken off. Appreciate it brother, I can see how this would get addicting.
                                I've got about 6 or 7 Crown bags full of worked pieces and that one point of yours would certainly be in my top 10.. Definitely addicting.

Comment

Working...
                                X