Feeder Pen Design- Square or Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
    Personally, if there's ANY way possible, I don't build a pen.
    This ^^^ is what I try to do.

In my opinion, pens are for free choice protein feeders. I have never fenced in a corn feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      LOL.....I got them at a good price or it would have been 12....

My other pen is 60-65 yards wide and 35 yards front to back enclosed with goatwire/rolled fence. I like big pens..

[ATTACH]445119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]445120[/ATTACH]
      I like the idea of hunting inside the pen!

Comment

we are putting up circle pens this year, the hog population is out of control, we are also leaving one feeder with a circle trap around it just for the hogs, setting the circle trap up next weekend and will give it a couple of weeks before setting the door and seeing what happens.

Comment

There is no perfect size, shape.
          Deer do not have an education and thus do not know shapes
          If you have trees just run a couple wires from tree to tree until you have an enclosed area

Comment

Doesn't matter so long as it is really big and low enough for fawns to get in

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
              Neither. Hang it high with a good critter cage and your done.
              Round for sure otherwise you create a corner for bucks to get trapped when sparring. If you go no pen hogs and cows will get to it.

Comment

FYI - Atwoods currently has 50" X 16' Cattle panels priced at $17.99

Comment

In my opinion, pens are for free choice protein feeders. I have never fenced in a corn feeder.
                  You are lucky.....in South Texas, hogs will push any corn feeder over and if they can't push it over, some 250 - 300lb hog will use it's body to power drive the feeder legs to SHAKE it to death, dumping corn. As they develop this technique, they take over the feeder location pushing whitetail out.

I tried one year to hunt without panel in Webb County...at least during the beginning of the season. Didn't have a way to get panels down to my blind location in my truck (no trailer) and lets just say, I had hogs with no whitetail. So many hogs, my blind location turned into a PIG TRAP....hog poop everywhere, rubs on low trees where they scratch ticks off their hide. The cows on this particular lease knocked the feeder over....the hogs cleaned out literally 300lbs of corn and I broke down and put the fence up. I finally shot enough hogs out of my new setup, with the hog panel protecting the feeder, but even then, I had hogs trying to rip the hog panel up. Several strands were grabbed by a large hogs mouth and this hog literally held onto the strand and attempted to pull the panel down. It was damaged and all I can say is a hogs bite is extremely powerful! It managed to compress a couple of strands together by it's bite as well as bending the panel out in a distorted shape...it held but, they tried to destroy it to resume their feed on a feeder that previously been wide open access to them.

Comment

Cows don't mess with my feeder and I can handle a couple of hogs. When season started, I had two groups of hogs hitting the feeder. One group had ten and the other twenty. By mid season, they were almost nonexistent. My legs are inch and a half pipe with t-post driven along the legs. Hogs rub on them but havn't moved them. I also have a spinner plate that keeps the corn from trickling off. The bottom of my critter cage is about seven feet off the ground.

Comment

Round and 12 panels. Tie them loosely end to end first then once round and all standing, move around to your liking. THEN, you set the T post and secure. Makes very easy

Comment

Cows and corn feeders don't mix even if they have plenty of grass to eat in my experience. ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	dang cows 10-7-07.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24161459

Name:	adang cow2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24161460

Name:	adang cow1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24161461

Name:	MDGC00151 (Medium).JPG
Views:	5
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24161462

New and improved that year after the above happened...

Name:	Stupid_cow_10-141.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24161463

Comment

Webb County Texas - same season - October - January

Before the hog panel went up.....dozens upon dozens of these guys. Non-stop hogs, during the morning hunt - already there feeding before I could even get in the blind to hunt.

After the hog panel went up.....and literally 1.5 months later after the panel went up, I started to see whitetail without hogs during each hunt.
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Bend the panel down.....in a preferred shooting lane....you get this.

Comment

Hand corn the ground, on the zone just outside the pen where you bend the panel down for easy access....you get this. Make sure this little hand corned spot is within your shot comfort zone. I typically like it around 20 - 30 yards, first and second pin......both pins are covering vitals very tightly...most particularly on a speed bow. Hold low to compensate for the animals drop as you dump the string....so you don't shoot high and hit the void.

Comment

Bend it inboard and create your own personal deer funnel....it's this simple

Comment

Working...
                                X