Walk Back Tuning Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wacm View Post
    and what does finding the "true center shot" do for me?
    Good question WACM, I thought it deserved it's own thread. You can read my answer here, Why Tune?

Comment

Great post....thanks Rat.

Comment

Originally posted by Txcoonhunter View Post
        I thought French tuning was to drop the bow on the ground and say," I surrender
        Ha Ha Thats what I was thinking.

I have never seen this done before. I will definately have to try this.

Comment

Okay, I tried French Tuning today. Originally I thought of taking everything off of my bow and then starting over from scratch; however, I wanted to see if Walk Back Tuning and French tuning arrived at the same conclusion. So instead of striping the bow I just started French Tuning.

Here is what I got:
          I shot three arrows, one at a time, not as a group. The first one pushed the string to the left, the second the right and the third split the string. This was from three yards.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	split_string.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	23833954

This ten yard group shot was the only one I fired, after seeing the group I was satisfied that everything is on.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	split_group.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	23833953

So, while never having used French Tuning before I am confident in saying they both achieve the same results. The French Tuning sequence only required about 15 minutes (with no adjustments), as it requires fewer arrows and less distance than Walk Back tuning I think French tuning is the quicker way to tune.

Comment

during walk back tuning do you ever shoot it through paper

Comment

yeah rat...matter of fact thats the same tutorial i used to tune my bow a few weeks ago....the regular french tuning is pretty much the same thing but you shoot from a farther distance like instead of ten you shoot at 50....

im goin to a place tomorrow to go shoot further and see what my results are..but for some one who only has about 20 yds to shoot from french tuning can work magic..

brandon

Comment

Excellant info Rat...do you think that you could help out with a little info on how to select the right spine?

Comment

The best way to get proper spine is to use a tool like Archer's Advantage or The Archery Program (TAP). Both of these have been around awhile and are very good programs. For 35-40 dollars it it will be the best archery money you have ever spent!

I don't shoot through paper or bare shaft tune at all, I line everything up in the vise and then walk back tune and group tune.

Comment

Gonna give this a shot today

Comment

excellent post after years of bow shooting i did the walk back for the first time and my groups . . . . especially at distance have never been better.

someone should sticky this over in the tuning forum

Comment

Rat, great write up. He is also right about the paper tune. Depending on where you stand in relationship to the paper, you can get a bullet hole with an arrow/bow set up that is not tuned. Change the pressure on you bow grip and it will change the way the arrow goes thru the paper. Terry Ragsdale of PSE fame, never shot a bow that would shoot a bullet hole. He liked a slight tear in his set up saying it would always tear that way and be more consistent than a bullet hole time after time. I think it is easier to do the walk back/franch tune for most folks.

Comment

worked for me 2 years ago(see #3 reply), will do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Great post!!

Comment

I gotta check this out. Thanks

Comment

Great post.. thanks for putting it together!

Comment

Working...
                                X