Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 5.0 motor is the same motor that goes in the mustang GT, it is totaly different from the 5.4. I believe that ford calls the 5.0 the "coyote" motor. Its a true 302 cubic inch motor.

Comment

You need to get another love mobile. Like the one you had when you were pimping gloves!

I'm looking at replacing one of my service trucks for my technician. I'm leaning towards what Howard is suggestion.

Good luck with your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
        I have seen several people mention Vernon Auto Group, but I was wondering what the deal is with them. I see the free lifetime powertrain warranty which does sound like a nice benefit. Any other reason?
        I know as much about them as you, they do have good prices from what I have seen. The only catch that I can come up with is you have to keep records of your preventive maintence. Some of these problems that I have been seeing on these engines are miss use or using for something other than what was intended. If you pull a heavy trailer several miles at high speeds it's gonna have issues, that is what desiel engines are for. The rumuor is Ford is going to make a v8 model and put it in the f 350's for heavy hauling.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	24130848
          Here is mine.
          Best thing you can do Heath is drive it for yourself. Sure the V8 sounds better but I want to feel an engine not hear it. And I think this thread is pretty true to the real world, Prob 1-2 that have problems out of 15-20 on the rd. If you treat it nice on the throttle it will treat you nice at the pump. The new has worn off mine and I now drive like I always do, HARD. Even with the Grill guard, and one size bigger bfg's, I still get 14-15 stop and go around town and 17-18 on hwy at 65-70.
          Like said above pulling any trailer heavy or light and mileage will drop to 10-11. No biggy for me as that was the same as my 09 diesel and gas is .40-.50 cheaper. Good luck in what ever you buy.

Another good source is to look at the F150 forum. Same as tbh but for f150. Alot of good info on this same subject.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
            I know as much about them as you, they do have good prices from what I have seen. The only catch that I can come up with is you have to keep records of your preventive maintence. Some of these problems that I have been seeing on these engines are miss use or using for something other than what was intended. If you pull a heavy trailer several miles at high speeds it's gonna have issues, that is what desiel engines are for. The rumuor is Ford is going to make a v8 model and put it in the f 350's for heavy hauling.
            That is the catch that I saw as well. It looks like all the preventive maintenance has to be done by them or at one of their shops. Since it does not cost you anything I see were there would be no downside if you don't follow through with their requirements.

My other issue is I think I am pretty much locked in to the King Ranch truck since I have wanted one for awhile. I am willing to look at some others but I am going to start there. I only like White Fords, 4x4, has have the Navigation system, and be a crew cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
              The old v10s they were puttin' in the Dodge pickups back in the day were only makin' 300hp...and we all thought that was big time back then...
              3.7 LTR 300 HP and 278 ft/lbs
              8.0 v10 300 HP and 450 lf/lbs

not quote apples to apples.. lol

compare the 3.7 v6 to a "kick butt" vortec 350 from the mid nineties that everyone thought was power houses..... they only had 260 Hp and 330 lf/lbs...

the 3.7 is a very strong motor and very simple when compared to Fords other designs..

Comment

I average 18.7 mpg when I drive hard and 19.6 when I drive more sensibly in my 2012 EcoBoost. This is a good engine and it can pull a heavy trailer well. But when I pulled a 26 ft 3800 lb trailer my mileage did drop to 13.2 mpg on a 300 mile trip. But I was passing 18 wheelers on I-35 at 85 mph with relative ease.

Comment

Originally posted by ltbre8 View Post
                  The 5.0 motor is the same motor that goes in the mustang GT, it is totaly different from the 5.4. I believe that ford calls the 5.0 the "coyote" motor. Its a true 302 cubic inch motor.
                  That's good, because the 5.4 is a piece of junk!

Originally posted by kelley350x View Post

compare the 3.7 v6 to a "kick butt" vortec 350 from the mid nineties that everyone thought was power houses..... they only had 260 Hp and 330 lf/lbs...
                  They were good for 300,000+ miles though!

Comment

In all honesty when u turbo a truck ur going to get big numbers only thing that makes the Eco special is that it comes factory with turbos. u put a set up like that on a 5.3 and 475 hp is pretty common, with great gas mileage I like the Chevys better but I would get one with the 6.2 i love my 5.3 tho but i would do the 6.2 just because its a truck not a car

Comment

That is the catch that I saw as well. It looks like all the preventive maintenance has to be done by them or at one of their shops. Since it does not cost you anything I see were there would be no downside if you don't follow through with their requirements.

My other issue is I think I am pretty much locked in to the King Ranch truck since I have wanted one for awhile. I am willing to look at some others but I am going to start there. I only like White Fords, 4x4, has have the Navigation system, and be a crew cab.
                      I couldn't find a KR with Nav when I got mine so I went with the same thing basically you have listed but Lariat version. Keep in mind that the "off-road" package may only come with the 3.73 gears. I'd definately go with the 3.55 for more highway driving.

I pulled my 22' cargo trailer with a Toyota 4Runner inside. Bucking a head wind from Ft Worth to Houston I got 11.5. Plendy of power to move it for sure. The cushy suspension that makes it ride so good unloaded also squats when you put a load in the back (even a few 100 lbs will raise the projection of the headlights). I'm not used to that in my 3/4. Again, I got mine to drive back and forth to work and not for heavy lifting. 18,000 miles now and mileage improved between 9-11k.

Comment

I'm still going to check some out locally and see if they can match the warranty which is just an insurance policy. As is with most insurance policies they gamble on the more not using it than do. I'm leaning toward the platnium because it has it all or a KR with the power steps, I also want the 6 foot bed.

Comment

You'll have to dig around the package details but if you have any trouble finding a KR I'm almost positive that the FX is the same package. Only difference is the leather in the seats and the running W branding.

The KR, FX and Harley are all lariat trucks with specific upgrades. Badging, branding and only minor details are the differences. (I know the KR has better/different leather used in the seats)
                          The FX has a little better offroad suspension than the KR, but the interior - nav, sync, heated and cooled seats, built in 120V inverter, etc.. - is all the same.

Comment

I have the V8 and my buddy bought the ECO. We get the same mileage, so I'd go with the V8 for better resell value.

Comment

I have a 5.0 v8 but rode in a 6.2 a few weeks ago. They guy just traded a 2011 Eco boost for it and loves it. He pulls horse trailers up in the mountains last week and said it had all the power and some that he needed. Gets about 13mpg unloaded

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                                I have the V8 and my buddy bought the ECO. We get the same mileage, so I'd go with the V8 for better resell value.

An Eco isn't your standard v6 and it costs more than the v8 so I doubt the resale will be any higher on the 5.0 than the Eco. This ain't your daddies v6!

Comment

Working...
                                X