• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I meant Concho County not Howard.

Comment

And the mistery is solved!^^^^^^^^

Comment

Pyrobow put Diamond on her 1st live trail tonight. I shot a doe and let her lay for 2 hours before we went out to trail. I didn't think I had made a very good shot and was not confident in finding the deer. Diamond did an awesome job and now has a 100% recovery rate.
        Attached Files

Comment

As rhester posted for me last nite. Diamond got her first. It was not what I was looking for her first. I really wanted a blind man trail. Rhester made a shot close to dark that he said was forward: and maybe just a low clip. He back out immediately because we had all agreed that we wanted to give the dog some experience. We went in 2 hrs later.
          I took Diamond to the food plot and walked her to the spot. Robert had marked the spot with his arrow which had some blood on it. After I got her off the arrow she picked up the trail quickly and took it to the edge of the plot about 10 yards away. At the edge of the plot she lost the trail. Wandered around and then headed up the edge, I knew that was wrong so I pulled her back to the trail. After a short search she picked up and into the mesquite we went with her trying to pull my arm off. 30 to 40 yards in she lost the trail and went to searching. She picked a few trails, coon I think thatI had to pul her off of. Then she starts pulling the other direction, I thought she was wrong but I keep reading trust you dog so off we go. About 20 yards her head comes and she gets nervous and anxious, I knew something was up so I shined my light ahead and there was the deer. She stayed back 5 ft wanting nothing to do with it.
          After coaching a couple of minutes I got her up where we could get pics. While we were taking pics she licked some of the lung blood and took possession of the deer. After that it was her deer.
          Not a perfect track but at 7 months with a poor blood trail, it was a great job for her FIRST.

Comment

Congrats! Hopefully first of many

Comment

Thanks Troup! I wondered where he got the number. You can give my number anytime.

I hunt in Concho county and I'm out there a lot, so tha'ts why I was on the area.

Good job and congratulations rhester!

Comment

how long after can a dog pick up on a blood trail? i shot one this weekend that i could not find

Comment

Originally posted by lmloggins10 View Post
                  how long after can a dog pick up on a blood trail? i shot one this weekend that i could not find
                  Oldest one I did was 48 hrs old, October 2011. Gut shot, recovered the deer right at a mile long.

Comment

I could not tell you for sure. Maybe some of the more experienced trackers will speak up.

Comment

It depends on the weather conditions as well.

Comment

There hasn't been any recoveries lately! Guess we are making better shots as the season progresses!

Comment

Cool Thread!!

Comment

Fresh find. 250 yards. Thanks Hambone.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by huntex View Post
                              Fresh find. 250 yards. Thanks Hambone.
                              Nice, love me a good hound dog

Comment

48 hrs is definetely possible with the right dog and the right conditions.

Triton is 3 for3 so far with one scoring 189 5/8 and 24 hrs old.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Originally posted by lmloggins10 View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X