Leupold vs. Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Actually, I was in the market for a scope. I narrowed it down to Leupold VX-3 and the newer Nikon Prostaff. The glass was the same. And believe it or not, the Nikon had better glass than the VX-1 and VX-2. I held them side by side and the VX-1,2's was not nearly as crisp as the Nikon.
    My experience has been the opposite. I own 2 leupolds (vari-x 2 3x9 and a Mark AR 6-18) and a Nikon Monarch 4-16. Ive always been a Leupold guy but I liked the Nikon at the store. When turned up to high power it acts like I'm looking dead into the sun even if I'm not, never had this prob with my leupolds. If on the lower powers I have no problems, its clear and it's never left zero after me beating it around. It may be something wrong with it, I don't know, but I'll be going back with Leupold the next time.

Comment

Just get a Swarovski and be done with it

Unfortunately you can't tell inside the store how clear the glass is, they all look pretty comparable. The real test is dawn and dusk and you won't see that until you've already bought the scopes and probably have them on a rifle. After talking with some folks in the know, I'm going to go with the Swarovski Z3, it's expensive but from all accounts it's worth it. My .02
      Last edited by Daniel75; 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
        No disrespect but this is an incorrect statement. Leupold's warranty goes with the scope forever. I own multiple products in both. On my "throw around guns" the Vortex is fine, but if you're wanting the best scope of the 2 Leupold beats it in every single comparison except warranty, and is side by side with them in that.
        Well they don't or didn't at one time cover their Bino's in that manor; rifle scopes must be different.

Whitch products Vortex vs Leupold did you compair in the field?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
          Just get a Swarovski and be done with it

Unfortunately you can't tell inside the store how clear the glass is, they all look pretty comparable. The real test is dawn and dusk and you won't see that until you've already bought the scopes and probably have them on a rifle. After talking with some folks in the know, I'm going to go with the Swarovski Z3, it's expensive but from all accounts it's worth it. My .02
          Or the $3K Nightforce.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
            Well they don't or didn't at one time cover their Bino's in that manor; rifle scopes must be different.

Whitch products Vortex vs Leupold did you compair in the field?
            I've got or had just about every Leupold scope they make, and currently own the Vortex Viper. The viper is ok, but the Luepolds kill it in low light.

As far as the binos go, I can't say anything about the warranty. I will say this for sure, I'd buy the Vortex binos over the Leupolds any day of the week.

Comment

Or the $3K Nightforce.
              ^^^^^this, but that'll take a little more overtime than I'm willing to work.

Comment

Their warranties are very different. Leopold only covers original owner and is not Unconditional, both are lifetime. Vortex will cover you no matter what you did to it, Just ask some folks on hear or other forums. Their have been many instances where Leopold hasn't covered a claim. They wont even post much about there warranty. Had a friend son leave his pack by the camp fire and went up in flames, Vortex would cover that and Leuo did not and would not.
                This is incorrect. I'm not getting ford vs Chevy here... I'm showing you the truth as it is.

The warranties for their SCOPES are identical... Which is what we are discussing.

Here's their warranty for their scopes straight from their site:

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee

Leupold and Stevens, Inc. is an American, family-owned, fifth-generation company that has been designing, machining, and assembling precision optical instruments for 100 years. Leupold’s® success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to building the best optics for the shooting sports and for the law enforcement / military community. It’s for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

http://www.leupold.com/resources/leu...ty-infomation/

The warranties are the same. Leupold makes better glass. I've seen it in the field, so have others here, no need in asking, just tally up the votes so far.

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                No disrespect but this is an incorrect statement. Leupold's warranty goes with the scope forever. I own multiple products in both. On my "throw around guns" the Vortex is fine, but if you're wanting the best scope of the 2 Leupold beats it in every single comparison except warranty, and is side by side with them in that.
                Steve is dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                  This is incorrect. I'm not getting ford vs Chevy here... I'm showing you the truth as it is.

The warranties for their SCOPES are identical... Which is what we are discussing.

Leupold and Stevens, Inc. is an American, family-owned, fifth-generation company that has been designing, machining, and assembling precision optical instruments for 100 years. Leupold’s® success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to building the best optics for the shooting sports and for the law enforcement / military community. It’s for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

The warranties are the same. Leupold makes better glass. I've seen it in the field, so have others here, no need in asking, just tally up the votes so far.

Steve is dead on.
                  I was talking about the Bino's from first hand expereance. Scopes are like you say. But warrenty is still different in one manor and that is accidents protectiod.

Comment

Or the $3K Nightforce.
                    Swarovski Z3 is under $1,000 in some places.

Comment

I have seen both and there is not a thing one wrong with Vortex. But when it comes down to the wire I prefer Leupold.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                        Actually, I was in the market for a scope. I narrowed it down to Leupold VX-3 and the newer Nikon Prostaff. The glass was the same.
                        Nikon Prostaff??????? Really???? That scope isn't even this equation!!!! They suck. And so does Nikon's warranty. You can have 100% failure from a brand NEW Nikon & they won't do shat about it. Back to the original question: Leupy is better glass but Vortex is better warranty. Pick which ever 1 your eyes likes the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

It states "defects in materials or workmanship" not uncoordinated owner or sloppy delivery guy.

I have a friend who ordered a vortex that showed up in a crushed box. The carrier, whose initials start with FedEx , RAN OVER THE PACKAGE!

I repeat, THE DRIVER RAN OVER THE PACKAGE!

He called Vortex and explained. They over-nighted a brand new scope to him at no charge and gave him a shipping label to send the old one back. FREE OF CHARGE.

Leupold's warranty will not cover that based on the wording in their "Full Lifetime Guarantee"

Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by sclarke85 View Post
                            It states "defects in materials or workmanship" not uncoordinated owner or sloppy delivery guy.

I have a friend who ordered a vortex that showed up in a crushed box. The carrier, whose initials start with FedEx , RAN OVER THE PACKAGE!

I repeat, THE DRIVER RAN OVER THE PACKAGE!

He called Vortex and explained. They over-nighted a brand new scope to him at no charge and gave him a shipping label to send the old one back. FREE OF CHARGE.

Leupold's warranty will not cover that based on the wording in their "Full Lifetime Guarantee"

Just saying
                            No need to base anything on their warranty wording... Lets base it on actual happenings.
                            Brothers sling came off his gun while it was on his shoulder leupy was whipped into a rock. Sent it back in, brand new scope returned.

I buy used scopes all the time and send them in to be checked... Ive sent 8 in last year; 7 were returned as bnib scopes, and the other one was fixed... So you keep thinking leupold won't fix a scope that you broke, put it up in the classifieds and i will buy it, send it in and get a brand new scope out of the deal.

Im talking a beat up m8 for a brand new vx-3. Old varix-ii for bnib vx-2 If they think its not worth their time to fix it they just replace it. Leupold stands behind their product like nobody else in the business. If you every have a problem just call them.

Comment

I don't own a leupold(yet) but do own a vortex. I will say in low light I can't see much of anything. I plan on switching soon

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
                                I don't own a leupold(yet) but do own a vortex. I will say in low light I can't see much of anything. I plan on switching soon
                                I use my cheap rifleman leupold to see in low light when I can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X