Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Coolest artifact find EVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look guys.. I dont wanna be a nay-sayer. I would LOVE for it to be real but here is what my untrained eye sees.

The point is an archaic type and would be around 5,000 years old and appears to be authentic. The BONE is clearly much younger. I would venture less than 300 years old even if it wasnt artificially aged. He must have shot high for it to take over 4,000 years to fall.

Next is the aging itsself. Flint ages and grows a patina much different than bone. In this case, the flint and the bone both appear to have the same stain applied. Every real one I have ever seen had a much different stain on the point from the bone.

Then there is the matter of the loose splinters inside. The top of the vertebrae is damaged and quite a bit of the thick bone missing yet the broken splinters survived thousands of years.

THen there is the needle tip on the point. Every known authentic example in a spine had moderate to serious tip damage on the point. The fakes are all perfect.

Then there is the artificial flattening nof the bottom of the spine...likely to make it sit on a table or stand.

Other than these things..it could be authentic. If it turns out good , I will be amazed but, HEY, it could happen.
    Last edited by GarGuy; 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Musta been a poacher...you don't leave those 5000yr archaic points behind.

Bet he ran out of tags and saw green candlelights coming down the cow trail.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
        yes it is. far too old to be human.
        Then what shot that arrow into it? Cool find

Comment

If you look really close you can see the word "Rage" on the base of the broad head.

Comment

That's a awesome find.

Comment

At the Barrow museum in Eola Tx there are two vertebrae with arroheads in them. They also have an arrowhead collection of around 10,000. And a lot of other neat stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Look guys.. I dont wanna be a nay-sayer. I would LOVE for it to be real but here is what my untrained eye sees.

The point is an archaic type and would be around 5,000 years old and appears to be authentic. The BONE is clearly much younger. I would venture less than 300 years old even if it wasnt artificially aged. He must have shot high for it to take over 4,000 years to fall.

Next is the aging itsself. Flint ages and grows a patina much different than bone. In this case, the flint and the bone both appear to have the same stain applied. Every real one I have ever seen had a much different stain on the point from the bone.

Then there is the matter of the loose splinters inside. The top of the vertebrae is damaged and quite a bit of the thick bone missing yet the broken splinters survived thousands of years.

THen there is the needle tip on the point. Every known authentic example in a spine had moderate to serious tip damage on the point. The fakes are all perfect.

Then there is the artificial flattening nof the bottom of the spine...likely to make it sit on a table or stand.
                Other than these things..it could be authentic. If it turns out good , I will be amazed but, HEY, it could happen.
                I would say you are the expert but I can't see any saw marks

Point them out or give me a description of where please because I am having trouble seeing them and I have looked at the picture several times

Anterior (part toward the belly), end plates?

Spinous process and transverse processes broken/damaged and definantly an intrusion into the spinal canal by a foreign body which would cause paralysis. Definantly lumbar whatever it was or was modeled after

Comment

The bone does not show anough age to me.... JMO! Here is the real deal.........

April fool's

Comment

LOL! That bone is definately old enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullydog View Post
                      Awesome..

However, if this was an arrowhead sticking out of a human hand, found at a construction site. It would be the greatest find in the history of ever.
                      Heh, that made me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        This would be the best bet. Take it to a local university and have the geology and/or anthropology departments look at it. You should get a very quick answer .
                        That's exactly what I would do. Let an expert look at it. Even if it's not ancient (thousands of years old) it would be still be cool if it were only a couple of hundred years old.

If it was truly found in the dirt by someone you trust, then it's probably legit. If it was purchased off the ole Interweb, then all bets are off.

I understand that people fake relics, but people going to that kind of trouble aren't going to go out and bury them for other people to find, just as an elaborate prank.

Comment

I didn't see the arrowhead at first, that is very cool.

Comment

My humble opinion is that the point is most likely from a spear or atl atl. Too big to be an arrow point. Given that, it's very probable that the thrower was just trying to bring home supper and spined the critter. I"m honestly not sure what to say about the authenticity of the piece. I can see where it would be pretty easy to fake though. If it's real it would be a very valuable artifact.

Comment

What's the latest? Did the professor ever give his opinion?

Comment

Working...
                              X