East Texas Hunters Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Hunters Thread

Post up where you hunt , and your kills and other Into. I thought we should have our own thread since our hunting methods and style are alot different than the rest of the state.
    Tell us what you feed or what you plant and what works best in your area. How you place your sets, on trails , over feeders or ect.

I hunt in Hardin around Batson. Use feeders and hunt them until the acorns start to drop then I hunt trails and the oaks. I also hand corn with really good results.

I know there are some guys on here that have got the E Tx hunting dialed in so hopefully they will pass their knowledge on to us.
    These are my first two bow kills .
    Attached Files

Got off my lease last year and I'm planning on trying out the national forest up around the lake. When I was on a lease (Jasper county), I learned that hand thrown corn and gravity feeders brought in more and better quality deer than the timer/spin cast feeders. Food plots are a plus if they survive the weather, hogs and ph levels.

Comment

Smith county behind the house and any of the local WMAs I can

Deer in my avatar was killed behind my house

I agree that feeders are not an effective and consistent method for killing deer in this part of the state.

Natural feed sources and travel routes are your best bets. (Large amounts of scouting time and observation required)

Comment

I hunt Houston Co. While I mostly hunt private land, most of my deer were born and raised on National Forest. I plant wheat, oats, Rye, and clover. Feed year around but NONE of the big deer I kill are at the feeders although almost all were within 200yds of a feeder.

I used to think if I didn't shoot a buck someone else would. After running cameras for many years . I learned quite the opposite. The majority of the bucks that make it through their 2.5 year are unkillable to the average national forest hunter.

I don't shoot anything under 5.5 and my average is 7.5. I love East Tx!
        Attached Files

Comment

Houston Co. feed year round. We usually plant oats, rye, and clover. Since I started bow hunting I haven't killed anything yet but we have a bunch of good looking deer.

We are private land that has the National Forest on two sides of us.

Comment

Melrose....I usually just let steve243 feed them, I just try to shoot them. As luck would have it though, there are no deer in Melrose.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              I hunt Houston Co. While I mostly hunt private land, most of my deer were born and raised on National Forest. I plant wheat, oats, Rye, and clover. Feed year around but NONE of the big deer I kill are at the feeders although almost all were within 200yds of a feeder.

I used to think if I didn't shoot a buck someone else would. After running cameras for many years . I learned quite the opposite. The majority of the bucks that make it through their 2.5 year are unkillable to the average national forest hunter.

I don't shoot anything under 5.5 and my average is 7.5. I love East Tx!
              I want to come hunt with you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech08 View Post
                I want to come hunt with you!!
                GarGuy knows his stuff! Houston county is a honeyhole in itself as well...man I miss my grapeland lease

Comment

I was on a lease between Crockett and Alto for about 5yrs and loved it. Big mistake getting off but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Comment

aint no deer in east texas...

Comment

I hunt in rusk county and I'm still learning how to hunt east texas we've tried feeding year round and have come up short on hunting feeders I've killed one 8 point buck and a buddy's dad shot two does opening day from the same stand within 30 min Ive had a nice eight walk right by me in a tree stand but never stopped at the feeder. This year we are changing it up We are gona scout out and try to hunt trails. Weve always had pics of plenty of deer just havent seen them when hunting

Comment

Hunt in Anderson county on 200 acres we own 10 miles from
                        Slocum

Comment

Great idea for a thread! We should all be able to pick up some pointers here. After living in other states for 23 years I moved back to SETX last summer and joined a lease just north of Mauriceville. Got a lot of deer pics on camera and a few good bucks but only saw 2 deer during hunting season. I planted winter wheat and rye. Also used the hand corn method in some spots but also had a spin cast feeder running as well. The food plot was planted on an old logging road near a bayou. Got discouraged because I knew how tough East TX hunting could be and decided not to re-join for this year. I plan on hunting Sabine national forest around Toledo Bend and make several trips to hunt with my buddies in Mississippi. Maybe in 2014 I'll give it another try.

Comment

Hunt in shelby county and public land around lufkin

Comment

Great info guys keep it coming.
                              GARGUY WOW.

Comment

Working...
                              X