Free masons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More from the same article...

There was also a six-year study of Masonry by the German bishops and a study of American Masonry by Professor William Whalen, who was commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Pastoral Research and Practices Committee. Both studies arrived at a similar conclusion: That the principles and basic rituals of Masonry embody a naturalistic religion in which active participation was judged to be incompatible with Christian faith and practice.
    Thus, from a Catholic perspective, there is still a ban on Catholics joining Masonic Lodges. Are Catholics alone in this among Christians? No, but in contrast to Catholic allegations of rationalism and naturalism, Protestant objections are more likely to be based on allegations of mysticism and occultism.

In 1933, the Orthodox Church of Greece officially declared that being a Freemason constitutes an act of apostasy and thus, until he repents, the person involved with Freemasonry cannot partake of the Eucharist. This has been generally affirmed throughout the whole Orthodox Church. The Orthodox critique of Freemasonry agrees with both the Roman Catholic and Protestant versions: “Freemasonry cannot be at all compatible with Christianity as far as it is a secret organization, acting and teaching in mystery and secret and deifying rationalism.”
    Regular Freemasonry has traditionally not responded to these claims. In recent years, however, this has begun to change, with some Masonic websites and publications addressing these criticisms. In this era of dialogue, perhaps it’s time for a new one between Freemasonry and the Christian churches.

Comment

If you don't agree with what you think the masons are or don't intend to join, why worry about it? I'm not a mason, but have several family members that are. I've tossed around the idea of asking for a petition but I haven't made the time to do it.

It seems to me the biggest detractors here wouldn't join even if they knew every detail about the Masons anyway. Some of you guys just seem to want to make them look bad. Like has been said here already if you're that interested ask them yourselves for a petition. If you find out later you don't like it just walk away. Every Mason I've ever know were strong Christian men. I've never met a mason that was a Muslim. I also know Catholics that are involved in the Masonic lodge, Scottish rights and the Shriners.

Comment

Originally posted by JLC77 View Post
        Jesus is the Narrow gate. We aren't narrow minded, just Bible minded. Anyone can come to Christ.
        Jesus is the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
          More from the same article...

There was also a six-year study of Masonry by the German bishops and a study of American Masonry by Professor William Whalen, who was commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Pastoral Research and Practices Committee. Both studies arrived at a similar conclusion: That the principles and basic rituals of Masonry embody a naturalistic religion in which active participation was judged to be incompatible with Christian faith and practice.
          Thus, from a Catholic perspective, there is still a ban on Catholics joining Masonic Lodges. Are Catholics alone in this among Christians? No, but in contrast to Catholic allegations of rationalism and naturalism, Protestant objections are more likely to be based on allegations of mysticism and occultism.

In 1933, the Orthodox Church of Greece officially declared that being a Freemason constitutes an act of apostasy and thus, until he repents, the person involved with Freemasonry cannot partake of the Eucharist. This has been generally affirmed throughout the whole Orthodox Church. The Orthodox critique of Freemasonry agrees with both the Roman Catholic and Protestant versions: “Freemasonry cannot be at all compatible with Christianity as far as it is a secret organization, acting and teaching in mystery and secret and deifying rationalism.”
          Regular Freemasonry has traditionally not responded to these claims. In recent years, however, this has begun to change, with some Masonic websites and publications addressing these criticisms. In this era of dialogue, perhaps it’s time for a new one between Freemasonry and the Christian churches.
          Again, I think your mind is made up. Why don't you just join The Lion's Club?

Comment

I don't see where joining the Masons is for me based upon many of the same reasons some have posted on here. I also don't see why so many are acting offended by the Masons existing?!? Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen Masons advertising, recruiting or claiming to get people to heaven. Them not answering questions about what they do is a lot different than if they're lying to someone to get them to join.

Comment

Originally posted by public View Post
              Jesus is the only way.
              I didnt join the Masons to become a Christian. I was already a Christian. I didnt join the lodge to learn more about Christ. I also dont go to Bass Pro shops to become a Christian or to learn more about Christ. Two different things folks. Quit trying to turn it into something its not.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                To each his own. I am Catholic and a Master Mason. Past Master Of Albert Pike Lodge#1169. My lord is Jesus Christ and Pray to him Daily. We raises my brother in Law last night and is not Catholic. He said it meant so much to him that he would be attending church with my sister from now on. We are not a religious franternity and you religious beliefs are your own. We help each other be better fathers, husbands,sons and better brothers. But in the end it is up to you to decide what type of man you want to be.
                I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not a mason, but have seen a few threads similar to this one.

