See less

Feeder Pen Design- Square or Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on what you're trying to fence out. If it's just cows and no hog problem, I'd do what I did. I made a square barbed wire pen that is 35 yards square 3 strand. The pen is big enough to allow the deer to be comfortable and not feel confined, and using three wires spaced about 13-15" apart allows most deer to just step between the top and middle wires without having to jump into the pens. I've had 150 class bucks do this many, many times. If you are having to keep hogs/javelina out, then panels is the way to go. I converted one of mine and I took a roll of goat wire and wired it to the barbed wire that was already there. It has successfully kept the javelinas out so far, but I don't like the deer having to jump into the pen. It's big so I guess it's OK.

Comment

Re: Feeder Pen Design- Square or Round?

To me its all gonna depend on how many post you gotta drive in the ground and where u hunt.. I use to hunt in comstock tx. and it was not fun driving anything into the ground but if this is not an issue go round.

Comment

Round and 12 panels. If you decide to trap pigs someday by adding a saloon door, you will keep more of what you catch in a round one. They jump out at the corners of my square ones when I trap them. I catch them frequently in the one round one I have.

Comment

Round and at least 8 panels. The more the better. Also close to cover makes the deers feel more at ease!

Comment

We have some round and some square I have not seen any difference in many years.best results I like 14 to 16 hog panel pens

Comment

Feeder Pen Design- Square or Round?

the bigger the better. ive seen guys with really small ones that the deer didnt feel comfortable jumping

Comment

Round and 12 panels minimum.

Comment

Round if you have a spinner feeder, there are less issues if all the corn stays in the pen. Self feeder type, it does not matter. Bigger the better.

Comment

I vote round as you can get(if you're using trees for corner posts)

Comment

Round and overlap the panels by about two feet, makes the pen almost stand up by itself, I do 7 to 10 panels, tie them all together flat on the ground and stand them up, form a circle and drive the post, the wife and I put a pen up last year in less than an hour.

Comment

Round

Comment

Prefer round and the bigger the better. This one is 20 panels....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slacker Blind2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24159646

Name:	Slacker 1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	24159648

Name:	Slacker Blind3 (Medium).JPG
Views:	7
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	24159649

Name:	IMG_3803 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24159647
                          Last edited by Smart; 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Round. 12 panels is what we used this year. Kept the hogs out finally. Hadn't seen deer in a year. Have deer everywhere now that it is a deer only pen.

Comment

Round,Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358476894.867324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	24159667Mine has 10

Comment

I would agree, round if you are gonna use panels. If you are gonna use barbed wired, just stretch it tight between some trees, add a few cedar staves as needed, and/or pound in a few t-posts to add some strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X