What I've gathered is there are some people that just ridicule groups or organizations that they know little about.

Actually, your post says you are both a Catholic and a Mason. It's funny how both of those groups are very similar in the fact that a lot of non-members tend to take cheap jabs at them, which typically are based on falsehoods and hearsay information.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                  Again, I think your mind is made up. Why don't you just join The Lion's Club?
                  Dude, I didn't write that article. Someone asked a question that once again a Mason wouldn't answer so I did a little research and posted what I found.

Comment

I keep seeing people accuse the masons on here of not answering questions.

If you have a specific question, ask it. I have answered a few questions on this thread only to have it come up again, so I'm getting the impression people aren't reading all the responses.

If you want to understand the issues between the Catholic church and the Masons, that goes back a few hundred years. Look up Jean Jacques De Molay and Pope Clement V.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                      I keep seeing people accuse the masons on here of not answering questions.

If you have a specific question, ask it. I have answered a few questions on this thread only to have it come up again, so I'm getting the impression people aren't reading all the responses.

If you want to understand the issues between the Catholic church and the Masons, that goes back a few hundred years. Look up Jean Jacques De Molay and Pope Clement V.
                      Ok... why don't you pray through Jesus? Why pray at all? Do you believe the God of the Bible is the same God the Muslims worship? If it's not a religion why can't an Atheist join? Why ask if someone believes in a higher power if you don't care what the higher power is?

Comment

Why don't we pray through Jesus... Because we want to be open to ALL faiths.

Why pray at all... Not a serious question. It implies if we don't pray your way (through Jesus) it's meaningless.

What Masonry teaches is to trust in your faith in your God. It doesn't matter which God that is. I can have my faith in my God and not judge someone for having his faith in his God.

If it's not a religion... You need to look up the definition of a religion. There are many organizations that require a belief in God. Have you ever been a Boy Scout? Would you call the BSA a religion? The Boy Scouts pray.

The Masons require an individual to swear an oath on the bible (or other Holy Book of the candidates choosing.) If the candidate does not believe in the God represented by that book, the Masons feel the oath would be meaningless. The US courts require (or used to) someone to swear on oath on the bible.

People can lie all they want. No one asks to see your church attendance record.

I have a Jew in my lodge and I have sat next to a Muslim in another lodge.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                          Dude, I didn't write that article. Someone asked a question that once again a Mason wouldn't answer so I did a little research and posted what I found.
                          So will you join up if you get the answer you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                            Why don't we pray through Jesus... Because we want to be open to ALL faiths.

Why pray at all... Not a serious question. It implies if we don't pray your way (through Jesus) it's meaningless.

What Masonry teaches is to trust in your faith in your God. It doesn't matter which God that is. I can have my faith in my God and not judge someone for having his faith in his God.

If it's not a religion... You need to look up the definition of a religion. There are many organizations that require a belief in God. Have you ever been a Boy Scout? Would you call the BSA a religion? The Boy Scouts pray.

The Masons require an individual to swear an oath on the bible (or other Holy Book of the candidates choosing.) If the candidate does not believe in the God represented by that book, the Masons feel the oath would be meaningless. The US courts require (or used to) someone to swear on oath on the bible.

People can lie all they want. No one asks to see your church attendance record.

I have a Jew in my lodge and I have sat next to a Muslim in another lodge.
                            Thanks for the reply. You think praying through Jesus is MY way? Jesus is very clear in the Bible about how we should pray to God (through Jesus). As a Christian there's no way I could purposely omit Jesus from my prayer. If I did that I might as well be singing Old McDonald. Praying to the God of the Bible and expecting him to hear you I would think you would want to pray as he instructed us to. That's why I asked "why pray at all?".

I asked if YOU believe the God of the Bible is the same God that all other Religions pray to and you didn't answer that. The Masons believe that to be the case. Do YOU? You said "Masonry teaches to trust in your faith in your God. It doesn't matter which God that is. Masonry really teaches that there is only one God and everybody just calls him a different name. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                              So will you join up if you get the answer you are looking for?
                              I did try to join up and posted my experience. Then some Masons laughed and said that doesn't happen. But it did happen. I'm trying to figure out if all lodges operate the same or if it was just the lodge I went to.

I also asked if the oath required a new member to say he was lost in darkness and seeking the light of freemasonry. Again, no answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
                                Exodus 20:25 KJV
                                [25] And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Romans 3:12 KJV
                                [12] They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Matthew 23:10 KJV
                                [10] Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
                                Amen.

Comment

Working...
                                X